Winchester model 88 165 & 180 gn advice ?

manykids

Beginner
Jan 27, 2020
I'm working up loads for my model 88 using 165 gn Partition and 165 SST bullets. A thread here back in 2010 had recommendations for Varget, IMR 4350 and IMR 4064 as preferred powders, the Nosler and Hornady manuals have varying data as much as 2 grains for bullet weight, I understand bullet differences, construction, bearing surfaces, etc. I'm wondering if anybody has some data that has been accurate and with enough terminal velocity for good expansion. I have a supply of 180 gn bullets that I'd like to try as well but my model 88 has a 1 in 12 twist which might be too slow, Barnes recommends a 1 in 11 twist for their 180 TTSX.

Your twist would probably be fine for the Partition and SST bullets. Monumental bullets are usually longer than the same weight lead bullets.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm working up loads for my model 88 using 165 gn Partition and 165 SST bullets. A thread here back in 2010 had recommendations for Varget, IMR 4350 and IMR 4064 as preferred powders, the Nosler and Hornady manuals have varying data as much as 2 grains for bullet weight, I understand bullet differences, construction, bearing surfaces, etc. I'm wondering if anybody has some data that has been accurate and with enough terminal velocity for good expansion. I have a supply of 180 gn bullets that I'd like to try as well but my model 88 has a 1 in 12 twist which might be too slow, Barnes recommends a 1 in 11 twist for their 180 TTSX.
Hello,
I also have a model 88. My rifle likes 44 grains of Win 748 and the same charge using RL 15 with 165 Game kings and 165 GMX's. You could also try to experiment with bullet seating depths, charge weights, and primers. I would begin with changing one component at a time. Good luck, and hopefully this helps.
Doni

Back