what Min-Max power variable scope for use in Colorado woods

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Need some thoughts from other Elk Hunters. As JD knows I shoot a .338 RUM and presently have a 3.5X10 Leupold on top. I find I only use the lower powers 3X up to 5X for hunting the woods in NE Colorado. I use 10X42 binocs for glassing. Im thinking of the less weight, more eye relief and brightness factor. I use a 2.5X8 Leupold on my 7MM08 for deer hunting and love it. My older eyes (63yrs.) would probably appreciate a lower powered and brighter scope. any thoughts?

big rifle man":2zncde30 said:
Need some thoughts from other Elk Hunters. As JD knows I shoot a .338 RUM and presently have a 3.5X10 Leupold on top. I find I only use the lower powers 3X up to 5X for hunting the woods in NE Colorado. I use 10X42 binocs for glassing. Im thinking of the less weight, more eye relief and brightness factor. I use a 2.5X8 Leupold on my 7MM08 for deer hunting and love it. My older eyes (63yrs.) would probably appreciate a lower powered and brighter scope. any thoughts?
big rifle man

You already have your answer, Leupold VXIII 2.5x8. :wink:
That is what I have on my 338 RUM. More than enough scope on 8x to shoot at a 6" bullseye at 500 yds so an elk would be no trouble at all.
Also have plenty of eye relief for the 338 RUM's recoil.
I have the M1 dials on mine that were installed by the Leupold Custom Shop so I can dial in.
JD700LSS338RUM2.jpg

338RUM440yds.jpg

Shooting 12x12x3/4" steel at 440 yds is very easy! You can see the difference between the 338 RUM 225 gr AB and the 280AI 160 gr AB.
These were shot in failing light to verify sights.
SteelGong440yds102207.jpg

JD338

The 3.5-10x Leupold isn't "bright" enough?

As much as I appreciate the 2.5-8x Leupold - one of the finest all-around hunting scopes ever - I don't know that it will provide any improvement over the 3.5-10x as far as brightness.

A real gem is the fixed 6x with the 42mm objective, but it is only a fixed power scope. Still, the eye relief is considerable and I find brightness and clarity are excellent. I've gone to it for most of my general purpose hunting. Was concerned that it was too much magnification for the shorter-range shots, but haven't found that to be the case. Worth a look at any rate.

Actually, I think your existing 3.5-10x is one of the best all-around scopes avail, but the 2.5-8x is right there with it, and better in some respects. I mean really... How big do we need that elk to appear in our scopes to hit him? :grin:

Regards, Guy

big rifle man

Either of those scopes would work great. Personally I prefer the magnification and generally like between a 12X & 16X. The first scope I ever started with was a straight 16X Leupold which now sits a-top my 7-08. My .300RUM sports a 6.5X20 with a straight 12X Leupold on my .280.
CO has a lot of canyons and parks so the variables are a creature comfort for the ever changing terain.

Go to the sporting good store and check out what looks best to you. I use a 6x18x50 on my 338RUM. I find it has nothing to do with being able to see an elk standing out there in the open like a target. It has to do with seeing that bull in a group of elk mingling in the timber at 300 yds. I'v lost out a couple of times between putting my binoculars aside and trying to re-aquire which was which as they dissapeared. If I could of just turned my scope up when I first saw them I could have shot then. The real best advice is to use what you like and feel confident in. So listen to suggestions but go by your instincts.
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :)

I used a Leupold VXIII 1.75-6X32 this fall in Colorado (out by Grand Junction). I had it set on about 3.5X, but moved it up to 6X to make a shot at about 300 yards.

I f you think you need a brighter scope take a look at a Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40, or one of the Kahles 1" tube scopes (I have a KX 3.5-10X). Also the Pentax Lightseeker scopes are excellent, and not that well known ("cheap and cheerful").

jim

Thanks for the info guys. I definitely feel that you can overscope (power) and it looks like either a 1.75 X 6 or a 2.5 X 8 would fill the bill. I've done a lot of target shooting out to six hundred yards at my gun club but limit myself to three hundred hunting as I honestly feel that in the terrain I hunt I can close the range and get a closer shot. As the range increases the variables add up. Thanx again.

Here is a photo of the rig I used in Colorado last November. The scope is the VXIII 1.75-6X32, and the rings are the Lightweight Talleys. The rifle is my NULA M24 .30-'06.

jim
JimsNULAM24.jpg

well guys, I kicked my model 700 .338 ultramag in the head and put a Zeiss 1 1/2X6 VMV scope #8 reticle with Warne mounts on the top. I went to my local sporting goods store and looked thorugh more scopes than I care to remember. I kept coming back to the Zeiss as whenever I looked through it everything came in extremely sharp and "WOW" bright. I measured it up against a 3.5 X 40 leupold placing both on four power and there was no contest. I mounted the scope, (by the way, the Warne Mounts are fantastic) went to the range and after sighting in shot at two hundred yards. I'm getting the same 1 1/2 inch three shot groups and noticed that the target is sharper (clarity) and the brightness is overwhelming. Yeah, the cost knocked my socks off, (thank God for side jobs) but the cost was worth it. The overall weight is a little more but I can put up with it. I can't believe the difference in scopes. Thanks again for the input.

big rifle man

Congratulations on the new scope.
You picked a good one for sure.

JD338

Back