What cartridge do you think deserves more love?

I tend to agree, but if they added a metal bottom metal and a metal magazine it'd increase the price to 200 more than what it is. A lot would be willing to pay that, however. They shoot like they're in the next price point anyways.

I don't know, there's plenty of people that would argue with the right finessing on loads that a $300-$400 Ruger American will give a rifle like a Tikka stiff competition on accuracy. I expect at that price point to have pieces that stand out as not suiting me. I'm not running down a Tikka rifle, but at that price point that mag doesn't fit the rifle. Not in my opinion anyways which is all it is, but if I can't be impressed I can at least gripe.

Michsteve said, "Okay I will change this up, any caliber that comes in a nice walnut stock with a Mauser action. Bring back the 98ers instead of the cheap throw away rifles."

You won't get any argument from me. All my custom rifles except one are based on 98 Mauser actions, mostly FNs and usually J.C. Higgins sold by Sears when Sears sold guns. Some say they're not Mausers but I'll argue that point as Mauser licensed FN to make Mauser rifles under the FN banner.
You ask why don't they make nice rifles on mauser actions anymore? The do but have you seen what a new genuine Mauser rifle costs these days? I read a report on the new M98 Mauser which is for all practical purposes exactly like the originals. $12,000 and change although I have heard of some going for $8,000 and that's for a plain model. Prices go up from there. They're using CNC machinery to make them so a lot of the labor has been removed during construction. It's like buying a rifle from Rigby. I'd love to have a genuine .275 Rigby but it's nothing but a $12,000 Mauser with $2,000 added for the Rigby name. I can easily duplicate that Rigby rifle for right around $3,000 using one of my FN Mauser actions and unless you look at the name on the action you won't be able to tell the difference. Like the Rigby, you're paying a premium for the Mauser name. Bells and whistles are extra. FWIW, I wouldn't mind getting hold of a Rigby Highland Stalker to try just to see how well they shoot. That might be interesting.
Paul B.

Decades ago, just out of high school and a hunting fool, I passed treestand time by mentally building a list of rifles that were perfect for me.
My senior year you could read an article about the 7 Rem. Mag. in nearly any outdoor publication. I liked the way they looked. Even like the belt on the cartridge case. In short, I quickly became enamoured. And, they made one in lefthand.
So the first one I bought was the Rem. Model 700 in 7 mag. It was the best rifle purchase I ever made and I still hunt it today.
Top on the list though was a .300 Winchester Magnum for long shots and larger game. Works perfect.
Then to round out my personal battery I needed a more woodsy caliber. So I added a .308 Tikka to the list. Works perfect.

But the 7 mag remains my favorite cartridge. It just works great. Just as it has for decades. Though now you hardly hear of true Remington 7mm rifles anymore just the newer stuff.

A buddy dropped off a Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 to work up some loads for. Wood stock and attractive enough rifle that feels decent to shoulder and I bet it will shoot. But that magazine???? Good grief. If you removed it empty and dropped it on a windy day you would have to chase it down the hill through the woods. A lighter flimsier feeling piece would not be possible.

Does every rifle have to have a feature or features that proves they can out do China by producing the cheapest piece possible that still works?? I'll pay the extra, but at least on pieces that are not hidden and I'm able to handle and feel, make me appreciate quality by not issuing something that if it were something else of similar size and construction I could pick up at Harbor freight for $1.97 a piece.
Another thing to be careful about with the Tikka. The recoil lug is just a metal square that slides between receiver and the built in slot in the stock. So if you take one apart watch for it so you don't lose it. It's not a solid one piece construction receiver like on a Mauser action would be.

that Tikka magazine may look cheap , but buy one . I bought a spare for my Tikka 595 , if I remember right it was right at $80 . it did look cheap , until I saw the price tag .
Selway armory had the extended 5 round ones for 30/06 length rounds on sale couple months ago. I picked up a few I think for $30 apiece.

280 Remington: I had this caliber in three different rifles. Those rifles are gone but I currently have a 280AI. All in hunting rifles.

284 Win: Found a new/unfired Model 88 in a backwoods hardware store in Upstate NY in 1968. Bought it with the hangtags for $135 USD. Couldn’t stand the Model 88 trigger system so I dumped it. My current 284 Win is a 22 pound F-Open rifle, throated for 180 Bergers hybrids. That cartridge has certainly come into its’ own. I have thought about building a 284 Win sporter on a long action, throated for max magazine length but since I have the 280AI, it doesn’t make much sense.

222 Rem: I have several of those in Sako short actions in the cabinet. Had a 40x H2 that I shot in club level score matches back in the day that the PPC was the new kid on the block. A few other 222 Rems in sporter rifles have passed through my hands, but that caliber will always grace my cabinet. I’ll take a 222 over the 223 any day.

300 SAV: I have my grandfathers Model 99F. What a marvelous rifle in the hand. Often thought that I would snag a Rem 722 in that caliber if I ever came across one. I’m not sure but I think Rem may have offered a 700 Classic in that caliber.

7BR: I had model 7KS that came out of the Remington custom shop. With a 2.5x8 Leupold on top, it weighed 6.5 pounds. With a 20” barrel, it was a very quick pointing rifle and certainly as effective as any 30-30 Model 94.

338 Federal: I built one on a Sako L-579 in a McMillan Sako Classic stock. Shot a small buck with the Federal Factory 185 grain Barnes TSX. WOW! Talk about DRT! I couldn’t get anything else to shoot to my satisfaction out of that rifle and then Federal dropped the load before I could get more of them. Rebarreled that rifle to 308 Win with a Brux 1-10. I regret not snagging a Sako 85 in that caliber when they were around. Kimber rifles are a 4-leter word with me, so that leaves them out.

338-06: A-Square attempted to make this caliber viable and Weatherby did chamber for it. I looked at it a lot but why not just load a 338 WM to that level if you have to use a along action anyway?

338-06: A-Square attempted to make this caliber viable and Weatherby did chamber for it. I looked at it a lot but why not just load a 338 WM to that level if you have to use a along action anyway?
The same could be said for a lot of cartridges. Why use a 25-06 if you can just light load a 257 wby? Why use a 270 winchester if you can just ligthload a 270 wby? Why use a 30-06 if you can just lightload a 300 win mag? It goes on.
The main advantage to a Weatherby rifle in 338-06 is the use of their 6-lug lighter action. The main advantage to a 338-06 in other rifles is the sheer amount of brass available for 30-06.
I digress.

Hmm late to party I know I have agree with the 32 Win Spl and 35 Rem in lever guns. The urge for a quarter bore led me to the 25-45 Sharp's for something a little different in an AR. 325 WSM is a favorite that never caught on as well as 7mm WSM in bolts guns. My 260 Rem build seems to run just fine with the Creeds. Maybe I just like underdogs.

As long as the 22lr and 22 mag have been brought up another cartridge that I owned and really liked was the Rem 5MM Mag. I killed a lot of chucks with the one I had out to 175yds, I still have a partial box of 5mm Mag ammo in the cabinet.
FWIW, the 5mm Rem Mag is available again but I can't recall who offers it.
As a kid, I always wanted one. Pretty cool cartridge.

JD338

FWIW, the 5mm Rem Mag is available again but I can't recall who offers it.
As a kid, I always wanted one. Pretty cool cartridge.

JD338
I thought it was Aguila that makes it. Remington came out with rounds that were ahead of their time and the 5 mm RM is one of them. It beats the 22 LR, 17 HMR and 22 WMR in my opinion.

Back