Unsettling frame of mind

Africa Huntress":17893wj6 said:
Maverick2

Sir

It would not be a hard conversation at all, it is nice that the original rifle is built with a Mauser acton.

I should mention that although some countries do not require a minimum caliber and/or Joules to hunt Buffalo, some do. The minimum being the 375 H & H, however the 9.3 x 64 is grandfathered in, in most countries and acceptable as an adequate replacement to the 375 H & H.

The 9.3 x 62 is a very nice caliber but I personally prefer the 64 over the 62. It will cost more to convert to a 64 and reloading is also more costly but the 64 will give you the ability to hunt Buffalo in all the African nations as well as the Grizzly in Alaska and Canada.

My parents have a friend at LEL that they helped with a conversion of a rifle to a 9.3 x 64 and he loves it.

Just a thought and some info, please excuse the intrusion

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila,

Your opinion is appreciated you have a lot of knowledge and experience in these matters.

Jake

nvbroncrider":15zuj5ia said:
Africa Huntress":15zuj5ia said:
Maverick2

Sir

It would not be a hard conversation at all, it is nice that the original rifle is built with a Mauser acton.

I should mention that although some countries do not require a minimum caliber and/or Joules to hunt Buffalo, some do. The minimum being the 375 H & H, however the 9.3 x 64 is grandfathered in, in most countries and acceptable as an adequate replacement to the 375 H & H.

The 9.3 x 62 is a very nice caliber but I personally prefer the 64 over the 62. It will cost more to convert to a 64 and reloading is also more costly but the 64 will give you the ability to hunt Buffalo in all the African nations as well as the Grizzly in Alaska and Canada.

My parents have a friend at LEL that they helped with a conversion of a rifle to a 9.3 x 64 and he loves it.

Just a thought and some info, please excuse the intrusion

Best Regards

Jamila

Jamila,

Your opinion is appreciated you have a lot of knowledge and experience in these matters.

Jake
I concur with Jake, Jamila.
You're always welcome here. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The too thin barrel contour (or iron sight screw holes on factory barrels) has kept me from having rebores on several rifles. it just gave me an excuse to rebarrel, ha. I've only had one Walther Lothar barrel; my first 9.3x62 ( in the mid-90's). I have used more Shilen barrels than any, but I have used many from Adams & Bennett ( from Midway, $90!) to more expensive brands with factory take offs in between. Your choices for a 9.3 bore are many now, compared to my search in the 90's. My smith made up a rifle for a customer in the 9.3x64 and it is a hoss, but components will be a challenge. It wouldn't be difficult for a good smith to rebarrel your Mauser with a tad heavier barrel BUT, will it handle the same for you? You "could" end up with a rifle that feels like a stranger to you, just saying. If its a favorite...might want to leave it alone. :) A really sweet 9.3x62 to consider is the CZ 550 Composite, has a 20" barrel like the FS. If Old World is your bag, the 550 FS I gave my SIL is a sweetheart and a Mannlicher.

One Last suggestion...your 30-06 with the Woodleigh 240 sn going 2400fps will keep your head up very high indeed! I have shot them in several 30-06 ( 10" twists) the bullet is made for the 30-06 speeds. It won't allow you to hunt buffalo or elephant in Africa, but nothing on our continent could stand it! Something to consider!

preacher":3pplnn1g said:
The too thin barrel contour (or iron sight screw holes on factory barrels) has kept me from having rebores on several rifles. it just gave me an excuse to rebarrel, ha. I've only had one Walther Lothar barrel; my first 9.3x62 ( in the mid-90's). I have used more Shilen barrels than any, but I have used many from Adams & Bennett ( from Midway, $90!) to more expensive brands with factory take offs in between. Your choices for a 9.3 bore are many now, compared to my search in the 90's. My smith made up a rifle for a customer in the 9.3x64 and it is a hoss, but components will be a challenge. It wouldn't be difficult for a good smith to rebarrel your Mauser with a tad heavier barrel BUT, will it handle the same for you? You "could" end up with a rifle that feels like a stranger to you, just saying. If its a favorite...might want to leave it alone. :) A really sweet 9.3x62 to consider is the CZ 550 Composite, has a 20" barrel like the FS. If Old World is your bag, the 550 FS I gave my SIL is a sweetheart and a Mannlicher.

One Last suggestion...your 30-06 with the Woodleigh 240 sn going 2400fps will keep your head up very high indeed! I have shot them in several 30-06 ( 10" twists) the bullet is made for the 30-06 speeds. It won't allow you to hunt buffalo or elephant in Africa, but nothing on our continent could stand it! Something to consider!

