Winchester 70 Super Shadow 7mm WSM?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
I see these rifles pretty cheap over on Gunbroker. Anyone ever use one? I was wondering if the stock needed extra bedding, etc. Also, the 7mm WSM sure looks good on paper, brass is very scarce but ammo can still be found. The 270 WSM is much more prolific, I wonder why? So, anyone know if these rifles are OK or just junk? Thanks

I've owned both the .270 WSM and .300 WSM in the Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow, and can confess that they are pretty good rifles. They will group in about 1 inch or a little more, if you put decent scopes on them.
Now, I believe that the 7mm WSM is a really good round, but doesn't do anything more than what the .270 WSM can do. The 7mm WSM would achieve the same velocities as the .270 WSM within the same weight of bullets, but with the heavier 160-175grs it wasn't as spectacular as the 7mm Rem Mag, or 7mm Weatherby Mag., and just marginally better than a .280 Remington. Hence it could be why it never took off like the .270 or .300 WSM.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I picked up a M70 in 7WSM cheap...I thought I would cut it up and use it as a base for a custom .300WSM.

In short, I shot it...and it grouped 3/4" with Winchester 140gr ammo. I ended up selling it "as-is" to a buddy who's decked a bunch of stuff with it.

On 7mm vs 270 both in WSM, if you have a 270 or 7 you already load for, it would be another. I think I have 4 30 cals.

If I recall right 270WSM is on of dr mikes fav rounds.

WSM is a great cartridge. I’d be willing to own one if each.

Usually when you see a cheap model 70, it’s of vintage between the pre 64 action, and the when they brought the modern version back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own at least one each of the WSMs, all in Winchester Featherweight configuration. The 7WSM is a favourite. Truthfully, if you have a 7RM, you would be acquiring a ballistic twin. As is always the case, the 7mm will give you somewhat of a broader selection of bullets when compared to the 270WSM, but either will kill most effectively. I must say that I do love my 7WSM. I launch either 160 grain ABs or 160 grain Sierra HPBTs. I honestly can't say why I don't use 160 grain PTs. I have a load that gives me an honest 0.3 MOA accuracy at 2925 fps. Just never got around to loading these up since I had a good supply of the other two bullets. Great cartridge.

Thanks guys, I have owned/played with a 300 WSM and loaded for a friends, and I was very impressed with the round. I really like and have had some wonderful results with the 300 WinMag and it ran right with it. I gave the rifle I had ( it was a converted Mod 700 .308 Varmint, 24" bbl) to my Pastor in Texas. He had access to big fields down there. However, he hunted all the time with an old Mod 700 ADL SS/synthetic in 7mm Rem Mag I had given him years earlier, ha. I was just curious how the 7mm/270 WSMs compared. Merry Christmas guys!

" at least one each of the WSMs"...... :shock: :) you guys... :roll: :). Some of us are afflicted with a serious case of "rifleitis". "If ya cant remember how many ya got, you might have rifleitis...." Seriously, I had one in my hands in 25WSSM. Balistically, a useless chambering, (IMHO) but it was cheap enough that I thought about it. Looked good to me. Now if Winchester had made a .25 WSM? CL

I've been shooting a 7WSM for many years. Its a good balance of case capacity and bullet weight that seems to fit my needs. Even though I have many other rifles chambered for cartridges both bigger and smaller, I seem to hunt with the 7WSM most of the time. I hate breaks on hunting rifles and the 7WSM is about as much as I'm willing to deal with without one.
Brass was an issue for awhile. I bought a supply of Winchester brass from whomever was selling it on the boards but I paid a rather high price for most of it. I believe Hornady and one of the smaller brass manufacturers now sell 7WSM brass so that shouldn't really be an issue anymore.

preacher and all others who posted on this thread. I am only asking, as for the most part we tend to move in a different direction. Just asking, nothing more

We pay more and are willing to do so to obtain the best we can afford. Not the prettiest, but good, very good, tried and true type rifles. We would rather have three excellent rifles than a dozen cheap rifles. We worry about not just the rifle failing at a critical time, but it not holding up and/or preforming well in extreme conditions.

Are these just throw away rifles that allows one to "play" with a variety of calibers, cheaply, easy or ?????? Thank you

As far as the 7mmwsm is concerned It is one of my favorite calibers. The 7mmwsm and 348 are constant companions.

Are these just throw away rifles that allows one to "play" with a variety of calibers, cheaply, easy or ?????? Thank you

That's a pertinent part of my question...the rifle itself. I know the barreled action is fine, its the stock I'm concerned with. I hate trying to "beef up" a cheap synthetic to shoot well and remain stable. The finish on the metal is a rough blue, nothing fancy, ala the Mod 700 SPS, etc. No, I wouldn't waste money on any of the "throw away" rifles out there, I just don't trust them not to break/fall apart. ha I've always heard good things about the 7mm WSM, I don't understand why it isn't more popular. ?

Big discussion on one of the precision rifle forums about the wsm and the saum why some made it and others didn't it basically boils down to which one was more efficient.
I have 3 of the M70 tupper ware stock rifles. I buy them for the barreled action and replace the stock with either wood or a higher grade synthetic. The 35/AI and the 300wm have both seen some stiff loads and they have held up and I haven't broke anything yet. I buy them cheap, under $300 and then up grade them with different stocks and bottom metal. The New Havens are actually stronger than the pre 64s the minor design changes in the post 64 M70s made the difference.

Have experience with exactly ONE Model 70 New Haven 7mm WSM Coyote model. It is my son's. It is one of those setups that just came together easily, shot several bullets well, development was a snap, and the confidence got built. It just kills whatever it is shot at. When I had a little difficulty with my old Mauser this year, son said "take the Wizzum" - one shot, DRT cow elk @ 200 yds. Admittedly could have been done with nearly any decent setup, so it proves nothing - except it worked again. Just saying the cartridge and the rifle are a great combo for us, and I can't see a reason to avoid it at all if ammo/brass availability isn't an issue.
EE2

I’ve got a 270 and 7mm WSM in Classic 70’s. Both are pretty danged awesome cartridges that give up much to the 270 Wby or the 7 Rem Mag. They’ve both done great work in the woods and on the range. I’ve got tons of data, mostly from Mikes and my own shooting. That little 7 WSM is a hot rod.

Back