Factory Seconds

Jar Head

Beginner
May 7, 2006
Hi Fellas,
Got a chance to stop in Bend the other day & I bought a bunch of seconds(160 gr. Partitions 7mm). Nosler assured me that the only flaw were blemishes, they look good to me, weights & toerances were there. I don't see much talk about factory seconds here, just wanted some different opinions on them.
Thanks

Hey, you did good, the factory seconds are a great deal.

For the most part, you cannot tell them from firsts. I shoot them a lot. I intend to go there next month and stock up myself.

I have shot a jillion varmints with them and several big game animals as well.

The only batches I have had that did not shoot every bit as good as "firsts" were some that had cannelures. Nosler usually does not put cannelures on their bullets, but they do this on bullets that are intended to be sold to major manufacturers for factory loadings so that they can be crimped.

A couple of batches that I purchased that had cannelures just did not shoot as well as expected. Not bad, mind you, but just not up to my expectations. I intend to avoid those types of bullets in the future, but intend to buy lots of Nosler seconds in the mean time.

I personally use a lot of the 160 grain Partition seconds and I am very happy with them.

I buy them all the time. I have only had a couple of bullets that were not perfect.(There was a couple of ballistic tips that had the tip missing) Weights have been consistant and the price is right.

Blaine

I just received my order today for some seconds (Thanks Nosler 3).
All I shoot are seconds, for load development, target shooting, and hunting. Accuracy is fantastic and on game performance is excellent.
Try some seconds, they will become your first choice. :wink:

JD338

sako75.jpg

FACTORY SECONDS

200 grain AccuBond
3175 fps
95 gr Retumbo
.292" at 100 yards
Below is a group at 300 yards
.675" at 300 yds.

They work just as good on game

sako.jpg

I did have some problems with a few 168 grain Nosler match bullets that were "seconds" a few years ago. Some of them had jackets that were obviously deformed. The bullets that looked good, shot good. The bullets that had obvious problems with their jackets did all sorts of weird things like:

1) coming apart in mid air - self destructing and never reaching the target. Was kind of interesting, the guy spotting for me could see them go "poof" at what he estimated was 30 or 40 yards from the muzzle.

2) terrible accuracy - this is a match rifle with a Krieger barrel - it regularly shoots very well, like 2.5" - 3" groups at 600 yards in good conditions. The obviously defective bullets were opening up to 6" groups at a mere 100 yards!

Lesson learned - and I figured this but wanted to try 'em - was that if they have obvious defects, they ought to be discarded rather than shot. On the other hand, most of the bullets in that batch looked fine and shot fine.

Regards, Guy

I shoot different brands of bullets, but my real favorites are always the Noslers. And all I buy any more are the 2nds. I have probably shot a thousand of them in the last couple of years. Out of 7m-08, 270, 280, 308 and 30-06. Never had an accuracy problem or a hunting problem with any of them. But I do have a couple of questions about the ogive meas.

Shoot them with confidence.

Long

All the comments I've heard about the Noslers out of Bend, Oregon have been favorable. Some copanies I'd be leery of but not Nosler. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

The only Nosler's that I shoot that are not seconds are those that I cannot get seconds in. 35-225 Partition, 44-250 PHG, 458-300 PPT. In fact I can't say that I've ever fired a BT or AB that was purchased as a factory first. I always inspect them, as I do occationally find a reject in the bag of seconds, but generally speaking they are premium bullets at a non-premium price. I don't like the cannelured bullets either. It is wise to ask for them to be non-cannelured if you care.

I need some. I want some.
How do I get them?? Online?? Go to Bend ??
Need your input.
Thanks.

Back