I am also a fan of the Brenneke 9.3 x 64, but there are certainly no flies on the 62. You currently have a 375 that you want to get rid off because you dont use it, so why opt for a 9.3 x 64 which is equivalent to a 375H& H. The 62 is equivalent to a 338 and that is a nice bump up from the 30-06 and will allow you to hunt all of North America, Europe and plains game in Africa.

Preacher, I agree with your last paragraph above, but had to smile, because if one heads to the reloading section and looks at the 30-06/bear thread, some may disagree with you, for the record I am not one of them.

Jamila, as always, good information, thank you. I hope your parents are doing well

I guess it is never to late to get in to the mix :wink:. I shot the 375 H&H exclusively for approximately 10 years and that calibre never ceased to amaze me on its versatility. I did part with mine and I always felt a void after she left home.
I than had my 35 Whelen built and all is well in the Leier house hold again (y). The 06 is a great cartridge to build off of.
This is a very interesting post thanks to everyone for participating.

Blessings,
Dan

I do love my 9.3X64 Brenneke. However, Europe is correct, it is a ballistic twin of the 375 H&H. Still, I do enjoy working with something just a tad more rare in North America. The 9.3X62 will undoubtedly get the job done here in NA. And, as has been stated, the 30-06 loaded with the proper bullet is still a formidable cartridge.

DrMike":1oe06f7f said:
I do love my 9.3X64 Brenneke. However, Europe is correct, it is a ballistic twin of the 375 H&H. Still, I do enjoy working with something just a tad more rare in North America. The 9.3X62 will undoubtedly get the job done here in NA. And, as has been stated, the 30-06 loaded with the proper bullet is still a formidable cartridge.

We were able to outbid others at an auction in Europe a long time ago for a 9.3 x 64 that was built by Hartman and Weiss. Loved that rifle. Our daughter has it now and she also likes it.

Dr Mike, do you know Martin Hagn, I believe it is currently in your neck of the woods. He started out in Germany and we once bid on one of his rifles as well ( not a 9.3 x 64 ) but the bidding went higher than we were willing to go. But someday I would like to have a gun built by Martin as he is a master craftsman.

I do know Martin Hagn and his wife. Martin worked here in Dawson Creek at one time. He is the source for RWS brass (for the 9.3X64) when I need it. He does beautiful work, especially with his single shot rifles. His single shot action (and other work as well) is highly prized throughout North America. His work can be seen here, for those unacquainted with him.

http://www.hagnrifles.com/index.html

Bring lots of money if you want one of his actions. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! The rifle and I spent a little quality time with a good gunsmith this afternoon, and I now have a tentative plan. (Turns out the gunsmith is more optimistic about re-boring the existing barrel than I was.) Prior to meeting up with the gunsmith, I spoke with JES about re-boring a thin profiled barrel, and he said he liked to have a minimum outside barrel diameter of 0.570" at the muzzle to re-bore to a 9.3. I've not quite got that, but after looking at the amount of taper in the barrel with the gunsmith, we figured out that the barrel does have that diameter about 1.5 inches from the muzzle. (If worse comes to worse, we can shorten the barrel by 1.5", leaving it right at 22".) So, unless there's a hidden surprise somewhere, the barrel should be making a trip to the boring guru next week, and if it checks out for concentricity, will probably come back in a couple weeks as a 9.3x62. Anybody here need a Sako model 75 hunter in a .375 H&H?

Hot dog! I'm so glad things are working out for your rebore, what you save on rebarreling ( labor, barrel, bluing, bedding,etc.) will easily pay for your dies and components. OR buy some Lapua 285 Mega ammo, shoot it to break in that cut rifled rebore and end up with perfect, fireformed great (Lapua) brass for reloading! If indeed JES can do what you need done, and when you are ready, just send me a PM with your mailing address Maverick and I will send you this new box of Nosler 9.3 250gr Accubonds I'll never use! My SIL likes the Barnes TSX bullets in his 550 FS and I don't own another 9.3x62 anymore ( my 35 Whelen AI scratches that itch for me, ha) So Merry Christmas! ( for joining the Old World of Wonderful, Nostalgic Cartridges, ha) Rev Jim

