Why no love for Hybrid 100 V?

McDAccountant

Beginner
Oct 2, 2012
I see shelves full of it and lots of it still available online.

I think its a great powder for the heavier bullets in .243 (90-100 grain). Plan on testing it with some 165gr. bullets in 30-06 this Spring.

Anyone else use it???

It's the powder I use for 243 WIN 90 -100gn. Been using it for 2 years now. It produces the smallest groups out of mine and a buddy's 243 so far. Velocity is good.
So far I have no reason to try anything else in my 243.

Welcome to the forum, McDAccountant. It is good to have you aboard. Yours is a great question. I suspect that the reason H100V doesn't receive the love of other propellants is related to the fact that it is one of the newer powders and has not gained the status of older powders, especially among those who have been hand loading for some time. It is the powder I turn to now when loading the 140 grain PT in my 280. It gives me excellent velocities and superb accuracy. It has also given me good performance in the 300WSM with lighter bullets.

My opinion is the same about it being new. I use it with the 110 AccuBond bullet in the .257 Roberts. The burning rate is between IMR 4350 and 4831 which makes it a good powder for many slightly overbore calibers.

I've seen the same thing as it is one of the few powders my wife could find for me on a trip to tri cities. I use it in my 284 and am working on loads for the 6.5 creedmoor with it. LOVE====>H100V :mrgreen:

atmoshpere":2g3ybvg7 said:
I've seen the same thing as it is one of the few powders my wife could find for me on a trip to tri cities. I use it in my 284 and am working on loads for the 6.5 creedmoor with it. LOVE====>H100V :mrgreen:
Let me know how it works in the creedmoor, Been thinking of trying some in mine.
Right now I use H4350 with 130gr Bergers for target/varmints

DrMike":2o3g6p62 said:
Welcome to the forum, McDAccountant. It is good to have you aboard.

Thanks, DrMike! I've been lurking for a long time, registered in October, 2012, but just decided to make a post out of curiosity because I had not seen much posted about H100V...a few posts here and there but that was all.

Great board here! I've learned tons of stuff from a lot of folks with much more experience than I have (two years).

As for the H100V, I've tried all the other go to powders, but seem to get the most accuracy and most consistent velocities in my .243 from H100V when using the "heavier" bullets in .243. I also like the fact that it is easy to work with (measures well) and is very clean shooting from my rifle.

Surprised others haven't given it a try just because its newer.

It worked well in my buddies 300WSM with 165 AB's. I know there are quite a few that use it quite a bit in the 243 and 270's as well. Everytime I have used it, it has done very well.

Welcome aboard!

Revisit H100V in about five years, and you will see much more of it. Other very good powders are still looking for their niche. Eventually, all find their place, or they disappear. Too frequently, despite appearing to work very well, they disappear, nevertheless (witness WXR, WMR and RL12).

DrMike":g5e9xhzj said:
Revisit H100V in about five years, and you will see much more of it. Other very good powders are still looking for their niche. Eventually, all find their place, or they disappear. Too frequently, despite appearing to work very well, they disappear, nevertheless (witness WXR, WMR and RL12).

RL12 is one of those ones I wished I had been able to try. Joel raves about it in the 22-250 and other say it was also EXCELLENT in the 358 and 35 Whelen.. Ah well, I will just suffer with RL15 for now!

100V has worked well accuracy wise with 95gr BTs in the 243 AI and 140 ABs in the 270 Win. Got good speeds with the 243, but nothing blazing fast with the 270.

I am afraid that everyone is going to "suffer now" for awhile until Buckwheat gets off the gun control march.

Ain't that the truth!
And while all these reports sound very interesting, I been trying to get my inventory down to the 5 main powder's I use. I wouldn't mine trying where I use H-4350, but not sure the funds wouldn't better served in larger containers of what I am familiar with. The H100V sure sounds enticing however, it's not like it wouldn't get used.

onesonek":1hvhhjpa said:
Ain't that the truth!
And while all these reports sound very interesting, I been trying to get my inventory down to the 5 main powder's I use. I wouldn't mine trying where I use H-4350, but not sure the funds wouldn't better served in larger containers of what I am familiar with. The H100V sure sounds enticing however, it's not like it wouldn't get used.

That's why I don't use it anymore. Currently trying to use fewer powders and buy #8 kegs. Varget works just fine with the 95 BTs and will try some 7828ssc with the 140 ABs.

I read the article on it in I believe American Riflemen when it first came out. Seemed really promising. I think the current lower popularity of a lot of powders is partially due to Hodgedon's "extreme" powder marketing. Everyone thinks they need an "extreme" powder for every application, and many of the spherical powders are falling in popularity.

I have a few calibers that I would like to try it in, but those are also well served with IMR 4350 that I have many pounds of. Like the above posts, the current shortages have pused me towards keeping a lot of a couple versatile powders rather than browsing small quantities of new or different powders.

Hard to justify buying a pound at a time to load one caliber that I might not find next time I need it when I can buy 8 lb of 4350 and 4064 (when I can find the stuff) and load every rifle in my safe.

I think for a person that shoots a lot of a caliber in it's sweet spot, H100V would be a fine choice.

Woodycreek":2f0amd98 said:
onesonek":2f0amd98 said:
Ain't that the truth!

That's why I don't use it anymore. Currently trying to use fewer powders and buy #8 kegs. Varget works just fine with the 95 BTs and will try some 7828ssc with the 140 ABs.

Yep Brian,,,,,I'm torn right now with the decission of my 5th powder, between Varget and RL-15. Either works well with my all my load applications. The RL-15 shoots better with cast in the .375JDJ, so I'm leaning that way.

That's a hard choice between those two. I went with Varget for the 243 and 308 Win. Never did try RL-15 since Varget has worked so well.

Don't mean to hijack this but since RL-15 is being discussed...Friday I was at a small gun shop with a friend who was picking up a new rifle. I asked if he had any powder or primers and he said he didn't deal with that stuff. He came out from his back room a few minutes later with two lbs of RL-15 and 3000 CCI #41 primers and asked if I had interest in them. They were ordered a few years back by a customer who never picked them up. I asked the price and he replied, "$27/lb for the powder and $39/1000 for the primers". I told him I'd take them off his hands. :wink:

Same guy had a stack of DPMS ARs in his back room, maybe 15-18, which he isn't selling to anyone local. He's getting much, much more for them online than he would be comfortable to sell to any of his local customers. :evil:

Wow, nice score CC.. That RL15 will work pretty well in your Whelen, whenever you decide to get one!

Back