Nov 4, 2004
What have you taken Turkey with?

Remington 870 Magnum 12 gauge 3" #4; #5; #6; Heavy Shot, Mag Blend Heavy Shot

Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 ga 3 1/2" #5 Heavy Shot

Mathews Compound bow

Mathews Mission x-bow

JD338

I have never used a shotgun for turkey.
7mm-08 XP (2), and a center-grip 6XC HSP (1) with synchronized shot while my buddy was shooting at a another Tom...He got his too.
Each was a one and done. Because of shot placement, I didn't ruin any meat.
Closest shots was 40ish yards, and the furthest was over 200 yards (intentional lower part of the neck)
Public land Wyoming turkey with my 6XC:
xein3DNl.jpg

My first was with a Remington 48 20ga and probably Win super x game loads #5.
Then it was a 12 gauge wing master for several years, still with regular Win super X. 8-9 years ago I got a short barreled mossberg turkey thug that would rattle your fillings loose with a magnum turkey load, traded through in for an 835 ultimag that I used up until last year when the misses surprised me with a Win SXP and Indian Creek ported Turkey choke. I’ll be toting it this fall and in the spring. The vast majority were with taken with Win Super-X shells stuffed in a regular old Wing master, until I got into using turkey specific shells. The Win LongBeard XR will really stretch out there, but they are super tight up close. I fell back to black box Winchester XX high velocity turkey shells, and haven’t felt a need to try the others. Also popped a couple in the fall with bow and xbow

My first was with a Remington 48 20ga and probably Win super x game loads #5.
Then it was a 12 gauge wing master for several years, still with regular Win super X. 8-9 years ago I got a short barreled mossberg turkey thug that would rattle your fillings loose with a magnum turkey load, traded through in for an 835 ultimag that I used up until last year when the misses surprised me with a Win SXP and Indian Creek ported Turkey choke. I’ll be toting it this fall and in the spring. The vast majority were with taken with Win Super-X shells stuffed in a regular old Wing master, until I got into using turkey specific shells. The Win LongBeard XR will really stretch out there, but they are super tight up close. I fell back to black box Winchester XX high velocity turkey shells, and haven’t felt a need to try the others. Also popped a couple in the fall with bow and xbow
I switched to Winchester Long beard #5 from Hevi Shot loads and haven't looked back. Twice as many shells for half the price of Hevi Shot Mag Blend works for me and kills turkeys just as dead.

JD338

I switched to Winchester Long beard #5 from Hevi Shot loads and haven't looked back. Twice as many shells for half the price of Hevi Shot Mag Blend works for me and kills turkeys just as dead.

The thing that scared me with the Longbeards is the shot is encapsulated in a resin "wad", and if you shake them there is always a few in the box that "rattle" I opened one and the resin wad was broken up and the pellets were loose. Don't know if it would have affected the performance. But, Man, they are some thumpers. I was using them when my brother and I were hunting the fall season near the cabin, and we hadn't seen or heard a single bird. We stepped up on the porch at the cabin and I looked down toward the pond and saw 10-12 birds, Kevin saw me shoulder the shotgun and said "hang on its too far" I shot and the Jake wobbled sideways and fell over dead. We walked down and picked it up and paced the distance at 60 yards +/- a yard or two. This is from that short barrel mossberg and factory XXF choke.

My wife shot her Tom this past spring with her Franchi Affinity 20 ga, Pure Gold turkey choke and Long Beard 3" #5's at 63 yards! We were both surprised at the distance. I bought several boxes of Long Beards on sale a few years ago in both 12 ga and 20 ga so we are set for a good long time.

JD338

Remington 870 with 3” #6’s.
I tried to get a shot with my muzzleloader but after crawling 20 yards or so (most on hands and knees down in the roadbed and the last bit on my belly) I got busted trying to slide the barrel through the hog wire fence.
Cartridge rifles and handguns are not legal in Georgia.

Last edited:
Remington 1100 3" mag with Active #5 (Was a great shell but they are nolonger available)
Winchester SX3 3&1/2" with #4; #5; #6; Heavy Shot, Mag Blend Heavy Shot
Winchester A5 Hunter 3&1/2" with Federal 3RD Degree

I've taken two turkeys so far, both with a .22 target pistol, Red Dot at 25-30 yards. Lot easier carrying the handgun over a 12 or 20 gauge.

Back