Interesting note: It was early 1970's the first time I ever heard of the 9.3x62. It was an article in an old gun book (from the 60's). A one armed man who hunted with a Remington auto Mod 742 (30-06) was going on a Brown Bear Hunt ( gutsy dude!) He paid a gunsmith big bucks to rebarrel ( maybe rebore, I just don't remember, have slept since then!) his Mod 742 to 9.3x62! It was set up with 286gr factory ammo ( again, back then, it most likely was RWS ammo). It took the smith a bit to get it to work right, but work it did! ( Now we have Mod 7400s and 750s in 35 Whelen, that would/should be an easy rebore for JES!) That bear rifle story always intrigued me. Then, it was in the late 90's reading Finn Aagards write up on the 9.3x62 that had me have one made up. This was 'after" I screwed up my "first" 700 Classic 35 Whelen AI so I needed/wanted another thumper. ( I foolishly had that Mod 700 rebarreled/converted to 416 Taylor with a 20" barrel...even braked it was not good for ones ears, shoulder or cheek weld! :)) I was trying to make it a decent Cape Buffalo gun, and the 9.3x62 idea was better at the time...so many brainstorms, so little time! Good luck to you Pard.

preacher":2v7wtrij said:
Hot dog! I'm so glad things are working out for your rebore, what you save on rebarreling ( labor, barrel, bluing, bedding,etc.) will easily pay for your dies and components. OR buy some Lapua 285 Mega ammo, shoot it to break in that cut rifled rebore and end up with perfect, fireformed great (Lapua) brass for reloading! If indeed JES can do what you need done, and when you are ready, just send me a PM with your mailing address Maverick and I will send you this new box of Nosler 9.3 250gr Accubonds I'll never use! My SIL likes the Barnes TSX bullets in his 550 FS and I don't own another 9.3x62 anymore ( my 35 Whelen AI scratches that itch for me, ha) So Merry Christmas! ( for joining the Old World of Wonderful, Nostalgic Cartridges, ha) Rev Jim

Interesting note: It was early 1970's the first time I ever heard of the 9.3x62. It was an article in an old gun book (from the 60's). A one armed man who hunted with a Remington auto Mod 742 (30-06) was going on a Brown Bear Hunt ( gutsy dude!) He paid a gunsmith big bucks to rebarrel ( maybe rebore, I just don't remember, have slept since then!) his Mod 742 to 9.3x62! It was set up with 286gr factory ammo ( again, back then, it most likely was RWS ammo). It took the smith a bit to get it to work right, but work it did! ( Now we have Mod 7400s and 750s in 35 Whelen, that would/should be an easy rebore for JES!) That bear rifle story always intrigued me. Then, it was in the late 90's reading Finn Aagards write up on the 9.3x62 that had me have one made up. This was 'after" I screwed up my "first" 700 Classic 35 Whelen AI so I needed/wanted another thumper. ( I foolishly had that Mod 700 rebarreled/converted to 416 Taylor with a 20" barrel...even braked it was not good for ones ears, shoulder or cheek weld! :)) I was trying to make it a decent Cape Buffalo gun, and the 9.3x62 idea was better at the time...so many brainstorms, so little time! Good luck to you Pard.

Thank you for the kind offer! I may take you up on that -- 90% of it's near future hunting time will probably be for whitetail alongside my daughter, so the 250 gr AB is probably a great starting point. I'm really hoping this works out (the more I read and learn about this cartridge, the more excited I get...) Looking forward to playing with a new caliber and some reloads.

Quite amazing how many "good souls" are avalible at a moments notice to help fellow gun owners, in times of need. The moment they sense you are weaking in your desire to own one of your "extra" rifles or shotguns. The offers to " look after her" or better yet " keep it exercised" ,is pure proof that good souls, still exists! In this season of giving, its great to know if I start feeling, I have toooo many spare guns collecting dust in the corner, there is always going to be a place to move it to , where I know it is going to be well cared for, and more appreciation than I could ever give it! LoL..........

Ah, yes, Earle, the generosity of those precious individuals posting here often brings a tear to me eye. I cannot begin to say how often the generous offers have moved me to increase the insurance covering my firearms.

Earle & DrMike , I thought we were all family here and our generosity to take care of our brother's and sister's unused rifles was just a matter of passing them along to a family member who would give them the TLC they deserved and keep them in the family. :roll: :wink: :lol:

DrMike":3cxmcldl said:
Brother Rodger, don't get carried away.
Aw gee it's Christmas and I get excited and a little carried away when I think about getting presents. :grin:

truck driver":1u0zpgxl said:
DrMike":1u0zpgxl said:
Brother Rodger, don't get carried away.
Aw gee it's Christmas and I get excited and a little carried away when I think about getting presents. :grin:

You be careful, or Santa will put a lump a coal (or some EPA approved wind :shock: ) in your stocking.

Sorry to the OP for getting off topic and taking over his post but one last question please, DrMike what is EPA approved wind?

truck driver":rd2kdpa9 said:
Sorry to the OP for getting off topic and taking over his post but one last question please, DrMike what is EPA approved wind?

I dunno! Since they are regulating everything else that might be constituted as an energy source, I figured they were going to regulate the wind as well. :mrgreen:

Back