What is happening?????

Bowhntr

Beginner
Jan 9, 2007
I've got some major issues with a .223 and I can not figure out what is going on. Here are the basics: New England handi rifle .223 Remington 22" Barrel 1 in 12" twist. I've been trying to work up a load and absolutley can NOT get anything resembling a group. Closest thing to a group was 1.3 inches at 100 yards. So far I have only shot the Hornady 52 grn Match BTHP bullet. With IMR 3031 my shots seemed to have an extreme vertical climb of as much as 12 inches over 5 shots. OK barrel getting hot. Slowed down and took measures to keep it cool still no groups. Changed to Benchmark powder and today watched as each shot had a vertical walk DOWN of as much 12 inches in 5 shots. I've been shooting 5 shot groups and then giving the barrel a total cleaning. I don't think it is optics because after 4 groups of 5 today shot #1 was reasonably grouped as were shots #2, 3, 4, & 5 from each group but there was that steady walk down. Could this gun had the worst case of clean barrel syndrome ever? I'm also going to change bullets to a 50 grain ballistic tip an might even try the 40 grain. Next time to the range I'm not going to clean and see if that makes a difference. Anybody else got any ideas?

I don't know much about the way the forearm is mounted on that rifle, but if you can alter the forearm nut torque, I'd start just finger tight, and turn it in a little more for each group. And I'd quit cleaning every 5rds. Clean it after 25-30rds, and see what happens. Also, use something that gets all the copper out when you clean - not Hoppe's #9, as much as I love it. I use Break-Free Foaming Bore Cleaner, but I'm going to try BoreTech Eliminator on the advice of a trusted friend.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to suspect it's some sort of barrel interference, and you might look for other folks who've tried floating or relieving the barrel channel (to what degree you can on a break-action gun).

I have an NEF Handi Rifle in 223, but with the bull barrel. Here's my laod data:

Nosler 50BT, 25.5gn of Varget, WSR primer, Win brass, and a COL of 2.29"

I MAY have found the problem but I won't know until I get back to the range early next week. I sat down last night and started through the scope mounts and rings. The base mount screws were "tight" but I was able to torgue about 1/8 of a turn into each one. I have two piece rings with single screws on each side and the front ring's screws I was able to tighten almost a 1/2 turn each and I got a 1/4 turn on one screw in the back ring. I don't know if that would have been enough to cause my problems but we'll see in a few days!

Good possibility on the screw torque issue. I would not clean the barrel for at least 20 shots or so. I suspect that the clean barrel added to the inconsistencies. All of my rifles like a little copper and powder fouling left in the barrel. This fills in the micro-voids and allows the bullet to travel down a more consistent pathway. Let us know if it shoots any different next time.

NEF Handi Rifles can be quite difficult to get to shoot. One thing is to try to make sure you rest the forend between the forend attachment screw and the action. Also try shooting it with the forend removed resting the gun as close to the action as is possible. Lastly some say the forned screw tension should not be over 25 inch pounds of torque.

At the link provided there are lots of tips & tricks sections and some especially for bedding the forends. On mine (a Stainless-Synthetic Handi Rifle) I sanded out the forend so it only touched the barrel at the pivot point at the rear and the rear two inches of the barrel. I then used a rubber washer of sorts that I made out of a piece of tractor tire innertube and slipped it over the piece that sticks down from the barrel that the forend screw screws into for a cushion.

Lastly I had my gunsmith BED my scope mount. He made a shim to fit between the barrel and the front portion of the scope mount that does not touch the barrel. Once he had that shim made he then glass bedded it to the scope mount and then glass bedded the scope mount and the shim to the barrel.

Shooting Winchester / USA White Box 45gr. Jacketed Hollow Points my NEF Handi Rifle would keep 5 shots inside of an inch every time after the tweaking.

On a different note a friends son had a bone stock NEF Handi Rifle in .223. I gave him a bunch of my handloads consisting of 50gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with Benchmark which shot great in his NEF without modifications.

Larry

Back