Working on a .243 Win

snoodcrusher

Beginner
May 8, 2015
99baa6d768b926cac0f89e558e668ad8.jpg

I just put together a Rem 700 BDL .243 Win. I dropped it into an HS Precision tan and black stock, bedded the action and recoil lug, and worked on the trigger. I topped it with a Leupold VX-2
6x18 CDS w/ wind plex reticle. I've got numerous powders and brass on hand but I only had a box of Hornady SST 95 gr. Not my favorite bullets for sure but I couldn't wait to shoot it so I loaded a few different recipes with Hornady brass and CCI 200 primers, and 46.5, 47, and 47.5grs of H 1000. The 46.5 loads printed 1" 3 shot groups and the 47 gr loads printed 1.5"+ groups. Not expecting anything impressive, I shot a group with the 47.5 gr loads. To my surprise, the 47.5 gr load with a c.o.a.l of 2.655" put three bullets in the same hole with a group of 0.238". Promising for sure. I look forward to trying a few other bullets with better ballistic coefficients. I'm headed to the 800 yd range tomorrow to see how well it does against my .260 Rem and two .308 Wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you have found a sweet spot on charge weight. Guessing all the listed charges are 'fortys' and not 'sixths' ... That would be some compression!!

Promising? That is somewhat beyond promising! Fine group to make the most jaded gun crank proud. Excellent. Makes me want to get out my .243 and do some work.

That is some very fine marksmanship to say the least (y). I believe have found the sweet spot for sure :wink:.
Thank you for posting.

Blessings,
Dan

frankm":gziipucs said:
Sounds like you have found a sweet spot on charge weight. Guessing all the listed charges are 'fortys' and not 'sixths' ... That would be some compression!!

Yes you are correct !!!! Sorry for the error. It's been one of those days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Impressive group for sure and some fine shooting. I have a friend who uses a .243 as his go to deer rifle and he uses the Nosler 95gr BT. It's very accurate in his rifle and on game performance has been excellent for him.

Other than a few wind call errors, I was busting targets and rocks out to 800 yds today with the same 243 that shot the above group. I'm really enjoying this little gun right now. I seem to have favorites and at the present time it's the one. I stopped at Cabelas on the way and picked up a box of 105 gr Amax w/ b.c. of .500. I'll load some up and try them next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've shot just lots of varmints, deer and exotics with the 6mms! Great rounds. I used the 6x47mm ( 222 magnum necked up) .243s, 6mm Remington, 6mmx284, .240 Weatherby and 6mm Bullberry ( 30-30 Improved necked down to 6mm) I really liked the 85 xbt back then. I also used the 65Vmax, the 90BT and the 90X. I also shot the 95BT in the 240W. I too consider the 243 and such as "expert rifles"...even though lots of kids/women use them. I like a really accurate rifle then I can "finesse the shot". ( Eyeball at 110 on Fallo deer, for example! :)

Back