What rifles seem to be increasing in popularity?

NOSLER

Handloader
Sep 23, 2004
Give us some ideas on what is becoming the most popular.

I have heard a lot about the 6.5-284

Is the 30 cal losing popularity in competition?

I think the 7mms are starting to get just a bit more popular. I've always loved 7mms, and while there has been a wide variety of excellent hunting bullets available, the selection of match bullets has been very small by comparison. Maybe the 7mm will increase in popularity enough to cause manufacturers to make some good match bullets (hint, hint :wink: )

The 6.5s seem to be where it's at right now though. It seems like everyone is either shooting or in the process of building a 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 260, or 6.5x55.

NOSLER":1h0958r1 said:

I'm a bit confused........are you asking about rifles, bore size, or cartridge?

Your "subject line" says 'rifles', but the content of message indicates a cartridge and/or bore size discussion.

Lee Carkenord (fjlee)

I think the 7mm's are coming on strong. Especially with the increased popularity of the 7m-08 and now I think people are revisiting the 280 also.

Long

I should rephrase the question.

What caliber and or cartridge is gaining popularity?

NOSLER":2qweukxd said:

It does seem like the 6.5 x .284 chambering is mentioned often. To me, that's a bit curious, since at present that is a wildcat. Just when it seems that all possible bases have been covered..........another unfulfilled niche is discovered (maybe 'invented' is better word?).

I think maybe that falls under the category of "
grass is always greener".......... IMO, the 6.5 x .284 is a fine cartridge, though. A long time ago, I had a closet love affair with 6.5 x 06, and 6.5 x .284 is ballistically mighty close to 6.5 x 06.

I don't shoot in organized competition, but I read the results, and I don't think I see much, if any, decrease in .30 caliber popularity.

Lee Carkenord (fjlee)

To go a little further, is the 155, 168 or 190 the choice of 30 cal?

NOSLER":2bf23bey said:
To go a little further, is the 155, 168 or 190 the choice of 30 cal?

Except for the the Palma shooters who're using 155s, the vast majority of long range shooters (F-class, tactical comps, and the weekend hobbyist) seem to be using 175s in the 308 and 190s in the 300 Win mag.

The 6-BR family seems to be taking on strong new fallowings. The 6BR Imp.
as well as the BR are really stepping up to the plate in Long range Competitions the last few years.

The highly effective VLD type bullets are getting the job done when used in these smaller cartridges. The Improved version called the 6-Dasher has been setting the world on fire the last couple years at 1000yd events. World records have been broken and the little 6 is the caliber getting it done.

Would be GREAT to see Nosler making these VLD type bullets for the 6mm/.243 in the 100 to 110gr range.

Happy Shooting

I shoot 1000 yards a fair bit, and have two rifles set up for the game. One is a 13.5# 1-8" twist Gaillard barrelled 700 action chambered in 6mm Remington. My present bullet of choice is the 105 Lapua Scenar, since it is simply the best bullet I have found so far. I target 2900-2950 as the best starting velocity, and that remains supersonic well past 1400 yards. The other rifle is similar, but lighter, and is chambered 6.5-284. The bullet is again the Lapua Scenar, but in 139 grain weight. That lovely .615 BC really helps this one stay on track. Similar velocities are the target. Both these rifles will shoot under 6" at 1000 IF [big if] I do my part. If Nosler tools up and makes a long range target bullet in either of these diameters, I am willing to give them a shot. Regards, EE

Just over a year ago I "discovered" the light Kimber rifles and bought four of them. The first was a 260 Remington. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked this cartridge! While the little sporter is as accurate as can be it just does not fit in with the way I hunt.

As a "deer" rifle the 260 would be fine for woods ranges of course but I hunt in states that have the black bear season open at the same time. I just never selected that rifle to carry when I can choose from the 358 Win (3), 30-06 (3) or the 308 (1) etc.

Where I am hunting in CT there is no game larger than big whitetails but the ranges can go very far and in fact as far as anyone has. Here the 260 might do fine over 200 yds but I have magnums and what about the 300 yd to 400 yd shot? Here the 260 does not make sense either. For that hunting I have magnums in 264, 270, 7mm, 30 and 375.

As a varmint cartridge the 260 is quite powerful and there is the excellent 95 gr VMax but it just cannot be as safe to use, richocet wise, as the 224's or 6mm's.

If the small 6.5mm cartridges turn someones crank then go for it. It's just that I don't see them as any advantage for the way I hunt.

In NRA Highpower, you are limited by bullet diameter (.30 caliber and less for highpower, and .338" for 600 Yards+) and by recoil tolerance (typical matches require something between 30 to 110 rounds - muzzle brakes are BANNED under NRA and CMP rules). As a result, the following are popular:
  • 600 Yards and less - Service Rifle. Ruled by AR-15s in .223. Tossup between 77 grain and lighter bullets under 300 yards, overwhelmingly 75/77s at 300, and usually VLD 75s or 80s at 600 and beyond;
  • 600 Yards and less - Match Rifle. Toss up between various calibers. .223 (See above), various "short 6mms" (between 6BR Norma and .243 Winchester), 6.5-08/.260 Remington seem to be the current favorites;
  • Palma shooting - Easy - .308 Winchester, usually single shots. These days, usually optimized for 155 grain projectiles.
  • Long Range Prone (non-Palma)/F-Class. Could be a 6mm, .260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5-.284, .308 Winchester, or something else.
For more information on NRA Highpower shooting, see the www.nationalmatch.us forum. For more information on Long Range Prone/F-Class shooting, see www.long-range.com. Registration is required to view these boards, but it is free.

NOSLER":3p0gdy98 said:
Yes. The key word is "RECOIL". When you can get .300 Winchester Magnum wind drift on .308 recoil (or less), the choice tends to push people towards lighter calibers. Especially when some of these give equal or longer accurate barrel life.

fjlee":339bddpi said:
It does seem like the 6.5 x .284 chambering is mentioned often. To me, that's a bit curious, since at present that is a wildcat. Just when it seems that all possible bases have been covered..........another unfulfilled niche is discovered (maybe 'invented' is better word?).

I think maybe that falls under the category of "
grass is always greener".......... IMO, the 6.5 x .284 is a fine cartridge, though. A long time ago, I had a closet love affair with 6.5 x 06, and 6.5 x .284 is ballistically mighty close to 6.5 x 06.
Actually, I believe Norma formally adopted the 6.5-.284 cartridge.

When propelling a 140ish grain low drag projectile at 2950+ FPS, a 6.5-.284 will hold its own in the wind against the combination of 190 grain match bullet from a .300 Winchester Magnum. Barrel life is still low (between 1000-2000 rounds), but you don't get beat up as badly by recoil(about 2/3 that of the magnum). Over two or more days of shooting, the difference adds up quickly (i.e., higher aggregate scores).

As an alternative to the 6.5-284 many use the .260 Reminton, 90% of the performance double the barrel life, will work in repeaters for XTC. The biggest problem is the difficulty in making match grade brass.

[!Hint to NOSLER!]

Given it's performance the last two years at Perry look for the 6XC to gain popularity.

30 Calibers are pretty much service and Palma rifle only propositions these days. .308s give up too much in the wind, .300 Mags recoil unnecessarly.

As an alternative to the 6.5-284 many use the .260 Reminton, 90% of the performance double the barrel life, will work in repeaters for XTC. The biggest problem is the difficulty in making match grade brass.

[!Hint to NOSLER!]

Given it's performance the last two years at Perry look for the 6XC to gain popularity.

30 Calibers are pretty much service and Palma rifle only propositions these days. .308s give up too much in the wind, .300 Mags recoil unnecessarly.

Back