Which rifles are on your wish list?

My wish is for a nice older Ruger Number 1 in 30-06 to go with the two '06s that I currently own. Do I "need" it no,do I want it yes, why?... Impulsive I guess.

April, I am surprised no-one has the Savage combo, you speak of. I like them they are a fun gun. My great uncle has a 22 hornet over a 20 ga and a 30/30 over 12 gauge. He also has an old 470 NE double, that no one uses.

RM, that is a very nice double, very pretty.

RM or April. Is it a tricky proposition changing the caliber on the old doubles, ? are you able to re regulate them fairly easy or does the accuracy suffer ?

Brooke

My Centerfire Rifles.
.223 Rem in a Remington 700, I'm not a AR-15 Fan everyone in the Marine Corps jammed.
My first 6mm Rem in 700 BDL what's not to like 2.2 inch groups at 300yds
.264WM Model 70XTR the Ultimate Western Cartridge per Winchester.
300 H&H Mag Model 70 Pre-War just a Great Gun Winchester got this right.

I have all I need in North America and more.

Well, I can scratch one of my wish list!

The Model 88 in 284 will be here soon!

Now to find a spare magazine...and dies and brass...

alaska100":3hl8l7n2 said:
RM or April. Is it a tricky proposition changing the caliber on the old doubles, ? are you able to re regulate them fairly easy or does the accuracy suffer ?

Brooke

Well. In general once a double is regulated and solded up it stayes regulated using the same kind of ammunition is was regulated with. There are exceptions to that rule but if the regulation is done correct you can be lucky to find a doublerifle from 1880s that will regulate perfect as it left shop provided you duplicate(reload) your ammunition to 1880s specs(bullet weight, velocity etc).

To change the caliber on a doublerifle is easy...just get a set of new barrels made...voila!....well there are calibers where a gunmaker can ream out the chamber...like .375Nitro express 2,5" to.375 H&H flanged magnum , 45-70 to .450 3,25" express etc. A new regulation after chambered for a new caliber is-a-must-again job.

Rigbymauser":3t7m8tf1 said:
alaska100":3t7m8tf1 said:

Brooke
. A new regulation after chambered for a new caliber is-a-must-again job.

and can be expensive.

Brooke, I am not sure from reading RM's original post, but I think he might just have a chamber insert in the barrels of the old double, as it "was", "is now" and "will be" a .458

If I am correct this is not as difficult of a change as re-reaming and re-regulating the barrels. It is a slow and expensive process to re=regulate the barrels after a caliber change, involving heating the barrels, removing the wedge and starting over with a new wedge and alignment, this is after the load and bullet has been selected.

Either way, the double RM has is a classic caliber and a beautiful rifle. Congratulations RM on owning such a fine rifle and I completely agree with the change your making, best of luck

I won't be buying any anytime soon, but...
An original 700 Varmint in .222
A new 700 Varmint of some sort in .22-250
Weatherby Vanguard n .240 Weatherby Mag
A sportier of some sort in .260
A tacticool rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua
Old School Remington Mountain Rifle in .280
Kimber Montana in .280 AI
M70 of some sort in .338
Custom M70 in .340 Weatherby
A tacticool rifle in .338 Edge or RUM
M70 .375 H&H
Maybe one of the long barreled SS/laminate .375 Ruger Alaskans
A .404 Jeffery

And all bets are out the window with regards to M70 CRF rifles and 7WSMs.

I have a donor action and a donor rifle (both 700LA/'06 bolt face) that will become something... Maybe a 6.5-06 and .338-06.

