What 4 cartridges for all of North America?

Please don't anyone let my wife know that I could do all my hunting with only four long guns... :shock: Or fewer...

A shotgun, a rimfire, and a mid-sized center-fire rifle would do it all, say a .22, a 12 ga and a .30-06, or some similar mix...

I've got her pretty well convinced though that I NEED at least three or four shotguns, a couple of rimfires, and a whole herd of centerfire rifles... She tolerates my hobby pretty well... :grin:

I sometimes think that our wives are not as unaware as we imagine. They are just tolerant of our proclivity to accumulate things that make loud noises.

You're right. We've been married 28 years. She knows me well and remembers when all we had for guns between the two of us was one shotgun, one center fire rifle, her .22 rifle and a revolver... Even with just one center-fire rifle, I hunted... It's just been more fun, playing with all the different guns over the years.

She tolerates the hobby quite nicely, even smiling when I tell her about some new toy gun I want or a load I'm happy with...

Patrick McManus- (story) Gun-running

I don't remember which book of his this short story is in, but if any of you have read his stuff, it is pretty darn funny. This one in particular as it talks about all the ways he got guns past his wife. You will bust a gut laughing. I won't give it all away, but I believe in the stories he calls his wife bun, and he talks about having an expandable gun locker so he can just keep adding on. He said that women won't pay attention to how many guns are in the cabinet, just how many empty spaces there are, so if you have two empty spaces and 8 firearms and you want more, you just keep adding to this expanding cabinet. He talks about how his wife Bun was telling him one day after cleaning house that she must be getting old because it took her half an hour just to clean the gun cabinet on the outside. There are many more examples in this one short story and I won't give them away. Worth a read for sure! :lol:

Pat McManus is a favourite writer for sure. I have most of his books. He has given me many hours of pleasure and laughter.

Guy Miner":3vz3p2h5 said:
Please don't anyone let my wife know that I could do all my hunting with only four long guns... :shock: Or fewer...

A shotgun, a rimfire, and a mid-sized center-fire rifle would do it all, say a .22, a 12 ga and a .30-06, or some similar mix...

I've got her pretty well convinced though that I NEED at least three or four shotguns, a couple of rimfires, and a whole herd of centerfire rifles... She tolerates my hobby pretty well... :grin:

Guy,

I told my "child bride" almost 24 years ago that having guns is like golf, you can't play the game with just one club. :lol:

JD338

I've been mostly a bow hunter for the last twenty years so my choices are based on my latest acquisitions. I guess I like'em short and stout.
(sorry honey!)

17HMR
22-250AI
270WSM
325WSM

I can always load down - My 308 I'd keep just for target and range work
(Is that cheating?)

Guess I gotta pick another rifle, cant leave out my triple deuce.

Dont have much use for a 22LR anymore. I do have a nice Ruger 10/22, but I honestly haven't shot it much since I started shooting and loading centerfire rifle. I would rather practice with a 22 cal varmint rifle...

what the heck, everyone else is on here!

22lr... self explanator
257 roberts (handloaded in a strong action) for antelope and sheep
280 rem for long range deer, elk, moose, etc
35 whelen for everything else and close work on moose, elk and deer.

All these rounds except 22lr will chamber readily in a standard mauser 98 action , if need be could be made from 30-06 brass and can be loaded to the max in that use. Never been a big magnum fan. I'd have to consider a Win 71 in .348 or a sav 99 in .358 win for the close work if I could have one. If not, I guess I'll stick with my rebarreled kraut rifles.

Dr Mike, I was just going to say the same thing! Either way, the 340 and 338 are so close for the average hunter, hunting within 500 yards they are both about the same for my purposes! I do really think his other choices are spot on too! Scotty

DrMike":1kmqhgje said:
Mike!

No 338 Win? Are the planets all aligned?

Yes!!!! I put the 338Win as one of the four!!!! It is just on steroids, that is why you did not recognize it.

My particular hunting adventures do not include varmint hunting!

Four uh?

270 Win (no gots)
300 WSM (gots)
338 Win (no gots)
375 Ruger (gots)

Evenly spread out!

1) 22LR. Everyone's favorite plinker.

2) 270 Win. My longer range, easy shooting, versatile rifle.

3) 45-70 Marlin-stainless. My favorite bear protection. I might add this is not
my choice for hunting bear but when hiking and fishing in think cover, this
is the gun I want to pack.

4) 338-06 This is my moose and deer rifle. The 338 Win, is the Alaska gun but
I hate recoil and muzzle breaks so the 338-06 is my compromise.

When it comes to Shotguns. I like one of each: 410, 28, 20, and 12.

Steve

Back