Short throat??

Mtrigg88

Beginner
Aug 17, 2016
Hey guys, I recently purchased a Ruger American Predator in 6mm Creedmoor for a long range coyote/truck gun. I loaded up some 103 eldx in Hornady brass at an OAL of 2.80”. After learning the hard way before, I checked the first round to see if it would chamber, it wouldn’t. I forced the bolt closed so I could pull the round out of the chamber. When I got it out, it had obvious rifling marks on the bullet. So I went to 2.790. Still contacting rifling. Went to 2.755 and the bolt closes easier, but still into the rifling. Anyone else had this issue with a Ruger?? Kind of defeats the purpose of the cartridge having to seat the bullet that deep. I’m gonna contact Ruger Monday and leave out the fact that I’m hand loading and see what they say.

I just went and checked my predator in 260 with an ELDX OAL touching the lands measured 2.92+ so yeah sounds like your 6.5 is short.
If not sure what length the hornady precision hunters are laoded but you could try chambering one as more backup when you talk to ruger

After a few forum searches, looks like lots of people have the same problem with the 6mm Creedmoor cartridge in Ruger Americans and RPR’s and aren’t getting much help from Ruger. A couple of them said they got another .050 of free bore by using tubs final finish kit. Don’t know how I feel about firing gritty bullets down my bore though

having the throat lengthened would cure the short COAL . be sure you have the magazine length to hold the longer length ammo before cutting the throat . I really doubt the Tubbs bullets lengthened the throat by .050" that's a lot . if they are cutting that fast there should be no rifling left in the barrel .

does a sammi length chamber in the rifle ?

jimbires":3q09qax0 said:
having the throat lengthened would cure the short COAL . be sure you have the magazine length to hold the longer length ammo before cutting the throat . I really doubt the Tubbs bullets lengthened the throat by .050" that's a lot . if they are cutting that fast there should be no rifling left in the barrel .

does a sammi length chamber in the rifle ?

Agreed. I used the Tubbs system on 1 rifle as a last ditch effort with nothing to lose. I don't think it lengthened the throat by .005 let alone .050.

It accomplished what I was after with that gun so I was well pleased.

Been out of town for a week. Ruger emailed me back and stated they’d like to have the rifle back for inspection. In the meantime, I ordered an OAL gauge and with the 103 eldx, I’m contacting the lands at an average OAL of 2.710. About .200 shorter than my .260 rem. Ruger said their turnaround time is only 8 days at this time so I’m sending it back. Hopefully they will throat it’s out to at least 2.840 as the max magazine length is around 2.821. Before I called Ruger to setup the shipping, I called Hornady to get the OAL specs for the factory precision hunter ammo just to back me up, and it’s 2.790. While talking to him, he said they had had the same ammo sent back by a few customers stating it wouldn’t chamber in their Ruger American. Ammo was in saami spec when they checked it. So hopefully Ruger is aware of the problem and will make it right.

when you can't chamber factory length ammo , there is a problem . I'll guess Ruger will throat it to saami specs to keep them in the clear . I found this info . it shows 2.720 max COAL
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ding-data/

if it was mine , I would not want it throated out so long I could not reach the lands with magazine length ammo . I load a fair amount in the .010 jump area . I have one rifle that I jam the bullets into the rifling . I like to be able to reach the lands , and feed from the magazine .

jimbires":1hbtxfxh said:
when you can't chamber factory length ammo , there is a problem . I'll guess Ruger will throat it to saami specs to keep them in the clear . I found this info . it shows 2.720 max COAL
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... ding-data/

if it was mine , I would not want it throated out so long I could not reach the lands with magazine length ammo . I load a fair amount in the .010 jump area . I have one rifle that I jam the bullets into the rifling . I like to be able to reach the lands , and feed from the magazine .

Me too! I know some of these bullets just don’t care, but I don’t always have the bullets that don’t care. [emoji1]

FWIW I had a 6CM chambered by Travis RBros and my loaded rounds were all in that range, but with different bullets. i.e. the Berger 105 Hybrid, 115 DTAC RBT (2.736"-2.738") @ .040" off which is what it took to shoot consistently 3/8" moa groups. But here's the thing.....

Take a bullet and look to see how much of the bearing surface is in the neck! This is more then likely why! I think, you might notice where the bullet is in the case neck and needs to be seated that deep? At least it was for my barrel and the Boat Tails where still above the neck/shoulder junction in the case which is still a good thing.

You might find having longer is too long for any 6mm bullets and still have enough neck tension.

That is the case with the 90 grain game changers I loaded for the same rifle. I loaded them at Sierra book OAL which is 2.770 and only had .125 bearing surface in the neck. But that bullet has very little bearing surface. The factory precision hunter load from Hornady is loaded at 2.790 OAL. Using the same 103 eldx, I’m hitting lands at 2.710. At that length I’m crunching powder well below book max. It’ll be hard to convince me the throat isn’t too tight/short. I should hear from Ruger this upcoming week.

Back