Unsettling frame of mind

maverick2

Handloader
Dec 22, 2013
I find myself in an uncomfortable position today. I woke up this morning CONVINCED I should sell one of my rifles in order to fund a new scope. I've got a perfectly good Sako .375 H&H that I love -- very accurate and it shoulders for me better than any other rifle I own. Unfortunately, last night as I was putting rifles away from deer hunting over the weekend, I saw that H&H sitting there in the corner of the safe and realized I hadn't taken it out to hunt in 5+ years, always passing it over for a sentimental favorite better suited for the game I have access to now since we've moved. Worse yet, as I looked at my 10-yr old hunting partner (daughter) it dawned on me that this situation is unlikely to change for another 8+ yrs. I was already in a quandary as to why the scope on my sentimental favorite seems so dim now to my 53-yr old eyes, and then it hit me -- why not sell the H&H and buy a nice Meopta R2 to sit atop old reliable? I have no idea where that wild-assed idea came from, but just like that -- BAM!!! this crazy, deviant thought is staring me square in the face!!! (No remorse, no second thoughts, no warning?!?!?) I immediately shook it off, thinking I got chilled or something during the day, but there it was again this morning, like voices speaking to me from the gun safe. I'm sure at some level it makes sense, but I've never stooped to that level before, and it's scaring me. I don't know whether to chalk it up to work stress, the impending holidays, or if I'm ill. Worse, do I have to worry about this type of behavior snowballing? Should I seek counseling? Is this the first step down that slippery slope -- sell one rifle today, a shotgun tomorrow, one of the boats next week, and then next month I find myself trying on skirts and playing golf? I don't have a good feeling about this. Ideas?

That's just crazy talk....everyone needs a .375. You never know when you'll have to TKO a genetically engineered dinosaur or kill a rampaging circus elephant that gets loose.

You must have a fever.... down 3 fingers of your favorite grown man beverage and go straight to bed and read your favorite Africa or Alaska hunting literature.

Repeat as required.

Everybody knows you should sell the mousegun and get a .416 caliber. ;)

Sell the .375 and you'll be asked to back up a bow hunter on a brown bear archery hunt or archery cape buffalo. Likely your daughter.

Either that or she will have an unstoppable boyfriend in need of the extra oomph.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

hodgeman":ayau7y0y said:
That's just crazy talk....everyone needs a .375. You never know when you'll have to TKO a genetically engineered dinosaur or kill a rampaging circus elephant that gets loose.

You must have a fever.... down 3 fingers of your favorite grown man beverage and go straight to bed and read your favorite Africa or Alaska hunting literature.

Repeat as required.

AND...... Just in case send me the 375 for safe keeping until the feeling passes. CL

hodgeman":14z8wb0i said:

Repeat as required.

I recommend this prescription. It always seems to work for me!

Good luck -

Dale

You need another rifle buddy that's crazy talk besides that 375 is fine deer medicine as well. Guy uses his on those dangerous charging rock chucks ask him he'll convince you to keep her around.

Assuredly an unsettling state of mind. Hopefully it will pass soon. Take that .375 out and shoot it. Find a rock chuck, a rabbit or even a stump that needs some reshaping. If necessary, I'll hold that rifle for you until you are in a proper state of mind once more. That's what we are here for.

Since its a Sako.....hold onto it! ha Is it the Fiberglass stocked or the Safari model? If I had the moolah I'd buy a Sako Safari 375 H&H just because (a) they look awesome! (b) they fit me like an expensive custom! ha. No joke, sell something else for a scope, but that Sako will make a fine heirloom for your baby girl someday. Just saying....I too recommend the "3 fingers of warm milk ( its also an adult beverage!) and go to bed, but read John Taylor's writings about the 375 H&H...he practically swoons when he writes about it, ha.

There's something to be said about having a stash of scopes, just in case, ya know.

And to sell a Sako 375 H&H to buy a scope .... REALLY???? .... never!

All the best,

Honestly with all of the good "Black Friday-esque" sales going on these days and the great layaway plans available at most Sportsman Retail Outlets, you should be able to keep the old "Ouch&Ouch" and put a new scope on layaway for "Old Reliable."

Good luck -

Dale

Thank you gentlemen for the feedback. (Unfortunately, it didn't take.) Sat on the idea for a bit, went out and shot the rifle some more, ruminated for a week, and I'm still of the same opinion -- sell the .375 H&H. On the plus side though, I think I've come up with a plan to allow me to walk around with my head held high, and not slink around with the golf crowd. The rifle that I now take hunting over the .375 H&H, is my Dad's 30-06 -- he had it built by a friend of ours a number of years ago using a Mauser action and Mannlicher style stock. It's a good looking gun with a lot of memories, and tough for me to NOT take along. I've already got one .30 caliber rifle though (Savage 99 in .308) and selling the .375 would leave me w/o anything bigger than a .30 cal, so I'm thinking I might swap barrels and turn the '06 into a 9.3x62 Mauser. From the little I've read, that doesn't appear to be a difficult change, and the 9.3x62 seems to offer a lot of versatility for a larger caliber. Have any of you made this swap? Any recommendations along this line?

