What are the thoughts on a 7mm RUM?

Depends what you are using it for and what ranges. Either will stomp a deer and the like but a 300 will hit even harder and can be used for a little bigger stuff with a little better bullet selection, although I would stick to a 180 or larger. Both would get a brake so recoil's not an issue. Either will work fine for most if not all of north america. Like I said in the beginning of this post-depends what you are looking to use it for and what range.
Me, I'd get the 300RUM and use it for everything long range. I just might someday :p

I would use it for a deer. I have several other rifles but was just looking for something to play with for long range. :mrgreen:

I sold my 7mm RUM.

That said I think the caliber rocks!

140 Accubonds at 3600 fps. That is flat buddy!

If its for deer only, then the 7mm RUM gets the nod. If you ever plan on coming out West for elk, then the 300 RUM gets the nod.

7mm for deer, 300 for elk/bears. However, the 300 is and always will be more versatile. The 300 will always work on deer to of course. If I was going to use the 7 RUM, Id look at the 180g VLD. For the 300 RUM, the 210g VLD or 200g AB would get my vote.

There has got to be some reason that there are so many used rifles for sale in 300RUM. I sold mine and have never regretted it. Pain in the butt to reload for that thing. I have reloaded for years in many calibers. Never had a round that was so finicky to work up a load for. The rifle was a Browning Stalker, but I have heard like complaints about the 300RUM in other brands of rifle.
If you are satisfied with groups twice the size of what can be produced by a 30-06, go for the 300RUM.
The older, proven 30cal mags will do it without all the headaches associated with the 300RUM.
Never had a 7mmRUM so I cannot comment on that particular cartridge. Always have liked the 7mm family of cartridges.

The reason you hear more bad about the 300 RUM is because it sells more then probly all the other RUMS put together. Sure you might have got a bad one, but the real finicky one of the bunch is the 7 RUM. I"ve read/heard more accuracy problems from that caliber then the others.

Also forgot to mention. Its a lot harder to get a rifle that has more then twice the recoil to shoot as well as one with lesser. Most peoples comfort level ends on the 30-06 w/out muzzle brakes. Unless one has a brake on a 300 RUM, (usually) they wont ever get as good as groups. Try shooting a rifle that has 40+ ft lbs kick and develop good loads vs. a rifle that might kick with 20ft lbs.

I have a Savage 116 in 300 RUM and it's a tack driver. When I'm shooting properly this rifle yields 1/4" three shot groups. Wasn't difficult developing a load. The most accurate powder tested and most accurate load for that powder turned out to work just great in this rifle using 200 grain Accubonds.

I had a Rem 700 LSS in 300 RUM and it to was a great shooting rifle with many different bullets. I didn't have a muzzle brake on my rifle either and was able to work up loads just as easy as teh rest of them. The RUM series are very accurate cartridges, especially as the range increases. I was able to shoot my smallest groups at 525, and 800 yards with the 300 RUM. All in all, I love the cartridge and definately would buy another.

+1 to what remingtonman25_06 said.
The RUM recoil is too much of a good thing for some shooters.
Actually there are not very many 300 RUM's on the used gun racks in my neck of the woods.
The 7mmRUM is the finicky one of the bunch, that is why Nosler never published any loading data.

JD338

If it's mostly deer hunting and/or 1-2 lifetime moose/elk hunts ,get the 7mm RUM. 140/ 160 AB for deer and 175gr NP for moose/elk. My brother shot 2 whitetail bucks with his Rem 700 Sendero SF in 7mm RUM with 160gr AB at 3300fps at 125 and 300 yds with awesome results. The bucks didn't move one step.The 7mm RUM or the 7.21 Firebird are probaly the best long range deer cals. If your mostly moose/elk hunting get the 300 RUM and stoke it with 200gr AB or PT.

IMO, the 7RUM is way overbore & you would be better off w/ a 7STW or 7mmDakota. You are just burning way too much powder & burning bbls. to get maybe 100fps over the 7STW. I have a Ruger #1 rechambered to 7mm Dakota & get 3200fps w/ 160grNP using only 74gr of IMR7828. You would have to use 84gr+ to get that from the RUM, 76gr in the STW.

I was looking at a 7mm rum a while back.
I have never fired a 7 rum and had not heard much about them. I did a little research and found that most said they are barrel burners. I don't know anything about the 300 rum but I shoot a 300 win and like it alot.
There is an abundant supply of brass and bullets for the 300 win.

I have both the 7mm and the 300 and I really like them both. The 7 is finnicker (sp) to reload than the 300 but once you find a load it works great. The thing I found is people either hate the 7mm or love it-no middle ground. As far as a "barrel burner" it depends on what you plan to use it for. If your going to use it just for hunting than it will probably last you a long time. It seems 1500-2000 rounds will kill alot of game.

Back