Winter Projects

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
What'cha got coming up?

I have another McMillan on the way, should be at home when I'm done with this stint, so I need to buy a barreled action for it... Remington SPS-V, maybe .223, maybe .22-250, probably .308.

I have another McMillan on order, for my .243.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x on the way and a 6-24x that hopefully will come in at Cameraland before I head home again, for the 7WSM Coyote and M77VT .220 Swift, respectively. (Note to self: need 30mm rings for both)

I have a used Leupy 6x36 on the way, no idea what I'm mounting it on.

I want to put new triggers on a few rifles... Jewell in the .204, Timney in the 6mm Remington 788, Shilen in the .243 and '06.

Want to find an XCR II in .280 for a McMillan I already have.

I want to get some more scopes mounted that are sitting in my office... .358 Win; .300 WSM, RUM and RSAUM; Vanguard .223; Creedmoor. (Note to self: need RUM and RSAUM dies)

I don't know if I will get to it, but I would like to rebarrel one of my .270s to 6.5- or .338-06. Benchmark or PacNor tube, match factory contour or maybe a Mag Sporter contour with flutes..

I would like to spend some time figuring out what is going on with my '06 700. I would think I shouldn't have an 8" spread between bullet weights. Scope mounts? Bedding?

I want to figure out pillar bedding... I know the concept, but actually doing it is another matter. Or for that matter, regular glass bedding.

I want to give scope ring lapping a try.

I want to try to paint a cast-off SPS stock.

I want to actually shoot my .300 Savage 99 and .30 WCF M94. Some how they always get left behind in the safe. (Note to self: need .300 Savage dies)

It all sounds good, Kurt, except for the fact that your bore size will decrease yet again. Turn in your man card. :mrgreen:

But I still drive a Ford. Two of them, actually. :)

Hang onto the card, in that case. That'll compensate for your loss of calibre.

I want to work up some loads for my contender, and shoot a lot of handgun as funds will allow for ammo.

Long

Waiting on a DNZ mount and Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmaster for the Rem #7 in 325 WSM so I can start load development. I just sent in the 416 Rem to have it bedded. I need to learn how to do that. The 264 Win is still un-fired and un-scoped. I'm on the verge of hating my 223 WSSM. I want my 22-250 back.

Sounds like me. Too many ideas and thoughts but not enough time or money to complete everything. I guess that's why we don't live in a perfect world!

Most of my stuff is already paid for, at least the scopes and stocks. It's just getting free time when I'm at home to get it done!

Actually, I do have about $600 worth of triggers listed there, don't I?

Kurt,
You had to ask ...... at least I now have a list to work from.
Restock and retrigger my new to me 98 Mauser 257BobAI(includes bedding)
Have a Rem 700 22-6mmAI barreled action(27"Lilja 1in12 barrel) set back and rechambered to a 22-250AI - then stock it
Have PacNor install 280AI barrel and then I can finish the build
Decide what I'll build/install in a custom bastogne walnut stock(inletted for S/A 700) maybe a 260 with a 24" octagon barrel in a high polish blue
Mount scopes on all recent additions to the safe
Start load work ups for above plus a 7x57 and hope for some shooting weather
Makeover on an older Mod 70 338WM - New supergrade stock, Brockman/Tally pop up peep scopebase, barrel band front sight, Q/R rings with a new leupy(want this to be an express rifle)
Load 400 .204 rounds & 500 .223 rounds for early spring sage rat shoot
Build elevated shooting platform that sits on my F350 for sage rat shoot
New stock for the 6mm-284

Caveat - All the above subject to time and money constraints. I hope I'll still have time to shoot - that's why we do this - right??? :wink:
Scott

I've got quite a few projects too.

I have a #4 fluted McGowen in .30cal that will be a lighter version .30-8mm Mag in a High Tech stock. I also have a #5 McGowen incase the #4 doesn't shoot as well as I like. I'll chamber the #4 this weekend if I don't go elk hunting.

I have a #5 7mm McGowen that will be a 7mm-.300Win. also in a High Tech stock.

I have a #4 fluted Rock Creek .338 that I'm still up in the air on what to chamber it in. I have a .338 Baer reamer but I might do a .338 RUM. It will be in a High Tech stock too.

I have both Brux and Krieger heavy .338 barrels that I'll probably do a .338 Lapua Imp. with but I need to find a action unless I change my mind and do a .338 RUM or .338 Edge.

