Where are you hunting in 2012

Starting with this coming April, it will be turkey hunting here in Wisconsin.

Got all my tag applications sent in for Wyoming (Elk, Deer and Antelope). If successful, this will be my 25th year out there.

Following those hunts, it will be back to Wisconsin for deer

Then, time and funds permitting, I would like to try doing a hog hunt down south some where.
Being a complete rookie on hog hunting, when would be the best time of year to hunt them?

Dave

I didn't post mine when I started the thread but right now it looks like, early season Archery in Washington ( cow or 3 point bull) , then Wyoming the first of October (cow only), Idaho (a backpack Bull hunt), then back to the late season archery in Washington. I have applied for a late bull hunt in Az but will not draw this year.

Everybody keep in mind there are some great deals on preference points out there.!!!! Don't miss the deadlines.

Since I'll have another newborn in June I'm probably sticking close to home. I'll put in for the same cow hunt I had last year (along with my dad) and I might buy a non resident tag to hunt bulls. I'm also putting in for a deer tag in SE ID (with my dad again) and if I don't draw it will be a backpacking deer hunt in a general area close to home. I also put in for antelope and extra deer again. I'll probably put the wife in for a moose tag this year and I might get her a elk tag for a early season if she is up to it by then and doesn't draw moose. Hopefully the snow will melt early enough to bait this year in my normal area for bears. It's pretty fun watching bears gorge on doughnuts and pastries before they find themselves on the receiving end of a big bullet. I've been wanting to shoot one with my Lott for several years but the snow has been hanging around too late in the spring for the last 3 or 4 years. I cant forget the normal squirrel and rock chuck forays.

I might try to talk my buddy into going to TX for some pig shooting too.

Scotty,

The place a friend took me cow elk hunting last year was pretty good. I saw 350+ between 7:45am and 11am on opening day. The closest was the group of 3 I shot mine out of at just under 400yds. Nothing like hunting elk in rolling sage brush where the antelope generally are.

I got 3 more weeks to go to see if I was drawn for any of my permits that I applied for. Assuming that I wasn't, then my first hunt(s) will be for brown bear starting in April. Black bear in May to a new spot south of Homer. Annual August caribou hunt on the Denali hwy. Sept. I look for moose with black bear and grizz thrown into the mix as the area I hunt has all three running around. Well, caribou too but hoping that tag will be punched when I go in August. All depends on how long it takes to find a big bull. But the hunt I look forward to the most is when November rolls around and that is when we head out to the PWS area for our annual deer hunt on an island for 8-12 days. Absolutely just love that deer hunting.

akhunter
I got 3 more weeks to go to see if I was drawn for any of my permits that I applied for. Assuming that I wasn't, then my first hunt(s) will be for brown bear starting in April. Black bear in May to a new spot south of Homer. Annual August caribou hunt on the Denali hwy. Sept. I look for moose with black bear and grizz thrown into the mix as the area I hunt has all three running around.

Can I go with you!!!!!!!

Wyoming for antelope does. Can't beat the $37 non-resident license fee or the fact that you can buy four...

Colorado for deer, bull elk and if lucky in the lottery, as usual, cow elk.

Coyotes in a week or two here in Missouri, turkey in Missouri in april-may, deer in Missouri sept-Jan.

I maybe, maybe, maybe could be going to NW Nebraska for whitetails.

After NOT going last year, This year it WILL be Idaho DIY Elk with Greg Nolan again. Its a long drive but worth it.
Now which Rifle to to tote along..........

Looks like things are pointing to an add-on elk/mulie hunt on Colorado this October. This is just developing and I'm getting stoked very quickly. DIY probably near Meeker. Details to follow...

:twisted:

CatskillCrawler":2qj5qfxj said:
Looks like things are pointing to an add-on elk/mulie hunt on Colorado this October. This is just developing and I'm getting stoked very quickly. DIY probably near Meeker. Details to follow...

:twisted:

Nice, better start working on that Whelen buddy! No better excuse than elk in CO!

Whelen cash is going for tags and taxes. :x Looks like my annual cod fishing trip is off due to a poor season so maybe I can use that. Let's see how else can I generate some cash.... stop paying kid's tuition? Cheaper scotch? Reload my own ammo? Ride a bike to work? Nothing realistic there....

Maybe I can start start my own CFC fund? There seems to be one for every lunatic fringe element that exists today. Why not a RADD fund? We could all benefit!! :mrgreen:

CatskillCrawler":6sp1a0xt said:
Whelen cash is going for tags and taxes. :x Looks like my annual cod fishing trip is off due to a poor season so maybe I can use that. Let's see how else can I generate some cash.... stop paying kid's tuition? Cheaper scotch? Reload my own ammo? Ride a bike to work? Nothing realistic there....

Maybe I can start start my own CFC fund? There seems to be one for every lunatic fringe element that exists today. Why not a RADD fund? We could all benefit!! :mrgreen:

I CFC the RMEF but I would start an allotment to the RADD as well!

:grin: Africa, May 11th for 10 days of hunting plains game. The Ruger #1 in 7x57 with 160 Accubonds is going and I am debating on the .35 Whelen or .30-06.

Congratulations, lefty. That sounds great. For sure, I'll be looking forward to your pictures.

Lefty - if you weren't such a great guy - I'd call you a bum.

Ya bum. :grin:

Enjoy your hunt - and PLEASE post up the photos!

Guy

lefty315":6p1bvvf5 said:
:grin: Africa, May 11th for 10 days of hunting plains game. The Ruger #1 in 7x57 with 160 Accubonds is going and I am debating on the .35 Whelen or .30-06.

Man, that sounds like one sweet hunt! Good luck, hope the Whelen accompanies you! We need an African field report from the Colonel!

Hogs in California, and maybe texas
Whitetail in Texas... Maybe an elk cow
pheasants in California
Dove in California and texas
Turkey in texas
quail in texas.

Would love to hunt grizzly but the budget wont allow it!
Hardpan

Looks like I just got a Bull elk tag in unit 22N in Arizona. Time to break in my Whelen!!

Back