Will some one please help me choose a chronograph?

bbearhntr

Handloader
Apr 10, 2011
I am finally ready to purchase a chronograph, I just need help deciding which one to get. I have a self imposed budget to stick to of under $250. I like the idea of the unit having a printer, but more importantly it must be reliable. What are your recomendations and why? Thanks gents!

i think if you are going to drop 250 on a chronograph you may as well wait and drop 600 on the oehler 35p. the unit has everything your looking for and more sans the 250 budget. i have used other types of chronographs but i will say the oehler is the one you want to buy if your serious about a chronograph. you can always set up at the range and take donations from people wanting to use it. :grin:

I have two Beta model Shooting Chronys. They do pretty much what you want they to do. I also have an Oehler Model 35 coming when my wife returns from the States. I have no doubt that it is a fine chronograph, which is why I bought it. For the money, if you take time to set up correctly, the Shooting Chrony will do all that you need. The Pro-Chrono also have a good reputation.

+1 with the Oehler 35.

I've been using the Pact Professional for the past couple of years now and it serves me well. It's within your budget of $250.

Oehler is the best that I have used, but have had fairly good luck with the Pact units (much less expensive). The Pact units can be a pain sometimes on sunny days, but they usually work well.

I don't know what they are called, but I would suggest avoiding the unit that has the electronics and display directly under the screens. I have seen three different guys shoot their units on the range (pretty funny), and have seen several other guys hit theirs with sabots and shotgun wads even though their bullets passed safely through.

I have a OEHLER M33 - i have had it for i think about 25 yrs - only thing i have ever done is upgrade the screens to skyscreen 11's years ago for better performance and accuracy ! - its being awesome- never a problem ! if i was to go buy one tomorrow i would try and get a M35 with sky screen 111's - JMHO RJ :)

Back