Stuck case help

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Well, after many years lighting has struck. Not sure what happened, must have missed lube or gotten some grit on a case or something. Military 30-06 brass fired in an M1 Garand, stuck in a Redding FL die, fully inserted. Rim has pulled free from shellholder and is deformed beyond service but case head is still intact with no signs of tearing or separation.

Die body and case are currently soaking in penetrating oil. I'm fairly well stocked with tools including a heavy bench vice, standard and metric tap set and old drill bits to convert to punches. Have removed the spindle from the die, decapping pin and expander are still in the case moving freely. I have some ideas, but would like to know first from the "been there done that" crowd.

Divernhunter":21ymwj2l said:
I just use the RCBS stuck case remover to remove any stuck cases. Easy to use and not messy
If you load long enough, it's bound to happen.
RCBS stuck case kit will get you back running.

JD338

First take apart the die and clamp it upside down in a vise. Then take a drill and open up the primer pocket and run a tap down through it. (for a bolt 1 1/2 in long or so ). then i take a socket the same size as the outside edge of the die and place it on top. a couple of flat washers (larger than the back end of the socket) on top of the socket. Then i run the bolt through the hole in the flat washers and screw it into the case.as you turn the bolt you are pulling the case back towards you. it is much simpler than it sounds.

I think this is something most of us have done at least once, if you've been reloading very long. Elkman's method works just as good as buying the stuck case remover.

elkman's method is what I used and I works very good, but I've been pondering another idea: A little hard to explain, but Ill give it a shot..Drill and tap the case head/flash hole and screw in a threaded rod. Now Slide a LARGE socket,( or something heavy with a hole in it) on the threaded rod and then a flat washer and nut on the end of the rod to keep the socket from coming off, then use the socket like a slide hammer.

I have often wondered if heating the die up a little might help. Never tried it just thought about it.

Elk man, it would if you could keep the heat from transferring to the cartridge case to quickly.

Thanks guys. I have the tooling needed to do the "Elkman" method. Was also wondering, if simply hammering the case out with a punch might work? I have removed the spindle and have room to insert a punch to the case web, or should I try the D/T and back out method first?

As for heat, I would think if the case were kept irrigated with cold water while the die body relatively dry, it should create a pretty good heat/expansion gradient. Will experiment if cold work is unsuccessful.

The issue with hammering is that if the case comes out its great, if it separates its not so great. It would be much faster, for sure.

I have had people try the heat thing. Then they brought it over to me and I removed it with my RCBS stuck case remover.

Divernhunter":2mnoyimc said:
I have had people try the heat thing. Then they brought it over to me and I removed it with my RCBS stuck case remover.

I did the DYI and justheads up, you’ll need hardened steel. I snapped a softer one then had to clear the threads..
Eventually got the RCBS kit. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update on this project. Tried an RCBS kit borrowed from a fellow shooter, and that failed. Bolt stripped the threads tapped in the case. Tapped case to a larger size, used a Gr8 bolt with a socket/washer spacer, also stripped. Tapped one size larger, also stripped. Final attempt with a lag bolt and JB80, this also stripped out. As a hail mary, as there was no case left to tap, I tried a large vice grips on what was left of the case head with significant heat, and succeeded only in tearing off the rest of the case.

Looked at my brass again, and there was one other case in my block, HXP military 30-06 that somebody at my range converted into some sort of .338 or 8mm-06 improved and left on the range that I missed on cursory inspection. It also looks like it was fired with a REALLY hot load. Guessing my stuck case was also one of these and was accidentally picked up when finding the cases ejected by my M1. Who knew I'd have to look for that, but I sure as hell will going forward!

New dies are on order.

WOW, that is the worst one I have ever heard about. Too bad, hopefully it will go better from here on.

Actually, send it to RCBS.

They unstuck a case and polished it for me.

And I stripped it out trying to get it out.

mjcmichigan":3o1smc53 said:
Actually, send it to RCBS.

They unstuck a case and polished it for me.

And I stripped it out trying to get it out.

Already spent more labor on this than it was worth. I've replaced the die already.

Back