I have a .50 cal 28 twist Krieger barrel I'll probably build into a smokeless muzzleloader since I have 5 other BP muzzleloaders already.

I'm also doing a stubby 7-08 or 7BR (17" barrel) for a quick handling gun. I'll use it for a gun to carry on the handle bars of my motorcycle during bear season riding.

I have a couple other barrels I haven't decided what to do with yet and I'd like to build a .416 Rum to shoot the 370gr Cutting Edge bullets out of but I don't have a barrel for that yet. I do have a Krieger .30 Sendero contour barrel I've thought about doing a .30-.338 Lapua Imp. with on a Remington action. I bought a resizing reamer for it already to build my own FL dies.

If my buddy wants the 7STW I just built I'll have to find something to build in it's place as well.

I need to sight in and form brass for my .243AI. I bedded it and mounted the scope a few weeks ago so it should be ready for coyotes/wolves.

I'll probably dig out my .22BR for coyote duty this winter as well. I need to put a scope on it and get it sighted in.

I also need to shoot the new heavy barrel .308Win. I just bought to see if it's worth keeping.

I'm trying to keep my man card up to par so I'm working on the bigger calibers. I do drive the better trucks (GMC and Dodge :grin: ) so I'm good there.

Other than that it will be duck hunting time as soon as I get a elk dead. I did some trading for a Benelli SBE this summer and shot a few doves with it already but I'm looking forward to some duck shooting with it.

Most of my winter projects are load development, as I reassess what now exists. However, I have to work up loads for:

338 Federal

35 Whelen

9.3 X 64 Brenneke

6.5 Creedmoor

280 Remington (Remington LSS)

I'm verifying loads for:

300 WSM

280 Remington (Winchester Featherweight)

270 WSM

7mm WSM

I'm tweaking loads for:

257 Roberts

260 Remington

30-06

7mm Remington

Most of the work on my rifles is finished. Now, it is time to work at the bench.

And I still drive a Ford.

DrMike":10qm7yim said:
Most of my winter projects are load development, as I reassess what now exists. However, I have to work up loads for:

338 Federal

35 Whelen

9.3 X 64 Brenneke

6.5 Creedmoor

280 Remington (Remington LSS)

I'm verifying loads for:

300 WSM

280 Remington (Winchester Featherweight)

270 WSM

7mm WSM

I'm tweaking loads for:

257 Roberts

260 Remington

30-06

7mm Remington

Most of the work on my rifles is finished. Now, it is time to work at the bench.

And I still drive a Ford.

See, this is why I am here. Once Mike finishes his load work, I can politely ask, with my hat in my hand, what his loads are! He has been ever so excellent to provide me with stacks of data! I run my cartridge selection off of him, just to keep it easy!

In all fun, here are some things I have cooking.

264WM - a Minox 3x15 and load work for the 140gr AB

7x57 Mauser Featherweight - 3x9 Minox and load work

300WSM - scope and load work

45-70 - Minox 1.5x8 and load work with the 300gr PT and RL7

22-250 - scope and load work. Not sure what bullet just yet, but something coyote capable. Hoping the 60gr PT shoots as that is my first choice.

338WM - I MIGHT work with the 250 or 200gr AB's or the 210 PT's if I can snag any of them. I have an excellent load with the 250 PT but I am always on the search for something with that rifle... I wished 330 Dakota brass was easier to get, that would be a good one for the rifle!

I don't have a ton of work to do, as I did alot this past Summer, but it will keep me busy I am sure. All the rest are ready to hunt. Scotty

Wolves, I must go wolf and coyote hunting! I have a wolf tag so I am going to concentrate on it for the next month as season is open that long, and hopefully they will also extend it!! :grin: :lol:

Tweak my son's load for his 300 WSM. I am loading the 180 gr. AccuBond, but may try the Partition or E-tip also. Need more speed! (Although his cow will state otherwise!) Mike so what load should I try. Any others want to help? Using 68.0 of H4831SC right now, 2800 fps, but 3/4" group. PM me guys.

Hunt more coyotes and get out on the snowshoes.

Load up all my empty brass I have in 30-06, 25-06, and 6mm Remington. That way I don't have to rush on it when the end of summer comes around again in a few weeks, or at least that seems how fast time's been going by lately. Is it just me? :shock:

My list pales in comparison to some of the other ones! :shock: :mrgreen:
David

6mm Remington":2poz2qyq said:
Wolves, I must go wolf and coyote hunting! I have a wolf tag so I am going to concentrate on it for the next month as season is open that long, and hopefully they will also extend it!! :grin: :lol:

Tweak my son's load for his 300 WSM. I am loading the 180 gr. AccuBond, but may try the Partition or E-tip also. Need more speed! (Although his cow will state otherwise!) Mike so what load should I try. Any others want to help? Using 68.0 of H4831SC right now, 2800 fps, but 3/4" group. PM me guys.

