Wild game roast in a charcoal briquete cooker/smoker!

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
Deer, Elk, or Antelope roast- 4-6 pounds or whatever size you need/want.

Potatoes- I like to wash them and cut them up with the skins on into large bite size pieces.

Carrots- Buy a bag of baby carrots that way you don't have to cut up carrots.

Onion- Get a large onion of your liking and cut it up into chunks about 1/2 inch sized.

Green & red peppers- If you like. A few pieces chunked up is great, but not necessary.

Black pepper & Garlic salt-

Put the roast in a large roaster or kettle that has a top to it. Wipe the inside of the roaster with some cooking oil first before the roast, and then put a little water in the bottom. Put the roast in and season it with pepper and salt as you wish. Put in the chunked up potatoes, the carrots, and then cover everything with the onions and the peppers in the roaster/kettle. Cut up mushrooms placed on top are good too.

Weber- Standard black briquete BBQ
Put coals in the BBQ and light them and make sure they are grey and are going good before you put the roast in. Once they are hot and going good, shut the air vents on the bottom down just a bit, maybe half-open. Put the roast with all of the fixings on the grill and cover the roast with the lid. Trick is to not put the lid on so it sits flat, but to put it at a little angle so smoke will work up under the lid and circulate around and then out of the kettle. Just before I put the roast on the BBQ, I throw a lot of Apple wood chips on the briquets, or whatever good smoking wood you wish to try. Alder wood works excellent too. It will start smoking good and put the cover on the Weber and have the top vents on it open just a bit, about half opened.
After about 1/2 hour of cooking, I pull the lid off the Weber and throw some more chips on the briquetes. Let cook about another 1/2 hour, and it should be about medium rare. I like my wild meat a little pink in the center. Not overly pink, but not quite like I would a beef roast. I start checking the roast after about 45 -50 minutes. It's surprising how fast they cook in there. Pretty close to being in the oven! Medium rare is the trick to juicy, tender, and tasty meat. :grin:
I assure you that this will be the best wild game roast you have ever had :!: :!:

Just to make a couple points clear. I wipe the roaster or the large kettle with some cooking oil before I put the roast in, not the roast itself.

The roaster lid of the large pot/kettle that the roast is in is what I am talking about when I say I put it at an angle so it does not sit flat. That way it still covers the food in the pot, but lets the wood smoke circulate up through the roaster and back out. That gets more smoky flavor to the food.

Back