Ziess HD5 2x10x42 Reticle? (Update)

Zeiss seems to have a real winner with the HD-5 series scopes. I certainly like my two RS 600 scopes on both my .270 and the 7mm Rem Mag. Zeiss really nailed the needs of the average hunter with this scope and the reticle designs as well.

I also mounted and adjusted the Leica 2.5-10x42 ED scope yesterday. They (Leica) did not supply me with the 1.3 mm Allan wrench which they promised and fortunately I found one in another box or I would be SOL by not being able to adjust the turrets back when they hit their stops at the end of 2 dial rotations. I was able to figure this out easily enough and have backed up the elevation turret to cover the extra area that I needed in order to zero the scope. Piece of cake and slick design feature on these turrets.

It is going to be some work on my part to design a definitive test that will describe both the HD-5 Zeiss and the ED Leica features and qualities. Plus, comparing these to all of the other great scopes which I have will be a challenge. I will conjure something up to try and make these tests fair and descriptive of these scopes in the next few days. I hope that I can do justice to both of these maker's products?

Great info Charlie. Looking forward to your test, no matter what it ends up being.

That is Zeiss' version of the Varmint reticle. It is a little busy but the price is right and you still can use the other features of the scope. The HD-5 is a very capable scope.

Oldtrader3":1twoqqoq said:
That is Zeiss' version of the Varmint reticle. It is a little busy but the price is right and you still can use the other features of the scope. The HD-5 is a very capable scope.

This particular reticle is actually Zeiss' "Z-1000", designed specifically around the ballistics of the .308 for use in 1000 yd matches. Zeiss "Varmint Z" reticle is laid out like their Rapid Z-600 reticle, but uses thinner crosshairs and hashes, and the hold-over hashes are optimized for the fast and flat cartridges like the .204 Ruger, 22-250, etc...

I apologize for taking so long, my motorcycle knee (4 spiral fractures) from 25 years ago is giving me fits and I see the doc for it this week. Plus the weather is getting better here, finally, and when the sun comes out I will start testing.

Nice scope Lou.
Looking forward to seeing your test results Charlie.

JD338

Back