What is your favorite oddball round.

7.5X55 swiss. Basically a .30-284win without the rebated rim. Would be a lot of fun to chamber this one in a mauser 98 action and load to full potential. Would rival the 300 WSM up to 180 gr bullets.

Darn fine deer or mid range big game round as-is. Extremely accurate, but that may be partially attributable to the rifles it's chambered in.

Since high school and a new in box Sako Vixen heavy barrel (for 216 dollars....sigh) Ive had this on and off affair with the 222 Mag. I know a lot of that is due to it being my first, over the counter, brand new rifle but I still prefer the longer neck of it compared to the .223 but I must be pretty much alone on that one going by the interest I have had in my Steyr SL half stock. (hope THAT isnt breaking any rules mentioning it).

Odd these days because it's similar to the 350 Rem mag that I used as a parent round for the 350JR.

Mention EITHER of them here in N IN and the resulting comments would include........" a WHAT?" EVEN IN A GUN SHOP!

But the winner in my world here in BFE Indiana would be my wildcat, or ANY wildcat for that matter, let alone one in a "big bore" (recall weve only been able to hunt big game with a CF for 4 years previously), and on a belted mag case to boot! I doubt there was a single .358 bore rifle within 100 miles of me 5 years ago........and not very many now! The CF rifle use here is catching on........but not that fast, IMO.

Some are not even aware of it. (how DOES that happen? :roll: ) I had a guy at work "turn me in" for building a CF to hunt with. (A simple look see at the regs would have sufficed.)

Reamer is "supposed to" show up this week. One month till season.............argh!

Lots of neat rounds mentioned, and I'll admit to being guilty of some ignorance myself. A couple big bores mentioned here are so far out of my world.........I had to look them up!

God Bless

Give it time 350JR, soon you'll be figuring out ways to get some of those rounds you never heard about, or lived without for so long!

SJB358":h5v2z391 said:
Give it time 350JR, soon you'll be figuring out ways to get some of those rounds you never heard about, or lived without for so long!

I think I'm going to be pretty tickled with my shorter, fatter, belted ......358 Win "imitation" LOL

Watch........they will legalize lengths to 2.015 in about two years but since this is a mag bolt face I'd "have to" rechamber it to slightly short 350 Rem mag! (maybe, lol)

NO WAIT>.............I have a SECOND 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag! :wink: Maybe I better hang onto that one. Hard to tell what the state will come up with next.

Really am liking the fact that the 225 grain Nosler BT bullets (or the AB) can be loaded like they are supposed to be (not down into the body) and work through the mag and bolt like a greased goose!

REALLY cant see much more "need" for more fps for my use and DEFINATELY no need for more ENERGY. Short or not, this is a freakin' "cannon" compared to most CF rounds here.

Don't ya'll feel sorry for me now? ROFL! (joke)

GodBless
STeve

350JR, somebody turned you in for building a CF rifle?!?! That is reaching for being in stupidville if I ever heard of it. I hope that this guy wasn't a so-called friend. I would hope that some people in Indiana have CF rifles despite the hunting regs.

I thought up till now their use on game was not allowed. Not possessing them.

FOTIS":1bvf1b0i said:
I thought up till now their use on game was not allowed. Not possessing them.

The "gentleman" knew I was building it for deer hunting and was his issue with it.
I didnt make that clear, obviously.

Oh no, we can own and shoot any round, just not for hunting deer! I can LEGALLY hunt squirrel (that is a joke) with my 350 Rem mag. STUPID yes, also legal. Just cant use it for DEER. :roll:

His call was to the conservation officer to report an illegal deer firearm was being built and intended for use in Indiana. CO knows me, knows I have a lifetime license, knows where I hunt and where I live and yaks with me annually. I'd have loved to been a mouse in the corner during that conversation. CO doesnt humor morons very well.

JUST a bit ahead of himself there and ......WAY behind on the rules.

Sorry I made that confusing.
God bless
Steve

Oldtrader3":6jv5kqr1 said:
350JR, somebody turned you in for building a CF rifle?!?! That is reaching for being in stupidville if I ever heard of it. I hope that this guy wasn't a so-called friend. I would hope that some people in Indiana have CF rifles despite the hunting regs.

Nope......omg no........not in any stretch.

He is the plant (where I work too) deer "egg spurt".........THAT I AVOID IN ANY MANNER OR METHOD I CAN!

I'm sure some may know the type. REPORTEDLY puts out all the food plots, has all the latest and greatest gizmos.........dont shoot chit every year type.

More power to him but dayummmmm.
GodBless
Steve

257 Ackley":3hehx0x2 said:
Lets see...I have a 257 AI, 6.5WSM, 338-06, 6.5X47....I'm just attracted to odd calibers from the get-go :roll: :!:
No one else in my family loads, so someone on here better contact my son when I tip over. I doubt those calibers will be found on shelves any time soon.

I got a few oddballs. I got a 6-284, a 257 and a 280 which really isn't odd in my book but you can't find factory loads for it, or at least not many that are good. Nosler's are probably the exception. 280 AI a 338-06 AI. Then the classy 6.5X55 and the one I keep running from everytime I go to SPS 9.3X62. Brass leads to bullets, and dies and actions, barrels stocks and glass!

Oldtrader3":3hnejjk4 said:
How is the recoil, Paul, say compared to a 250 grain, .340 Weatherby at 2850 fps? However the Weatherby Mark V is about 8 pounds stripped with a wood stock.

I really can't say as I've never shot the .340 Wby. The Taylor does set back with some authority but I'm thinking that between the synthetic stock and Pachmeyr Decelerator, It's not all that bad for a few rounds anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol: After all, it wasn't named "The Hammer" for nothing. :lol: As a wild guess though, I would think that the recoil is probably quite similar.
Paul B.

Paul, from what little I know, you are probably right. The .340 is about 55 ft. pounds of free recoil.
Charlie

243 wssm, loaded with any bullet iy is a coyote's worst nightmare! Also makes a damn fine deer rifle with a 100 grain Partition. Gonna try the 90 g AccuBond in it this year though, should be awesome!

nshunter":2ox5jnss said:
243 wssm, loaded with any bullet iy is a coyote's worst nightmare! Also makes a damn fine deer rifle with a 100 grain Partition. Gonna try the 90 g AccuBond in it this year though, should be awesome!
Actually it is the only WSSM I like!

I got 3200 fps from a super light Winnie with Win 760 and 95 gr ballistic tip.

The 9.3x74R, you can drive wedges in under the stock and indirect fire to two miles and still kill an elk.

Oldtrader3":1mgh85se said:
The 9.3x74R, you can drive wedges in under the stock and indirect fire to two miles and still kill an elk.

1148.gif

338.gif

FOTIS":2u12wn7m said:
nshunter":2u12wn7m said:
Actually it is the only WSSM I like!

I got 3200 fps from a super light Winnie with Win 760 and 95 gr ballistic tip.

Yeah 760 works well, but I usually just use imr 4350. I am thinking about giving r 17 a try though. I guess that is what keeps me interested, still so many powders and bullets to try!

Back