30-06 165BT

boomer68

Handloader
Oct 23, 2006
Got a chance to run this load over the chrono and pretty decent results.

165gr BT
55grs IMR-4350
3.320"
WLR primer
R-P case

3 shots
Avg - 2774
Hi - 2781
Lo - 2766
ES - 15
SD - 7

Wondering if I should move up in charge?

Attachments

• PMaKKY1.jpg
    PMaKKY1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,161
Maybe? If you'd like. Otherwise that load will do just peachy.

Regards, Guy

The load reveals some great technique (reproducible). And it is plenty accurate. You can increase the charge, but there is no guarantee that you'll get any better accuracy. And there is more than enough velocity to take most any game in AB. I do love tight SD on a load.

I wouldn’t change a thing. I love the 06 and yours is doing everything it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it the way it is. Very nice shooting, very nice group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up to you, I'd want to try it only for curiosity, but as others have stated that is more than stout enough on both accuracy and speed already. Based on those 1" squares the group looks easy under an inch.

57 gr's of IMR 4350 with 165's is the old stand by load and also happens to be the sweet spot for my 06 with that weight bullet. But that doesn't mean yours will be of course. IMR 4350 produces the kind of accuracy with 165 and 180 weights that you can almost pick a charge weight out of the book ahead of time and be happy right out the gate. It's a bread and butter combo as you've proved once again.

Thanks for the responses. As suggested, I'll stick with this load.

(y)

I think that's a good call.

I run that bullet a little hotter, via H4350, up to 2940 - 2970 fps, but... I doubt it's any more effective at those velocities.

Guy

Boomer,
That group will harvest any deer at 100 yards. Your group is good. In my experience, shooter error greatly contributes to inaccuracy. I run the same powder charge in my 1903 a3 and my gun loves it. According to the Nosler data, your charge is the middle of the road. If it is not broke why would you fix it?
Doni

Any 165 in the neighborhood of 2800 is "Classic". Enjoy your load and post pics of your deer this season, you will slay them! :) ( I once shot an axis buck at 230 steps with a little 308 Mod 70 Fwt and the 165BT. It might have been going 2600 at the muzzle, but it made a golf ball sized hole all the way through Mr Chital! That Axis was the size of a good mule deer. IOW, that 165NBT is just an awesome bullet! Have a ball pard!

My go to powder with the 165s has been IMR 4064 (mostly for nostalgia as that is what my Dad used to load up for me) but I see your result and I think I’ll try out your load. As witnessed by some pretty atrocious results I’ve posted on this forum, this old fart feels that a hunting rifle that will group an inch is plenty good to take afield.
Using the 165 BT right around 2700 resulted in dead deer for me.

If I were to change anything on your load, it would only be out of curiosity as I don’t see much to gain by moving that bullet any faster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fifty-six gr. of W760 and the Nosler 165 gr. AccuBond does 2880 FPS in my 24" 30-06 Mauser. Nice tight groups and the one elk I shot with it ram maybe 30-40 feet and died. Granted, one elk doesn't prove much but it worked. Bullet did not exit but we didn't find it.
Paul B.

Great load. An extra 100 fps really isn't going to make a difference. Good call to stay with that load.

JD338

Back