Pulling shots or not?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
So, I noticed an interesting occurrence with my shooting..When I "pull" a shot it is almost always 1" low and 1" left..Being so consistent it has me wondering if in fact I'm actually pulling the shots or not..I think that I might be changing my check weld or finger position slightly....

Attachments

• 20170918_143920 (2).jpg
    20170918_143920 (2).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 962
No answers for you, but at least you are consistent. Mine might go anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another important thing about optics, while you sink your cheek in the stock ready to shoot, nod your head slightly and if the target moves, then your parallax is off. Parallax is also a common issue.

How many firing on the brass?

Is the stock bedded?

There could be little different things that causes that. Sometimes its just the shooter.

TackDriver284":1vl7hafm said:
Another important thing about optics, while you sink your cheek in the stock ready to shoot, nod your head slightly and if the target moves, then your parallax is off. Parallax is also a common issue.

How many firing on the brass?

Is the stock bedded?

There could be little different things that causes that. Sometimes its just the shooter.

G'Day Fella's,

+1
Homer

Are you staying on the rifle, or stopping to reload? Could the barrel be getting warm? Are you shooting a continuous string? Do you look through your spotting scope after three shots? Just some ideas from an old man.

Now that you have brought it up it seems that when I pull a shot it usually does go low left. I guess when you PULL the trigger instead of SQUEEZE it in a straight reward movement it causes the shot to go low left for a right hander. I teach pistol shooting and little things really show up with a pistol that is not always drastically showing up with a rifle. Where you place your finger on the trigger on a pistol will drastically effect where the bullet goes. Too much finger on the trigger will cause you to pull the shots to the right and too little finger on the trigger will cause you to push the shots left.

Thing is, it's not just the one rifle. It happens with most of my rifles..It's pretty rare, maybe every 40 shots, give or take, but always goes low/left, about an inch each way...I usually shoot alone, so I'm thinking about videoing myself shoot, and hopefully identify whatever it is. I'm pretty sure it's just a lapse in concentration, and I change my check weld, finger position, trigger pull or something...But at least I'm consistently inconsistent!
:lol:

Just wondering if you're 'Dragging Wood' ? The cushion portion of the second joint of your trigger finger making contact with the stock. Depending on the trigger contact with the fore part of your trigger finger, you may be nudging the rifle off w/o realizing it.

As good a guess as any w/o being there and seeing what's going on.

Went yesterday with the 204 Ruger and shot 60 times and it didn't happen. I guess because I was so concentrated on exactly what I was doing so I could remember what was different if one went wrong, that I didn't repeat the cause...1Shot, I think you are on to something with finger placement..A few times yesterday I caught myself letting my thumb just "lay" on the tang rather than applying a little pressure to the tang. I don't know why, but if I put a tiny bit of thumb pressure on the tang, my trigger finger pulls much more smooth. Need a kinesiologist to weigh in..

Back