Winchester Model 70 action screw torque

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
Here is a question maybe Scotty or one of our other esteemed members can answer.

I have a mid 1980's vintage Mod 70 XTR Featherweight wood stocked 30/06. Is there a specific screw assembly sequence and recommended screw torque value whereby I can maintain consistency when I take the action in and out of the stock? I have had the stock free floated and glass bedded but not pillar bedded.

Thanks

35 inch pounds.

There's no sequence, but it is good practice to not tighten one all the way while the other is loose. Snug them both, then torque them to specs.

The middle screw is just snug. Sans bedding pillars, 40 in-lbs would be an approximate maximum. Snug the middle screw; then tighten the front screw to snug and then the back screw. Now, torque to appropriate torsion. With bedding pillars, you will likely want to tighten slightly more.

Yeah, I am with Mike, I snug that center screw to around 15 inch lb's, and 30 on the rear and 30 on the front of my wood stocked 70's without pillars. Sometimes it is worth trying different tq numbers on the other screws but a mild tq on the center seems to work the best for me.

Back