No shame in selling/trading any rifle pard, that's your choice and life is too short. :) I have sold/traded gobs and gobs of rifles/handguns through the years, and I love all the experience I got! I have had 3 9.3x62s. My first was an experience because back in the 90's 9.3x62 barrels and rifles were rare here. My smith rebarreled my Mod 70 Featherweight 30.06 with a new Walther Lothar ( it was not a Krieger, that was my later .404) barrel, which worked just fine. I gave it to my Youth Minister ( who also had previously only used a 30-06 on elk.) He killed a huge spike that fall with the handloads I gave him, the Nosler 286PT. My next was a CZ 550FS ( short mannlicher) I actually bought for my Marine son in law when he was deployed his first tour in Iraq. ( He is of german descent) I had it all set up for him upon his return. He killed a big 300# feral hog at 20 steps with the factory Barnes 286 TSX. It was a hammer! My 3rd came in 2012 and was 'just for me", a Ruger 77 African I was going to use on a hog hunt up on the Michigan UP. It had excessive headspace, gave me too many misfires with factory ammo and since I was pressed for time, sold it and just used my "be all to end all, wonderful, awesome, Old Friend" Mod 700 Classic in 35 Whelen Ackley Improved with the 310gr Woodleigh SN. Perfection. If I had not been "spoiled" by this rifle way back in the 90's, I would have worked with that Ruger. As it is, I am so fond of my Whelen all others take a back seat, especially now I'm crowding 63, ha. All this is to say I can "highly recommend" a rebarrel OR, send the barreled action to JES and just have it rebored/rechambered to 9.3x62! ( or 35 Whelen, 338/06, 35 Whelen Ackley he can do all those!) You will end up with a new caliber but in an old friend and heirloom! Actually a 9.3x62 in your Mauser would be Old World Nostalgic and wonderful, ( the 9.3x62 has a great reputation!) and is even legal for Cape Buffalo in most, if not all of Africa. Gosh, I'm glad when I get a good idea! ha. It will save you bookoo money also! Check it out pard, and have a ball!

Maverick,

I had a 06 re-bored to 9.3 I love it. JES did the work and you don't have to set back the barrel either. It's hard to complain when it shoots like this.

Jake

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 2,429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 2,429
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 2,429
There ya go pard! I am a Believer in a proper rebore/rechamber as opposed to rebarreling. especially in an old, favorite rifle.

I think you need a double shot therapy of Woodford Reserve for starters.
Then go stock up on .375 Accubonds and Partitions. You will then want to keep the Sako 375.

Go to your local optics outlet and buy the scope you want and you will be fine in the morning. You may have a slight relapse in 30 days when the credit card bill comes in the mail. Have a double of Woodford Reserve and write the check. Done and over. Have another Woodford Reserve and enjoy.

JD338

JD338":356t4imd said:
I think you need a double shot therapy of Woodford Reserve for starters.
Then go stock up on .375 Accubonds and Partitions. You will then want to keep the Sako 375.

Go to your local optics outlet and buy the scope you want and you will be fine in the morning. You may have a slight relapse in 30 days when the credit card bill comes in the mail. Have a double of Woodford Reserve and write the check. Done and over. Have another Woodford Reserve and enjoy.

JD338

Wow! Sounds like the voice of experience, Jim! :mrgreen: The relapse just keeps happening with me, and I just keep on picking up some new toy. (y)

NVB -- That's a very nice shooting rifle! Are you shooting the lighter bullets (232 - 250 gr options) or heavier bullet options (250-286 gr)? What did you end up going with for barrel twist? I'm seeing stuff all over the map -- as fast as 1 rev in 10", to as slow as 1 rev in 19".

As appealing as re-boring the existing barrel is, I suspect that's not an option. (The existing '06 barrel is a pretty thin profile -- but will double check with a couple good local gunsmiths.) Currently looking at the Lothar Walther barrel options, but am open to suggestion.

not sure what other rifles you own, but if it's the one that shoulders the best you have to keep it and the ones with sentimental value.

if you have some smaller "stock" rifles sell one of them. I figure you can always use a 375 on a groundhog, but not advisable to try a 223 on a grizzly.

Maverick2

Sir

It would not be a hard conversation at all, it is nice that the original rifle is built with a Mauser acton.

I should mention that although some countries do not require a minimum caliber and/or Joules to hunt Buffalo, some do. The minimum being the 375 H & H, however the 9.3 x 64 is grandfathered in, in most countries and acceptable as an adequate replacement to the 375 H & H.

The 9.3 x 62 is a very nice caliber but I personally prefer the 64 over the 62. It will cost more to convert to a 64 and reloading is also more costly but the 64 will give you the ability to hunt Buffalo in all the African nations as well as the Grizzly in Alaska and Canada.

My parents have a friend at LEL that they helped with a conversion of a rifle to a 9.3 x 64 and he loves it.

Just a thought and some info, please excuse the intrusion

Best Regards

Jamila

Back