Which rifles are on your wish list?

April, as funny as that is...(trying very hard not to laugh out loud here!)...

I was not intending, nor did it cross my mind, for it to be a reference in any way as to how long in the tooth the good Dr is getting! LOL (OK, just can't help but laugh out loud!)

And good manners taught to me by my mom and grandma would never let me even think of referring to a lady of your stature in such a manner! (Being genuine and serious for a moment here)
I do enjoy your sense of humour! I know that my great grandmother would have laughed with you on this one! She was feisty and very quick of wit too!

Well this is a very easy question to answer
I would like to own a Winchester 150th year Anniversary Model 70 in 270. I missed one a month ago, with outradious wood on it, trying to buy it toooo cheap. Someone else snaged it. I am still watching trying to find one with the right wood on it.
I would probably never fire it , just like to have it to display in the shop and as an investment. The stock are carbon copys of the Al Biesen's wood he did on JOC custom rifle.
The engraving and gold inlays seam more well apointed than they were on the JOC commemorative model a few years ago. The checkering pattern was Biesen's signature pattern but he often had the true "Mullered" borders (always present on graded Parker Shotguns)surrounding the pattern, that is missing on these guns.
I think I know someone that is capable of finishing that pattern correctly.

Europe,never had the "tickling fancy" for a 9.3 of any flavor. Go figure. Do have 4- .375's,three are in the H&H version and one is in the newer RUM (Remington Ultra Magnum).

Blkram,almost bought a .416 Taylor a year ago,but at $4000...well.....

Do have a .460 Wby and a .450 Howell that are chomping at the bit to be used on BIG game in the future.

Europe":23jpcfpb said:
Dr Mike, I am sure the kid will be along to suggest Gil is talking about you and I in his last sentence

She has no idea what we've seen and where we may have been. (y)

DrMike":299jxrhq said:
Europe":299jxrhq said:
Dr Mike, I am sure the kid will be along to suggest Gil is talking about you and I in his last sentence

She has no idea what we've seen and where we may have been. (y)
It seems us Senior folks think alike. If only the younger ones would accept our wisdom but then what would we do with out the banter with them to keep our wit razor sharp and keep them on their toes. :lol:

Surprisingly I have no bucket list and buy more for need then desire anymore. The 35 Whelen was my A list cartridge which I got so there are no others and those that I will buy in the future will be more of a sporadic nature of seeing it and buying it on the spot and is what I've done with most of the rifles I have owned.

I don't think that they are not liked and I would love to own one but I have reached my limit on buying.

elkhuntermn, so do you think we screwed up by getting them new ones. we never thought to look for good used ones to be honest. What is wrong with the new ones compared to the ones made in the 50's trough 70's, since that was before my time.

Rodger, thank you

due to some unhappy people, I will revise my post and just ask about the Sako's being made today and whether anyone likes them and not relate the story about my sisters and parents

African Huntress,no you did not screw up by buying the new Sako's. The older Sako's have a "cult" like status kinda like the Pre '64 M 70 Winchesters but much smaller. ;)

Africa Huntress":1l9la1is said:
I dont think I saw many Sako's on anyone's wish list here, are they not liked in North America ?

Best Regards

Jamila

I have an L 691 and an 85, the L 691 is going up for sale at some point and the 85 is staying. I only want one Sako so have that itch scratched.

You are right! I forgot to put on my updated list the LH Sako 85 Hunter in 6.5x55 that I have on order (but probably why I missed it as it in the procurement process already...as is the LH Ruger 77 in 9.3x62 that I have the donor rifle and barrel for already).

I absolutely love my custom LH Sako AV in 7MM STW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamila, you should not have edited your original post. I saw it earlier and had planned to comment when I was not too busy bending my elbow

Jamila and her sisters saved their money and bought their mom and dad sako's for their anniversary
dad got a Safari 500 Jefferey and mom got a 6,5 x55 Bavarian Carbine. Congratulations to all of you

If I still hunted I think I would be tempted to pick up an 85 Finnlight 30-06. yes Scotty a 30-06

elkhuntermn, I understand your point about the rifles from 50 to 70, as in my not so humble opinion, everything was better at that time, especially Dr Mike and I

Europe":2jz49cko said:
Jamila, you should not have edited your original post. I saw it earlier and had planned to comment when I was not too busy bending my elbow

Jamila and her sisters saved their money and bought their mom and dad sako's for their anniversary
dad got a Safari 500 Jefferey and mom got a 6,5 x55 Bavarian Carbine. Congratulations to all of you

If I still hunted I think I would be tempted to pick up an 85 Finnlight 30-06. yes Scotty a 30-06

elkhuntermn, I understand your point about the rifles from 50 to 70, as in my not so humble opinion, everything was better at that time, especially Dr Mike and I

Very thoughtful gifts for your mom and dad, Jamila. I've tried selling that idea to my girls, but they are focused on the idea that I have enough. Enough rifles? I failed, somehow.

Yeah, somehow those past years were far better than I knew, April. My dad used to quote a poem when I was a little boy. Didn't really appreciate it at the time, but I do now.

Backwards, turn backwards, oh time in thy flight,
make me a child again, just for tonight.
(Elizabeth Akers Allen, "Rock Me to Sleep")

I'm with Dr. Mike, what a great gift for your parents! I'm sure they are appreciative of the gift, but even more so that you worked hard and together. My heart pitter-patters when I see my sons working together.

Blkram":mt1jjs5f said:
You are right! I forgot to put on my updated list the LH Sako 85 Hunter in 6.5x55 that I have on order (but probably why I missed it as it in the procurement process already...as is the LH Ruger 77 in 9.3x62 that I have the donor rifle and barrel for already).

I absolutely love my custom LH Sako AV in 7MM STW

After a lengthy wait, I have finally received my LH Sako Hunter in 6.5 x 55!
Mounted a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 (off my late father's 300 WSM) on it to take it out for testing.

And she is a shooter!
First shot on paper after boresighting with my Leupold boresighting tool, went 2" high, at 100 yards. The first 3 shots went into a 0.390" group, center to center with the HSM 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD ammo. The next 3 shot group with Nosler 140 gr AB's went 0.689", and the 3rd group with Federal Fusion 140 gr ammo went 0.383"!

Should be able to work up a sweet load for this rifle! With luck I hope to break into that sub 1/4 MOA group with this rifle!

Found a used Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 for a good price to put on it, and will put the Leupold back on the 300.

Will be packing this hunting for next while!

Love how these Sako's handle and shoot!

Now to find a matching 9.3 x 62 rifle.....

Back