What is best ammo out of a Glock .40 cal ?

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I just purchased a Glock 23 in .40 cal. What is the best factory ammo to shoot out of this fine pistol? Also, what works best for reloading?

Long

We have had really good luck with any of the PMC ammo. Pretty cheap and you can buy it by the case. For personal defense, I would say the Federal Hydra-Shock.

For reloads I shoot our 135gr JHP with BlueDot powder

I like any of the cheap brass cased FMJ ammo for practice. I have had a little better luck reloading Win brass, so I prefer the USA and WinClean stuff.

For reloading, keep 'em on the light side to prolong brass life. I favor 5.4 grains of Vihtavouri VN340 and any 180 grain JHP/FMJ bullet. 6.0 is max per VV for this bullet, BTW, so I am 10% below max. With my model 22, at least, the bullet does not seem to affect accuracy much...the powder does some.

Many will advise you to not reload for a Glock due to the loose chamber and unsupported web area in their factory barrels, but if you keep your loads in the mild to reasonable range, you should be fine.

Any of the factory 155-180 grain JHP's will do fine for home defense. The really expensive bullets are not my favorite, because it costs too damn much to practice with them, and if I can't run a couple of boxes through my pistol to gain confidence in its function with that ammo, I don't feel confident in it as a home defense load.

IMHO, of course! :wink:

For self defense, the best all-around 40 cal bullet out there is Winchester's Ranger T in 180-gr. Product #RA40T.

Breath
Relax
Aim
Sight
Squeeze

I have shot deer with the Ranger Talons, WW JHPs, Federal Hydra-Shoks and RP Golden Sabers. By far the best performance on deer was the 155 gr Golden Saber. It was the first bullet out of all of them to exit. Just the fact that it exited wasn't the only thing; the bullet completely decimated the deer's skull. The skull was broken into about a dozen pieces. I got a 40 cal hole going in and close to 1" coming out. It was freaking amazing the damage that bullet did. I have only shot one head of game, but it was so much better than the others that I will not go back easily. I use a Glock 22 btw.

For plinking you can't go wrong with Blazer or Winchester white box. For defense stick with 165gr. Speer Gold Dot, Rem Golden Saber or Winchester Ranger. Federal used to have a very bright flash, although from what I've seen recently, they are geting better.

For defense use you can go to ways heavy bullet or light bullet.........the 135 @ top vel like Cor Bon or the Speer Gold Dot 180gr......one for pent. and the other 135gr for shocking power and massive wound channel.

I have loaded 40 for Glocks for a while. It can be done and as stated above you should use mild loads with used brass, new brass with hotter loads.

One important note is to keep a close eye on the condition of the brass. Look for rings in the web area or splits. The over sized glock barrels seems to cause these conditions sooner than other guns.

I would recommend a 155 grain hollow point for self defense. Has the best record in self defense shootings. Police use heaver bullets due to the fact that they have to possibly shoot through barriers and what not.

Just my thought on this subject.

Corey

I've spent the last decade loading for my 23, and have so far had no failures of any kind, except a couple of times I lost a bet or two at the range due to operator failure. I have used Universal Clays from Hodgdon wtih good results (under 155gr Ranier Ballistics copper plated). I have had such good results with this loading that I have never really searched for anything else. I mainly use it as a medium plinking and practice round for the gun, although it has some significant punch when you touch it off. I have a good barrel, though, and don't get bulged brass. I do get the ubiquitous case-mouth ding, and I never sent mine in for the upgrade that was supposed to fix that, either. Overall, one of the best tools I own, BTW.

As for handloading, just follow the standard rules, be careful, and check everything twice prior to seating a bullet, and you will be fine. You can check your barrel with a pocket knife and a resized case, to see how much unsupported brass is visible. Mine is not much.

I do not reload for my Glock .40s, sorry. I do carry 180 grain Speer Gold Dots though. I have been pleased with their performance and the testing done by a local department before purchasing these rounds.

Back