Which new scope?

Christopher

Beginner
Mar 22, 2005
I have just purchased a new rifle and need a new scope. The rifle is a HS Precision HTR chambered in 257 weatherby. I will use this gun to primarily shoot paper and varmints between 300-800yds and deer out to 400 yds. I want high quality optic and had a few in mind. The ones that I had in mind are as follows: Schmidt and Bender 4-16X50 mildot, Nightforce 5.5-22X56 mildot, or Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20X50 LR/T M1. Which scope would you guys recommend for my application?

Certainly with that calber u shoud get to long-range no problem wth the 115 Nosler. Got a buddy that's shooting it out of a 25-284, and has made kills to beyond 500 yds. on antelope.

I'd take a good look at the new Tac. Milling Reticle Leupold's advertising. That'll get u 5 mil of trajectory compensation or about 18 minutes. That oughtta get u to 600+ yds. no problem with .5 mil stadia, for finer reference. Of course if u want the best for long-range trajectory-compensating/ranging reticles-- the Nightforce will certainly provide that-- WITH accurate turret adjustments too. Mil-Dots r OK, but i prefer line stadia for more accurate reference-- EXCEPT that open Mil-dot Nightforce has.

Food for thought, but I've always found the 50mm scopes pulled my cheeckpiece off the stock. For long range shooting, proper cheek fit is important. Also, the closer the scope is to the bore the better. The greater the distance more canting comes into play. I've had good luck with the high end leupolds plus their fine crosshairs are good for precision placement.....just my druthers.

Good points 7mmfan, I have a Leupold LR 4.5-14x50mm and it needs high rings on my .308 Win. Except for the last 5 months I practised out to 700yrds regularly with both the 4.5-14 and a VariXIII 3.5-10X50MM and found both to work fine for targets (steel gopher at 700). But you do need to be extra careful with canting and the high rings make it hard to get a good cheekweld.

I have the same rifle ordered from H-S but in the 7mm STW caliber. I narrowed my search down to the Zeiss 6-24X56 VM/V with Mil-Dot Reticle. Anxious to get get this combination to the range.

Good luck with the new rifle and the scope you decide on.

Those are all 3 excellent scope choices. I have no experience with anything but Leupold. I have one of there MK4, LR/T in 4.5-14x50 on my 300 RUM. They are very nice and clear scopes. I have looked through nightforces and they were also very bright and clear. YOu wont go wrong with any choice you make, however with that combo, you can wack deer a lot farther then 400 yards using clicks and a rangefinder and practice.

BTW do not rule out the new VXL in 56mm with the target turrest...Argon gas filled and diamond coat! They just rock!!!

Back