Which rifles are on your wish list?

Guy Miner":1215bz81 said:
Blkram":1215bz81 said:
Must be the difference of my younger years, that there are so many rifles that I would still,like to own or build. Not sure if I can picture myself not wanting or needing another rifle. Yet!

I realized after I started this post that I had forgotten to list the Remington Model 7 Custom MS in 250-3000 or 35 Remington.

:grin: Ya, when I was younger, I had a whole list of rifles I "needed." Ha! I've got far more rifles than I need. And more than I want actually. Would actually be quite happy with:

.22 long rifle for small game, varmint & target practice/plinking

5.56mm AR-15 because they're FUN and useful. Doubles as an excellent coyote rifle.

.25-06 Rem 700 for deer & antelope hunting
(insert the light-recoiling, flat shooting, accurate rifle of your choice)

.30-06 Rem 700 Or "something bigger" for bear, elk, and what-have you

And an honest to goodness target rifle in any number of cartridges. Something I can use for competition, or just to hone my skills. My .308 Win/Rem 700 has been filling that role for 20+years and several barrels now.

So... Five rifles would do the job, quite nicely, for me.

Regards, Guy

Sounds like we think alike. I have a model 70 in .243 for deer and antelope. A couple of ARs for coyotes, a 270 for elk and moose if I ever get drawn, and a custom 7 x 57 Ackley Improved with a match grade Krieger barrel for target.

A Browning auto 1 in .22, or any .22 w/ a magazine in the butt stock
A CZ in .22 or 22Mag
A High standard "sport King" .22 rifle
Ruger bolt action .22 in that "target gray" finish and a walnut stock
An Ithica 37 Deerslayer
Ruger RSI in 250-3000 Sav
A savage 14 in 250-Savage
A bolt action 30-30
A 6.5x55 Krag Jorgenson
Thompson ICON in 22-250
A marlin model 80 w/ a walnut stock
a .22 hornet or a .17 hornet
A nice 25-06
I might be falling victim to the "creedmore craze", don't know why

I'd trade them all for a pronghorn tag.

Sad part is over the years I have had or had access to several of these and either decided I couldn't afford them or sold them.

Dr Mike, Gil, April---very well played, loved it (-:

Cloverleaf and any and all others. And I am being serious not sarcastic or argumentative, it is a question. Why all the 22 rifles, what do you do with them ? Even the 243, what do you hunt with it. The smallest rifle I use is a 7mmwsm and the 275 H & H. Are they just fun and inexpensive to shoot ?

Cheyenne, just about every farm kid starts with a 22 for hunting rabbits, squirrels, grouse, and further east and south, ground squirrels or prairie dogs. Whether for food or pest control. Many graduate to 22 caliber centre fires for reaching out for prairie dogs, fox, coyotes, Bobcats, raccoons, badgers and woodchuck, again for pest or predator control and to protect livestock and pastureland.

Yes, the 22LR is very inexpensive to shoot compared to the the larger caliber so, and the rifles are also less expensive.

The 243 is a dual purpose rifle that was meant for pests and predators, but was large enough to take deer and antelope as well.

The thing for you farther north, is that most of the game is much larger due to the colder climates and need to conserve heat and get through the deeper snows. The smaller calibers are not seen as often due to the difference in game, and as you so often suggest, due to more work involved in everyday survival compared to the less taxing environment and longer warm seasons here and farther south. Not to mention change in lifestyles down south compared to further north. Many people have more spare time to engage in the hobby side of the past time compared to the working side of the past time as you are exposed to. This is a side that gets seldom discussed today.

I'm with Guy, 5 rifles would do the job quite nicely. Well that's what I thought until I read the rest of these posts. I might be falling victim to the "Creedmoor Craze" myself, cloverleaf. I have to stop reading this stuff, it costing me money. Ok, I admit it, I have a sickness. But I do have an extra scope, so I do "need" a rifle for it, right?

Hi Cheyenne,
Continuing a little longer on the 22 thread. 22LR is Rim fire. I own 1, but through various other means, I now have 5. Makes for fun with youngsters learning to shoot. Some are scoped, some are iron sights. You can get ammo in the subsonic speeds which is easy on the ears, and out of my Savage heavy barrel, perfect for head shots on small game keeping the meat nice. Loaded 22 LR runs about 10/$1.

In the 223 family, which are necked center fire, you can get personal defense and predator rounds, closer to 2/$1. Fox, coyote, woodchuck, prairie dog etc. I have a friend who I load 223REM for around 3300 fps with fragmentary rounds. He has 80 cattle. Small critters can make holes that can break a leg. Coyotes are prowling all the time and the deer feast on his crops, but are out of season January through Sept. all that to same the 223 stays on the tractor all the time. I also know deer snipers will use a 223Rem for head shooting deer for culling in city/suburban parks at night when the herd needs to be thinned.

I do admire your collection of H&H chambered rounds. Wish I had thought of that! I'd add it to my bucket list, but am practical.. today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Palouser":3rc96km6 said:
SJB358":3rc96km6 said:
Anything P64 for this guy..

A P64 Supergrade would be pretty danged cool though.

Now a P64 7x57, not saying I wouldn't keep adding rifles, but that would simmer me down for a little while.

I know where there is an unfired Pre-64 in 7x57 for sale. PM me if you are interested. Asking price was $7,000, last I asked. My dream rifle. If only my wife chose to be a doctor instead of a teacher.

Dang, that is a Bucket List for rifle I don't really mention cause most of the time, they are usually so danged out of reach..