Hunt more coyotes and get out on the snowshoes.

Load up all my empty brass I have in 30-06, 25-06, and 6mm Remington. That way I don't have to rush on it when the end of summer comes around again in a few weeks, or at least that seems how fast time's been going by lately. Is it just me? :shock:

My list pales in comparison to some of the other ones! :shock: :mrgreen:
David

I am going to bet once you get over the anti Alliant aversion, RL19 or RL17 will be your friends! Scotty

Got a Savage WW in 30/06 coming-in next week. Got to get a glass on it right away. I have Luepys, Redfields, Nikons and Vortex scopes on hand, so I guess I'll find one in there I like. I have several bullet weights in .308 Nosler partitions and a variety of powders, cases and primers, but NO ABs. So I'll get to the store and pick-up some 165s and 180s.

Not much else going-on here,

Jim

I need to get the VariX-III mounted on my 257 bob and verify the load that I have developed for it.

Get a load worked up for the:
Rem 700 30-06
Weatherby 300 bee
9mm self defense load

I also plan on building another 1911 sometime. i want one with a rail on it, so I'm gonna build another.

Well I have a few things on my to do list as well.

1. Develope a 140 Ab load for my Win M70 270 WSM.
2. Finish piecing parts together for my heavy 7 STW build, and develope loads (160 AB and 168 VLD).
3. Pillar bed 375R and rework 260 AB loads.
4. Rechamber savage .243 Win to 243 AI and develope loads (87gr V-Max or 105 A-max).
5. Build drop charts for 243 AI, 7 STW, & 270 WSM.
6. Shoot at least one coyote with every rifle in my safe :twisted:
7. Try to find time and $ to do any of this in between all the things that go along with baby #2 arriving in feb.

It's going to be a great winter!

ScreaminEagle":30635v2m said:
I need to get the VariX-III mounted on my 257 bob and verify the load that I have developed for it.

Get a load worked up for the:
Rem 700 30-06
Weatherby 300 bee
9mm self defense load

I also plan on building another 1911 sometime. i want one with a rail on it, so I'm gonna build another.

30-06: 57.4 grs IMR4350 with 165 gr. AccuBond or Partition. :mrgreen: (One done!)

BK":1ai20st9 said:
What'cha got coming up?

I have another McMillan on the way, should be at home when I'm done with this stint, so I need to buy a barreled action for it... Remington SPS-V, maybe .223, maybe .22-250, probably .308.

I want to figure out pillar bedding... I know the concept, but actually doing it is another matter. Or for that matter, regular glass bedding.

Dick's sporting goods just had ADL Varmiters in camo dipped plastic stocks with Remington 4x12 scopes for 450.00 less 50.00 rebate last week. I bought a few :lol:

Pillar bedding is rather easy. Basically you have to enlarge the screw holes in the stock to accept the pillars plus some for bedding compound. Put release agent on everything (and I mean everything. Even the things you think dont need it), screw the pillars to the barreled action, put bedding compound in the holes and on the pillars, drop it in the stock, and tape the barreled action to the stock. I usually tape off the stock everywhere to keep the bedding off the stock. You might have to shim the barreled to get the pillars to sit the correct depth for a floor plate/trigger guard. Clean all the excess bedding compound off and let it dry. Then take it apart and clean up what you have to with a dremel or similar tool. Leave the tape on the stock and proceed to bedding the rest of the gun. Some will do it in one process but for me it's easier in two.

Once you have the pillars it's actually easier to bed the gun. You can dam up the barrel channel with modeling clay as well as fill the trigger area, action holes, etc. I use tape on the barrel to stop where the bedding contacts the barrel. I also tape off the sides, bottom, and front of the recoil lug. That makes it easier to get it in and out of the stock later. I usually let it set up for a few hours (until the bedding starts to get stiff but is still flexible) and then remove the barreled action. It's easier to trim and clean the bedding before it get's hard. Depending on the stock it sometimes helps to drill small holes for the bedding to grab a hold of. If you pull the barreled action too early it can pull the bedding up without the holes. This happens with the plastic stocks often. They are too slick to adhere to.

Back