New Rifle Stock

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I got tired of fooling around with the lower grade synthetic stocks on the 338Wm and was ready to pull the trigger on a new McMillan for the Ruger M77 Hawkeye and almost had one ordered just needed to finalize what I wanted.
The barby grill went belly up last fall and the wife and I were in Lowes looking for parts or a new grill when we found out they were sold out of the size we wanted so we had them check out other stores in the area for the size we wanted and found a store with the size in stock so off we went to the other store. There is a GS I frequent on the way and decided to stop in and check things out. I knew ahead of time they carried H-S Precision stocks which was another reason to stop so I could see if they still had one for a M77 MK II long action.
They did so I carried it over to the sales clerk and asked if they could do a little better on the price ( $400 ) and he said he could knock $50 of the top so I brought it home with me since I'm a sucker for a deal and saved $200 by not buying the McMillan.
It has a full bedding block which the McMillan only had a rear pillar so I considered that a plus also.
It's dark brown with black spider web accents.
Please excuse the mess, I need to clean my work table off, it has been a catch all lately. :grin:
Here's some pictures.

Attachments

• KIMG0367.jpg
    KIMG0367.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,403
  • KIMG0365.jpg
    KIMG0365.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,403
  • KIMG0364.jpg
    KIMG0364.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,403
Excellent, that looks great! Looks like you are ready for your elk hunt.

Did your barreled action drop right in?

AFG270":2t0gxiz0 said:
Excellent, that looks great! Looks like you are ready for your elk hunt.

Did your barreled action drop right in?
yes and no, there were some tight spots that needed to be sanded out for clearance. I have a Timney trigger in it and it needs a little extra clearance plus there was a tight spot around the tang and front of the action. The trigger guard needed to be raised so the magazine floor plate would release. Very minor stuff and easy to fix with light sanding.

Took a few more pictures with out all the clutter in the back round.
It is now range ready after a little more sanding to add a little bit of clearance around the tang so there was no binding and the only snug areas are along the sides of the receiver. There is about .010" of clearance around the tang so there shouldn't be a second recoil lug or any binding.
At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the color on this stock but it sort of grows on you after while.
Now to get it to the range and see if the stiff stock and full action block helps it to shoot tiny groups. I'll be happy with anything under an inch and repeatable.

Attachments

• KIMG0371.jpg
    KIMG0371.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 1,341
  • KIMG0370.jpg
    KIMG0370.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 1,341
  • KIMG0369.jpg
    KIMG0369.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,341
Rodger, I know at least 4 hunters in this area that bought the HS precision stocks and have been very happy with them :wink:.
I am quite sure you will not be disappointed (y). Now for a couple of good range reports with a few photos I hope :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I didn't know HS made a stock for Ruger, I guess you learn something new every day. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's a nice looking stick.

taylorce1":znxcuj0n said:
I didn't know HS made a stock for Ruger, I guess you learn something new every day. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it's a nice looking stick.
On their web page they say it is unavailable but I found this one in a local GS. I have also sent them two emails and they have yet to respond to either one and could be too busy to respond but even so the one was sent over a month ago. Had they responded I would have probably bought one sooner and paid more for it then I did this one.
Thanks everyone for the comments there will be a range report coming soon but in a different post.

Back