What scope for varmit hunting?

GB300wm

Handloader
Jan 2, 2005
I'm fixing to break into the varmit hunting arena and I was wondering what scopes you guys use. Is the scopes more like hunting scopes or target scopes with moa dots. Also curious as to what power would be the best. I'm considering getting a .223 with 200-300 yard shots on prarie dogs,snakes,coyotes and what have you bieng the max range. I don't know for sure... :?

depending on YOUR style of hunting as to scope selection. I use dot reticles,AND crosshairs .For a light weight carry gun I usually scope it with a 2x7 or 3x9 scope.Shots may be close and fast! For the times I want to sit back and relax I use a straight 20x or a 6x20 variable. Sit this on a portable bench and sand bags for any thing within 400+ yards. If your 223 is a sporter weight. a 3x9 or 4x12 should work fine. Remember to turn the power down if you plan on walking around! I DO have a 6x20 on one of my 223's. Kinda makes the thing top heavy !

For the kind of hunting you described, get a good higher power variable with fine duplex or possibley mil-dot. Weight is usually not a concern and it is nice to have that extra maginfication when presented with a prairie dog head sticking out at 150 yards.

For the two rifles I use for varmints I have one with a Leupold 4.5-14 tactical with fine duplex. Works great for middle of the day fun on prairie dogs and such. I would rather have a 6.5-20 though.
The other rifle has a Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 with the illuminated mil-dot. Good enough for shorter ranges on small stuff and awesome on coyotes at twilight or when dark. Calving season is starting and the time to kill yotes at night is upon us.

Based on the fact that you state you are just getting into varmint hunting I would stick with a "hunting" syle scope and stay away from the targt knobs and special reticles.

For your uses any good brand of 4-12 or 4.5-14 scope with a duplex reticle will do fine.

My own personal .223 Remington wears a 4.5-14 Leupold Vari-X III. It is a great combination. The 14 power is plenty for varmints. I have killed ground squirrels and prairie dogs with this combo at close to 400 yards. I have also shot coyotes called up in my lap with the scope set on 4.5.

Earlier this year I bought a new Leupold VX-II scope in the 4-12 power. It is also a very good scope. The new VX-II line of scopes offer great optics for the money.

So my advice is to stick with the 4-12 or 4.5-14 power range and just buy the best optics you can afford. My buddy has a 4-12 Weaver on his .223 Remington and is quite happy with it. I have shot it a little and it is not quite as bright as my Leupolds but is very good.

Finally, if you are going to get a scope over 10 power DO go ahead and get the AO feature. You are going to need to focus the scope for the higher powers. Over about 10 power you are going to need to deal with parralax correction, especially shooting small varmints way out there.

R F

Thanks for the great replies guys. I'm leaning toward 6x20ao with a fine duplex reticle,but I guess money will be the overriding factor. I'll have to check out the vxII line. I'm with you on that scope. Thanks again.

I recommend two different scopes... I would say that the VX II in 6x18 target formation is wonderful. I have two of them and love them... Great price to.

The second scope that I recommend is the 6.5 x 20 LR with 30MM tube. It has the AO on the side and is really nice. You'll pay for it though.

You can't go wrong with a Leupold....!!!!

A lot of good choices out there to consider. I suggest you look at Nikon Tactical line. Mil-Dot is the way to go unless you're clicking up. Guess-ta-mate hold over will become frustrating at best.

Leupold VX2,6-18 Target. Best scope under $500. You can still use it as a regular scope, but when you learn or decide to use the knobs, you can shoot a hell of a lot farther. Which makes things a lot funner.

I have an Alaskan Guide (Cabela's) 6.5-20x52 in a 30 mm tube on my 243 WSSM. And I have a 6-18x50 Bushnell on my 223 WSSM. Both are great combinations.

Camo,

How long have you had the Cabela's scope? I have two of them ( rest all being leupolds) but think they are a great scope for the money!
Does anyone else have an opinion on the Alaskan Guide Scopes? I have two more rifles to top off, and will do the Cabela's again I do believe.

As the others have said, go with a Leuplod. The VXIII 4.5x14 will cover anything you would do with a 223 Rem.

JD338

Powerstroke":vgpkbf8b said:
Camo,

How long have you had the Cabela's scope? I have two of them ( rest all being leupolds) but think they are a great scope for the money!
Does anyone else have an opinion on the Alaskan Guide Scopes? I have two more rifles to top off, and will do the Cabela's again I do believe.

I've had the first about a year and a half and the second just under a year. Both are the 6.5-20x52 w/ 30mm tube. The are mounted on a 270 WSM set up for antelope and on a 243 WSSM set up for coyote and prarie dogs. I have other scopes that I'm very happy with and I'm pleased to say I've never spent over $450 for a scope.
Maybe my eyes aren't that good, but when I look thru those $600 and up scopes, I just don't see enough difference to justify spending twice the money - or more.

Camo,
I have one 4.5X14 on my .280 and love it. The second one is on my new .300RUM in the 6.5X20. I suppose the .300 will give it a fairly good
test. All the rest of my scopes are leupolds....I have two straight 16's
that I used to think were the cat's meow. I'm with you....for hunting purposes at least. I'll let you know how the one on the .300RUM stays together.
Thanks

Back