Mine are as follows, but not necessarily in any order:

A Ruger American Predator Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor
A Marlin 1895 in .45-70
A rifle in 7x57 or 7mm-08
A rifle in 6.5x55, my all time favorite round
An 1874 Sharps repro in .45-70 or longer .45 cartridge
A Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag
A Schofield repro in .44-40
Make a rifle in 6.5-06, or 6.5-.284
A repro 1873 Colt in .357

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Oh, yeah! And maybe a repro Winchester 1876 Centennial in .45-75, or .45-90!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

BK":l25rpe1b said:
I won't be buying any anytime soon, but...
An original 700 Varmint in .222
A new 700 Varmint of some sort in .22-250
Weatherby Vanguard n .240 Weatherby Mag
A sportier of some sort in .260
A tacticool rifle in 6.5x47 Lapua
Old School Remington Mountain Rifle in .280
Kimber Montana in .280 AI
M70 of some sort in .338
Custom M70 in .340 Weatherby
A tacticool rifle in .338 Edge or RUM
M70 .375 H&H
Maybe one of the long barreled SS/laminate .375 Ruger Alaskans
A .404 Jeffery

And all bets are out the window with regards to M70 CRF rifles and 7WSMs.

I have a donor action and a donor rifle (both 700LA/'06 bolt face) that will become something... Maybe a 6.5-06 and .338-06.

BK, you will enjoy the 338-06. I am liking my custom Model 700 LH in this cartridge. Getting 1/2" groups with 215 gr Sierra GameKings at 2750 fps with 62.0 gr of H414. The 6.5-06 would be a nice compliment to the 338-06. Although the 280 or 280 AI would be great too!

Yeah, it's just a matter of getting it done. Too many other things to pay for/off.

I've been lusting over a CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62. Why? I have absolutely no idea other than liking old cartridges, I mean my chances of getting stomped to death by a Cape buffalo are pretty slim in North MS haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland48,

Nice choice for the 9.3! While you may not have many critters nicknamed "Black Death" in MS, there are a host of other big game animals there and in the rest of the lower 48 that would not be able to tell you that they were slain by the 9.3 with a 250 gr bullet vs an '06 and a 220 gr bullet.

Well, I am in the process of scratching another rifle off the list!

Found a Marlin 1894S in 41 Rem Mag, and it will be here in its new home soon.

Looking forward to comparing performance of various loads between it and my Model 57 with a 6" barrel.

bdbrown66":13mb0dq2 said:
My safe is pretty much full to overflowing right now, and I don't have enough time to shoot the ones that I've got as often as I'd like. Currently, the collection looks like this:

Custom Oberndorf Mauser sporter, .30-06, made by my wife's grandfather
Mannlicher-Schoenhauer MCA, .30-06
Remington 788, .22-250, inherited from my grandfather
Marlin XS7 .243 (x2)
Mossberg 146B, .22, inherited from my grandfather (plus another one as a parts gun)
Olympic AR-15 A2
Marlin 57M, .22 mag, inherited from my uncle
Soviet SKS, 7.62x39, 1950's vintage
Cabelas Hawken caplock muzzleloader, .50 cal
Traditions Vortek inline muzzleloader, .50 cal
Ted Williams 3T, .22 (same as Winchester 190)

Seems like I might be forgetting something...

Plus a few shotguns and handguns.

The only thing I'd like to add to the collection for the foreseeable future is a Henry .45-70, one of the new models with the color case hardened receiver. It's a beautiful gun, and Henry has a great reputation. A number of the surrounding states that used to be shotgun-only for deer are now allowing straight-wall rifle cartridges, and so this would make a pretty good deer rifle up there.
I just got my Henry. Have to get it sighted in.

Well, I am in the process of scratching another rifle off the list!

Found a Marlin 1894S in 41 Rem Mag, and it will be here in its new home soon.

Looking forward to comparing performance of various loads between it and my Model 57 with a 6" barrel.

I have been able to scratch this one itch with acquiring a Modell 88 in 284! I've mounted a Leupold vx3 in 1.75-6 for load development. Will keep you posted

You're killing me here! :grin:

Can't buy anything without selling something for the foreseeable future. I don't have a lot left that I would like to buy but here are a few that I would like to find:

Henry 41 Magnum lever gun (or the hard to find here Marlin like the one Blkram found :) )
A Browning BL 22 for my wife
A nice lefty friendly 222 or 223 Rem

Other firearms

Smith & Wesson 586 or 686 .357 Magnum
Smith & Wesson 57 .41 Magnum
Ruger Bearcat 22 LR
H&R 10 gauge singe shot.
A nice double 20 or 28 gauge for my wife.

Back