What 4 cartridges for all of North America?

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
What four cartridges would you choose for ALL of your North American hunting adventures? That's what most of us at the best might be able to accomplish so that's why I said North American game. Which ones would you pick?

1. .22 LR - For pests and small game. Everyone needs a good .22.

2. 6mm Remington- For varmints, deer, antelope, sheep, goats.

3. .280 Remington or 30-06 for antelope on up to Alaska moose. Guess I would have to have them both because I cannot get rid of either! :grin:

4. .300 WSM or 338-06 for the larger stuff including the big bears. I know the 300 WSM would be on the bottom minimum, but I feel it would work with good bullets and good shooting. This of course coming from someone who has not had the good fortune to hunt grizzly or Kodiak brown bears, and probably never will have that opportunity. We still need to dream though don't we!!! That's my list. What say you?? :?:

The cartridges listed would work. However, for myself, I'd probably go with:

1. 22 LR
2. 257 Bob (because I have it)
3. 280 Rem, 7mm RM or 30-06 (any of the three will work)
4. 325 WSM or 35 Whelan

However, what a dull world it would be if I could only have four cartridges.

Tough one to answer.......

22-250
257 Roberts
280 AI
338 RUM

JD338

1. 17 mach 2 more fun than the standard 22 long rifle 2. 243 win for coyotes and antelope. 3. is my 257 stw for deer on up to bull elk. 4. is the 300 win mag for anything bigger.

Just four is asking too much of a guy. Hmm, I'll agree with JD but put my good ol 7mm Rem Mag in place of the 280AI, just cuz. Not much difference there. Dagn thing is, I only have two of the four. Guess I'll need to work on the 22-250 and the 338 mag.

Some great replys. I forgot, we should add one more item at least......... We need a shotgun, and I guess I would go with a .12 GA. What was I thinking!

Since my hunting is "just" stateside.

17HMR
22-250
270WSM
338 Federal

If I had to trim down to four. If I could keep one more(300WSM), I would hate to get rid of that one.

6mm Remington":1n0ub63g said:
Some great replys. I forgot, we should add one more item at least......... We need a shotgun, and I guess I would go with a .12 GA. What was I thinking!

I was thinking that when I "compiled" my list. A guy should really have at least 2-3 shotguns........

JD338

Well...

1. .17 HMR For teaching my daughter how to shoot and for little things around the house that "bug" me :twisted: (it is the only gun my wife lets me take the screen out of the window and shoot off the crapper)

2. .243/.243 AI My new Savage 12 LP. For yotes, long range plinking and maybe a few speed goats and deer along the way.

3. 280 AI/7 Mag Main deer, speed goat gun, and back up elk/bear gun. Hopefully a few carbou, dall, deasert, california, and rocky mountain sheep. and a mt goat would be a dream come true!

4. .338 WM Main elk/black bear gun, and hope fully a moose or two, a grizz.

And I could never forget the trusty 870 express 12 gage!

it is the only gun my wife lets me take the screen out of the window and shoot off the crapper

That sounds interesting. What is hanging around that needs shooting?

Magpies stealing dog food, wild cats trying to kill my quail and pheasants, black birds and starligns that crap on everything....anything moves really. Gotta keep up on my shooting skills :lol:

Guess I should clear up a bit... I don't shoot off the crapper while using it! it just makes a handy shooting seat!

jmad_81":edwsncsg said:
:twisted: (it is the only gun my wife lets me take the screen out of the window and shoot off the crapper)

if you only know how many lbs Pb have gone out my bathroom window.... :shock:

JD338

DrMike":1kugta5j said:
if you only know how many lbs Pb have gone out my bathroom window....

I have lived a sheltered life!

My backyard is carved out of the woods so we have an abundance of wildlife we watch and enjoy. We also have a lot of pest and vermin too.
My Remington M541HB 22LR has taken care of raccoons, possums, skunks, woodchucks, red squirrels, chipmunks, voles, and even 2 mice off one of the bird feeders.
Here is part of my backyard to give you an idea-
Backyard081508a.jpg

Backyard081508.jpg

JD338

Mike.....
That makes two of us being sheltered...... :lol: I've shot a lot of stuff from a lot of places, but the water closet isn't one of them.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beautiful back-yard JD !

Back