Why isn't there a 7mm 160 grn BT?

Tim1

Beginner
Feb 18, 2020
Gents,

I'm curious why Nosler doesn't produce a 7mm 160 grn BT when it produces the 160 grn AB. You would have thought it would be easy enough change to the manufacturing process to switch from one to another.

I have started shooting 150 grn BTs in my Rem Mag but although the deer probably wouldn't know the difference, my preference would be to shoot a 160 grn bullet. I don't want to start using the 160 grn AB as I don't consider a bonded bullet is warranted for deer and in any event the cost of them in Great Britain is frightening.

Does anyone have any ideas as to Nosler's reasoning?

Thanks and regards,

Tim

It’s my understanding that Nosler doesn’t make a bullet that closely replicates another bullet’s performance in the same weight. Same reason they don’t make a 7mm 120 grain AccuBond, the existing 120 BT provides nearly identical performance.

Welcome to the forum Tim.

I can't say why they don't offer a 7 mm 160 gr BT but I do remember gun writer Steve Timm saying that years ago he was once given a large amount of prototype 160 gr BT bullets by some friends that worked for Nosler that he used for quite a while. It looks like they have experimented with it but it never made it into production.

I’d love to a plain old 175 Ballistic Tip myself.

It’d be hard to compete with a 162 ELD or the other dozen bullets in that range right now though.

The almighty sales would be my answer.

They study this stuff because ultimately it's all about the dolla bills.

I used to know (was in the industry) but as an observer today it seems to me the #1 grain weight sold for 7mm...yes even the magnums...is 140 gr.

The ones reaching for the heavier loads (160) are primarily going after large and or dangerous game.

They probably concluded that if you had a box of regular BT on the shelf in 160 and a box of Partition 160, and a box of AccuBond in 160.... the regular 160 BT would get the least attention. Just an opinion

pharmseller":7rq5reai said:
It’s my understanding that Nosler doesn’t make a bullet that closely replicates another bullet’s performance in the same weight. Same reason they don’t make a 7mm 120 grain AccuBond, the existing 120 BT provides nearly identical performance.

I don't agree.

Just look at the 30 cal lineup in AccuBond.

They have every weight (minus a 168) in both BT and AB.

I believe again that they've concluded this...

120 gr. In 7mm isn't a popular selection.

300WSM":32md1l4m said:
pharmseller":32md1l4m said:

I don't agree.

Do you mean 160gr? I'm confused by you logic leap...

PipesMac":2msofy2m said:
300WSM":2msofy2m said:
pharmseller":2msofy2m said:

I don't agree.

Do you mean 160gr? I'm confused by you logic leap...
The post i replied to suggested nosler doesn't like duplication citing a 120gr. Example.

I said look at 30 cal...duplication everywhere.

Its all about the dolla bills.

Yup - they make what sells.

Hornady is a fine example of this. The "old" Hornady offered a bunch of bullets that some folks really liked. They're gone. Done. Probably never to be seen again.

They've been replaced with some new bullets that are selling like hotcakes. Sleek, high-BC ELD bullets, some of which require a fast twist... Very different from the old Interlocks, and the old round-nose bullets Hornady churned out for decades. And, they're good bullets. They're what's selling now.

I think Nosler is on that same path, producing the bullets that sell reliably and well.

Why not? The job of business is to make money. That said, a 7mm, 160 gr Ballistic Tip would likely be an excellent bullet. I've got a couple of boxes of 160 gr Nosler Partitions, so I doubt I'd buy the BT's though.

Guy

When I was in the industry 140gr ruled the 7mm world.
7 odd 8, 280, the 7 mags...hell even the STW was loaded with 140's more than any other weight. Wasn't even close.

The thinking is if someone needs a heavier hammer odds are they're going after heavier game. (Heavier than whitetail) The AccuBond and Partition have that covered well with the 160 as the only real 160gr candidates out of this lineup is the 7 mags including the STW.

30 cal on the other hand has a much broader lineup and a cartridge for every grain offered that fits perfect in some way, shape or form

Everything can be done with the AB so really there is no need for the BT.

FOTIS":34q1bl2b said:

Exactly. And if you can stock up on seconds when they go on sale, you can buy them for the price of BT's. You can practice with your hunting load and not worry about the price.

JD338

JD338":17oijxac said:
FOTIS":17oijxac said:

Exactly. And if you can stock up on seconds when they go on sale, you can buy them for the price of BT's. You can practice with your hunting load and not worry about the price.

JD338

Shooters Pro Shop wants $30 per bag of 50 for seconds. This isn’t off factory firsts by much. Then add $13 to ship and you’re really close to parity.

P

pharmseller":1cwb8o6u said:
JD338":1cwb8o6u said:
FOTIS":1cwb8o6u said:

JD338

Shooters Pro Shop wants $30 per bag of 50 for seconds. This isn’t off factory firsts by much. Then add $13 to ship and you’re really close to parity.
P

That's why I wait for the sales and stock up on a few bags

JD338

I get that, but some items, 160 AB among them, are hard to find, much less available on sale. I tend to buy 500 at minimum.

P

Thanks for your comments Gents.

I would agree that the lack of a 160 grn BT is most likely a sales related issue although I would have thought that a 160 grn BT would be a big seller as well. A box of standard 160 AB is £54 over here and unlike you Chaps, unfortunately we don't have access to factory seconds or any other sales. 150 BTs are bad enough at about £39 a box. Bullets are always sold at top whack.

Tim

Tim1":8gmjwc5q said:

I would agree that the lack of a 160 grn BT is most likely a sales related issue although I would have thought that a 160 grn BT would be a big seller as well. A box of standard 160 AB is £54 over here and unlike you Chaps, unfortunately we don't have access to factory seconds or any other sales. 150 BTs are bad enough at about £39 a box. Bullets are always sold at top whack.

Tim

I wgat do you hunt over there?

Hornady catalogs 5 current 162gr 7mm bullets. The Interlock and ELDX would work great. Not sure if they are available for you.

300WSM":2med3fpg said:
Tim1":2med3fpg said:

Tim

I wgat do you hunt over there?

Principally roe followed by fallow with the occasional red when an opportunity presents itself.

Tim

Back