Thankful Otter":3l5l5hb8 said:

Cloverleaf and any and all others. And I am being serious not sarcastic or argumentative, it is a question. Why all the 22 rifles, what do you do with them ? Even the 243, what do you hunt with it. The smallest rifle I use is a 7mmwsm and the 275 H & H. Are they just fun and inexpensive to shoot ?

So, I'll get a little flack for this, but I don't even own a 22 LR....

Now, a 243... Well, it and the 22-250 have been some of the most useful cartridges in my safe. From little stuff, to teaching younger or even older hunters how to handle a BG rifle they have been excellent. Very little recoil and usually a big pay off if loaded correctly. Make no mistake about it, the 243 loaded with GREAT bullets is a killing rig. It will get alot of work done. I wouldn't want it for my all arounder, but for deer sized stuff it works pretty danged well. We have killed piles or even truckloads of deer with the 22-250 and 243 over the years and despite that little danged bullet, if the hunter is a shooter in the least, deer don't go far.

elkhunternm":1hgrgv06 said:
A double rifle in either .470 or .500 NE.

Anderson Wheeler in London offers a 500NE at a fairly reasonable price, for a double rifle. He has a contract with a rifle builder in France for the basic rifle and then he customizes it in London and I believe he is selling them for approx 15000 pounds.

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila, your idea of a fairly reasonable price and mine differ drastically LOL

Gil, Scotty, mjcmichigan--thank you, we have never owned a 22 and I saw so may people speaking so favorably of the 243, I was just curious, However I am still hoping cloverleaf responds as that is a lot of 22';s on his wish list and I am just curious. Everybody has the right to own and wish for whatever they want, so not being critical in any way, just curious, thank's

African Huntress,that's $11,962.80 in USA dollars. Not a bad price for a double rifle .500 NE. Far cheaper than a H&H or a Rigby double rifle.

Jamila, if my memory serves me correctly Anderson Wheeler is a partner at Griffin and Howe and they supply rifles built by Griffin and Howe which will be a tad more and they have some build in France and then customize them, which is mainly engraving, but this rifle will be less than the ones built in their plant

elkhunterman, I think it would be closer to 19000.00 which is still a very low price for a good double

Scotty, no 22 or 30-06--do you own a 30-30 ?

For a less expensive double, check out the article in the latest Shooting Times magazine on the FAIR Iside doubles ranging in price from $4,993-$5,545 USD.

A 9.3x74R double can be had for less than a 5digit price tag! (Largest cartridge chambered)

Europe,it's only money. :lol:

Blkram,always wanted a double rifle in the .470 or .500 NE. Don't know why,but those cartridges just tickle my fancy. :grin:

elkhunternm, good point---

Gil, I am no where close to a Shooting Times magazine. tell me more , are these used or new, and if new, who is the manufacturer. Very interesting, thanks

I'd love an Echols Legend in .375 H&H, one rifle to hunt anything with anywhere . I'd settle for the same rifle in .270 though.

SJB358":jomomu42 said:
Thankful Otter":jomomu42 said:

Otter- No offense- but a Magnum anything is not required to kill an ELK and at best antelope is in my realm of possibility. A 250 Savage or 25-06 is perfect for that. I have a 12 Ga slug gun for deer where that is required. And Im from a generation that still carried firearms back and forth to school, so we could hunt pheasants or ducks on the way home. 50 rounds was $.80 cents. It was the rifle we had and could afford to "play" and learn with. Unfortunately probably not as likely for you. Those .22's are connected with good childhood memories. We shot everything from chewing tobacco tins thrown in the air to rabid vermin. No X-box you know :) CL

Europe,

The following info is from the article;

F.A.I.R. Is Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini, an Italian company founded in 1971 and produces an extensive selection of over and under and side by side shotguns and rifles. Imported into the US by Italian Firearms Group in Amarillo Texas.

There are 3 grades of Iside double rifles: Safari, Safari EM and Safari Prestige. Selling for $4,993, $5,187 and $5,545 respectively. Calibers available; 243, 270, 308 Wiinchesters, 30-06, 30R Blaser, 7x57, 8x57 and 9.3x74R.

These are box lock doubles, with engraved side plates, single triggers, and nicely figured and fitted walnut butt stock and forearms (Prestige model tested and photographed in article). Barrels are 21.75" joined in a mono lock construction. Open sights are fibre optic front and a yellow triangle rear, and comes with a top rib that is designed for scope mounts.

The rifle is good looking and fit and finish was good. Price belies the rifles quality. Weight is 6 3/4 lbs.

Accuracy with factory ammo (Federal 285 gr A-Frames) just over 2" for 3 shot groups from both barrels at 50 meters from a Lead Sled. The left barrel only would print groups of less than 1". Other factory and hand loads tried varied, but some would show a preference in the right or left barrel with 3 shot groups of less than 1" from a certain barrel. Groups from both barrels ranged from 2.2" to 5.3" for all factory and hand loads tested. 8 of 19 loads tested produced groups of less than 3".

Elkhunternm, no need to explain a desire of those big bores tickling your fancy...I experience the same thing with several calibers I own! The 416 Taylor and 376 Steyr tickled my fancies, as there are no elephant or Cape buffalo here. But we do have Buffalo! And my chances of finding a mammoth to hunt here are pretty slim today! LOL (although there are stories of Large Animals in our culture here from not too long ago. Our Dene ancestors have been here for over 14,000 years and there are stories of mammoths still here just over 200 years ago)

Gil, thank you. I do know of them and I have never owned one of their rifles but I have also never heard anything negative about them . For a double the price is right and the 74R would let you hunt a lot of animals in a lot of places around the world. Elkhuntermn this is definitely one that you might want to check out if your willing to move down in caliber.

Dr Mike, I am sure the kid will be along to suggest Gil is talking about you and I in his last sentence

Back