What's that one rifle?

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
What's that one big game rifle you guys pull out when you have to make a shot that you can't miss? The one that just feels right and you know it inside and out.

Make, model, caliber, load, eyes, and your maximum effective range that you would feel comfortable shooting out to everyday with no kestrel or rangefinder.

P.S. Lots of pictures!!

Nosler 48 Custom, .300WSM with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. (I had a 6x Leupold on it previously) I shoot TG 180ABs.

It's taken a slew of critters and I'd feel pretty good to 300yds and maybe a bit.

Since the introduction of the TC Encore, it has been my go to rifle just because I like it's versatility without the weight of the Ruger #1. The .30-06 with 180 gr. NPT hasn't failed me yet, and are always in stock on the bench.

M70 BOSS Classic, 7 Rem Mag , Buckmaster 4.5-14x40, 160 Partition 63 gn RL-22
Has killed everything I pointed it at near and far and is very accurate

Easy, it would be my Remington model 700DM in 280 Rem. I have many different loads for this gun. Basically any 140gr bullet with 54gr of IMR-4350 and your good to go. The Barnes TTSX's and Nosler BT's have the same point of impact. Right now it wears a Redfield 3-9x50 this is crystal clear. I installed a Timney trigger set at a crisp 2.5 lbs and gave it a full bedding job, with pillars and a free-floated barrel. I LOVE this rifle! Everything I have pointed it at has gone down for the count! Would not hesitate to take a crack at something out to 300yds.

Attachments

• 100_1177.JPG
    100_1177.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,482
In the past it has been my Ruger 77 30-06 with 165gr Hornaday interlocks around here 200yds is a long shot, but I won a Weatherby Vanguard in 300Wby which will out distance my trusty 30-06 but then I'm really looking hard at building a .35 Whelen after much discusion with others who favor this old wild cat which Remington and others have chambered factory rifles for. I guess it's what,where your going to hunt and how much you want to spend to do it.
A lot of Buts huh. :)

Remington 700 Mountain DBM in .260 Rem, 120gr NBT @ 2911fps Leupold VariX-II 3-9x40. I have made shots just over 300yds with it which around here might as well be a mile.

Until recently it propbably would have been one of my rifles in .300 Win. Mag. I like hunting with the Ruger #1 but have an M70 push feed that is so amzingly accurate with 200 gr. bullets that I've used it mainly for elk. Then I got hooked on the .35 Whelen. First was a Ruger M77 I found NIB at a gun show. I knew the guy selling it so did get a very decent price. The a few months later I came across a Remington M700 Classic in .35 Whelen, said, What the hell!" and took it home. About a year later I came across a very nice custom someone had made up on a Mauser action and when I shouldered it, it was love as first shouldering. It fit me perfectly. The gun was being sold off as part of an estate sale and considering the quality, I thought the price was more than fair. It took me 5 years before I could actually shoot something with it, not because I'm a poor hunter, just can't seem to draw tags for deer or elk in my home state. I didn't draw again this year. :x FWIW, I've lived here for 34 years now, damn near 35 and in the 33 years I've been eligible for antelope, I have yet to draw a tag and I've put in for every one of those 33 years. I know frustration. :roll:
So to answer the OP's question, my .35 Whelen.
Paul B.

HeathSexton":3q2lt6wz said:
Remington 700 Mountain DBM in .260 Rem, 120gr NBT @ 2911fps Leupold VariX-II 3-9x40. I have made shots just over 300yds with it which around here might as well be a mile.

Man, that sounds like a sweet rifle. I gotta get me a 260!

I have had it for years and used it some but once I started reloading it really opened up what the rifle was capable of. It shoots the factory 140's ok, 120-130 great.

129gr Hornady IL @ 100yds

A Model 70 .280 Rem. When I needed it, it has always produced. It is the one on the left. The other is a 300WSM.

Oddly enough, I sold the 300WSM a couple of years ago, replacing it with another 300WSM, and the 280 will likely be gone shortly as I have already replaced it.

Nosler M48 TGR 7mm08 - What is so unique about this rifle and cartridge combo I have killed with the 140gr AccuBond, 145gr Speer SBT and 160gr Speer SBT (this last load being my go to round from now on) and I have never failed since owning this rifle to cleanly take by placing the shot exactly where I wanted to hit the animal at all ranges fired and the game taken with one shot. It is a natural extension of me, and I truly can shoot this one better than any rifle in the field I have ever owned. I thought I had some rifles that could shoot, but as I said, this is truly just an extension of me when shoulder. Amazing rifle, just a wonder work of art, function and lethality.

file-118.jpg

e8b238a2.jpg

882ac5a0.jpg

Semi Custom .270 Winchester - started as a weatherby vanguard, has timney trigger, glass bedded AAA English stock, burris zee rings and a original fullfield 3-9X40. This rifle has killed numerous deer, 5 elk, bear, antelope, coyotes, (all with 130 grain nosler partitions)- if it wasn't for my fondness of my 375 ruger, might have ended up as my only big game rifle.

I have no qualms about taking this afield for anything in N.A. (not saying I will) because I know the bullet will go exactly were I want it everytime.

Attachments

• 270-1.JPG
    270-1.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 1,405
  • 270-2.JPG
    270-2.JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 1,405
  • 270-3.JPG
    270-3.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,405
I would have to say my 700 custom 280 AI.
With the VX-3 3.5-20x40 CDS dial, it is dead on out to 600 yds and is capable of taking most anything in NA.

WY Antelope with my fearless guide and friend, Fotis. 280 AI 140 gr AB 338 yards.

MI WT deer 160 gr AB 50 yards.

JD338

JD,

Nice picture with Fotis. Someday I am going to build me a 280AI. I keep that 280AI cartridge you gave me in my desk so I think about you and a new rifle often. Brian

brianwyo":2ltqtt36 said:
JD,

Nice picture with Fotis. Someday I am going to build me a 280AI. I keep that 280AI cartridge you gave me in my desk so I think about you and a new rifle often. Brian

Brian,

The sooner you build a 280 AI, the sooner you will realize how you went so long with out one. :mrgreen:
If I pull a tag, I will be back again this fall.

JD338

JD338":36p3k50a said:
WY Antelope with my fearless guide and friend, Fotis. 280 AI 140 gr AB 338 yards.

JD338

When I first read that (it being after 10:30pm here) I thought you said my hairless guide and friend, Fotis :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter chambered for 7mm Rem Mag. It dotes on the 160 AccuBond and its got a pretty good track record. 8 critters down with 7 shots. Downed two does with one shot. I just stocked it with a Bell and Carlson Medalist and it sports a Leupold VXII 3x-9x.

Back