When Winchester was Winchester

Rigbymauser

Handloader
Nov 3, 2012
I am not a collector anymore...atleast not untill I see such rifle. So sad nobody wants these guns anymore..:LOL

An 1895 Winchester has always interested me. Never could afford the sometimes overinflated, "It's a collector's item" prices so could only look and drool. One day at a gun show I found one of the Browning clones of the 1895 at a reasonable price so it came home with me. I use it kind of like a fun gun with cast bullets mostly because I can't see the front sight very well. Since I've had the cataract surgery though I see the sight much better so may spring for a receiver sight and maybe do a hunt with it. Recoil is a bit sharp with factory level loads. I thought about a rebore to .35 Whelen but there is that recoil factor. Quite a bit of drop on the stock and the cheek does catch it. Fun though with a 220 gr. cast bullet at about 1600 FPS. 8)
Paul B.

I shot a 35 WCF in an 1895 a few years back. What a rifle!!! That was quite a load for its time and frankly if I was a turn of the century, Northbound hunter, I would've been toting three rifles. A Savage 99 in 22 HP, a Springfield 1903 in .30 Govt. and a Winchester 1895 in 35 WCF. Haha oh the adventures these rifles have seen.

Thanks for sharing.

If it wasn´t for the fact I am leaving for Africa in three days and not knowing how many animals we get to hunt/shoot, I would have really considered this rifle. Just to have one leveraction again this rifle would be a good one...and a rare one.

Back