What have you taken bear with?

"Bet she was glad you had a handgun!"

I guess although at the time she was probably on the other side of the fence. My biggest problem was where we were camped. We were camped quite close to Yosemite National Park and back then having a firearm on park ground was a really big no no. We just were not sure if we were over the line or good to go. BTW, the young lady took a lot of stitches. I never had the opportunity to see her again so don't know if I'd have gotten a thanks. It was just my nature to have the gu with me. I've never camped anywhere and not had afirearm of some sort. These day it would either be one of my .44 magnums or Ruger Bisley 5.5" with John Linebaugh level loads and the 250 gr. Keith bullet.
Paul B.

I am so glad that now it's legal to have a firearm in the National Parks. However, I will admit to having one anyway, even before it was legal. Seemed downright dumb to camp in an area known for bear & other big, sometimes surly, animals and NOT have a way for dealing with one if necessary. So ya, I broke the law and had usually a magnum revolver of some sort with me, if not both a handgun and a rifle. They just stayed discretely out of sight.

Heck, I keep 'em discretely out of sight now. :)

BTW, if you do take a firearm to one of our national parks, remember that the structures there are all considered "Federal buildings" and carrying the gun inside is not legal. It would be real easy to get in trouble for that one.

Guy

And again with the silily camera:

rz9J3anh.jpg

kQ64oIMh.jpg

HRknGeph.jpg

Hvmbm9Ah.jpg

U6Rvmezh.jpg
Who needs bait , take Guy’s camera. 😁

I've never baited bears, but I'd really like to do that someday. Not legal here in Washington, but just across the border in Idaho it's fine... :)

Seems like a great use for a 45-70 Lever Action rifle.

Guy
Baiting is d a blast just to get to watch bears at close range for hours. Really a great way to learn beat behavior.

I remember watching a brownie sow pick their a jumbo sized bag of skittles. I had sprinkled them around the bait. She picked they eating them by color. All the purple first, then red, then orange, yellow, and finally green. Plucked up one at a time with those goofy prehensile lips. I can only gues she must have thought the darker skittles were ripe.

Also watching cubs play while momma sucks up powdered sugar covered dog food like a vacuum cleaner. Nothing breaths louder than a brown bear

Never killed a bear but May of 2024 I have an Alaskan Peninsula Brown Bear hunt booked. Will be packing a 375 H&H
Jim,
You have the right rifle for a Brown Bear.
What bullet and load are you going with for your 375 H&H?

JD338

Probably loading a 270 gr Barnes LRX
From what I have learned, the 270 LRX is the bullet of choice in the 375 H&H Mag.
The Barnes 250 TSX is another good one. The BC's on both are pretty good too so you can take a longer shot if needed.
I'm trying to get my hands on both.

JD338

Black bear
30-06 150 gr mag tip
35 Whelen 250 Speer SP
300 Win Mag 150 XLC
44 Mag 240 Speer JSP GD

last was a decent boar that I popped the cherry on my M-21 300 WM. 352# dressed. Nice lookin noggin on him. Guessing over 400# live weight.

Attachments

• 688BC633-1AAC-4911-85CE-F2EC203033FD.jpeg
    688BC633-1AAC-4911-85CE-F2EC203033FD.jpeg
    736 KB · Views: 5
  • 135E0952-E517-4266-9A24-932348507647.jpeg
    135E0952-E517-4266-9A24-932348507647.jpeg
    912.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Black bear
30-06 150 gr mag tip
35 Whelen 250 Speer SP
300 Win Mag 150 XLC
44 Mag 240 Speer JSP GD

last was a decent boar that I popped the cherry on my M-21 300 WM. 352# dressed. Nice lookin noggin on him. Guessing over 400# live weight.
Yup, very decent animal. Congratulations.

Back