Who has handled the Leica Rangefinder?( I ordered one today)

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I need a new rangefinder, and have really been considering the Leica CRF 1000. I don't need to range anything past 600 or 700 yards. They look like a pretty good unit. There is no way I can afford a Swaro, so don't even suggest it. So, has anybody played with one yet?

SE, I think Brian has one and loves it. I don't think there is any difference from the Leica's to the Swaro's other than price.. I am sure Brian will weigh in when he sees this, but from everything he says, he likes them alot.

I've heard nothing but good about the Leica from everyone I've known who's owned one. Now, I don't own one, and short of ranging some trees and stuff through a store window in Birmingham, AL, I have no experience with them. I can tell you that, should you ever be hunting in an urban area, through a storefront window with a lot of lettering and decals, and you need to know if that treeline on the ridge across the way is 600yds or 800yds, you can sure find out without hesitation. You can also range office buildings through that same window, at 1122yds. By the way, the treeline was 638yds. I won the bet. The guy I was with said it was "at least 800, maybe 1k. I said closer to 600yds. Just lucky, really. But the Leica is on my wishlist before I head west for hunting. If you're looking for a great deal, cameralandny.com had the 1600 on sale for $650 recently. Wish I had that kind of spare cash laying around right now.

I have a Geovid, and it is excellent in every respect. The CRF range finders I've handled were just as good. Scotty is correct that the Swarovski is top flight as well. Having said that, if you have the Leica, you would have little reason to look for another in this lifetime.

Thanks guys. I almost bought the new redfield, but I would rather only have to buy one rangefinder for a long time.

ScreaminEagle":3ci1opwc said:
Thanks guys. I almost bought the new redfield, but I would rather only have to buy one rangefinder for a long time.

Don't waste your duckets SE.. Been down that road and once you buy them and realize they don't do what you want, you end up taking it in the shorts.. I still have to convince myself of that once in awhile as well!

SE,

That Leica 1600 will be money well spent for a rangefinder. I have the 1200 and think its great for the monocular style rangefinder. Ranged out to 1100 often without a problem. Glass is very clear and will get a reading 90-95% of first time ranging. I would like to upgrade to the Zeiss Victory RF, but the 1200 works just fine.

I've had a Leica LRF 1200 for six or seven years now. It has had a rough life... and never complained once. Knowing that it would last this long, and be as stone cold reliable as any piece of equipment I own.... I'd have gladly paid twice what they wanted for them at the time. I have owned Nikon, Leup, Bushnell, and Simmons rangefinders.... the only one that works all the time is the Leica.

Don't buy any rangefinder but the Leica... or you'll regret it. Buy once, cry once.... then enjoy it for a decade.

I had the 1000 yard Leica and had to sell it. I've been crying ever since. It worked all the time, every time, and read distances out beyond what it was supposed to.
David.

DrMike, what is the cost of those Leica :?:
Do you think they are better than the Ziess?

Just thinking out loud :)

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

I like them both. The Zeiss is top quality, as is the Leica. Frankly, I don't believe one surpasses the other. For myself, it would be a matter of accessibility. The Zeiss Victory PRF is ~$850 CDN. A Zeiss Victory RF 10X56 T is around $3900 CDN. The Leica CRF will run you around $810 CDN. An 8 X 42 Geovid runs about $2400 CDN.

I have the Leica CRF 1600. Bought it when it first came out. Solid unit and FAST - I mean FAST. Press button and you have your range. The 1600 hit trees / hill side out to 1400+ reliably.

I started off with a Leupold because of the price. I used a buddy's Leica two years ago and bought one a couple of months later and haven't looked back. The Leica is sweeeet

I played with my buddy's. Very clear and nice piece overall.

Just ordered the Leica CRF 1000 today. I didn't feel that I needed anymore distance than 1000yds. Most of my longest shots are around 500-600.

Bud, I would never hesitate on Leica they have a great name. I just purchase my first one in the scope variety :)
Mike thinks they are top shelf and that is a good enough for this guy :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3ukx4e83 said:
Bud, I would never hesitate on Leica they have a great name. I just purchase my first one in the scope variety :)
Mike thinks they are top shelf and that is a good enough for this guy :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Dan, what did you get buddy? I really like the looks of them Leica's.. Wanna hear what you think of them.

SE,

Just remenber, pay once and cry once.
This will be a very good investmant for you.
I have a Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 and love it!

JD338

Back