triggers for rem 700

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Im going to order a new trigger for a rem 700 but I dont want a skinny trigger and I want grooves in it.

I like the shoe on the winchester model 70 actually.

does anyone know what company has what im looking for?

Want 1.5# trigger that breaks like glass.

jewells I think are skinnier shoe and not ribbed so I think there out for sure.

Not sure about the Timney. I guess just check their site. One of two gunsmiths that has done a lot of work for me really likes the Shilen trigger for Remingtons. He gives the top marks. Worth checking there as well. Hope that helps.

David

The Timney on my old 7mm mag Rem 700 was wider and grooved. Very nice trigger actually.

My Rem 700 sports a Timney that has a wide shoe.. It breaks at about 2 1/2 Lbs and I have not adjusted it since it was installed by a smith.. I am very pleased with it.

Think ill just have smith tune the remington up. Nothing wrong with them at 2# either I suppose.

I already tried. Its a piece of work those new rems without xmark lol. I dont have the patience for it anyway.

thanks guys!

Timney listed on my phone :mrgreen:
1-623-223-1111
Really good folks to do business with give them a call you will not regret it but not sure what let off weight they have for your rifle?

I have one Jewell, three Timney's , and few older rifle's with the original triggers.

Timney has the features you want, maybe some others. Myself, I'm a great admirer of "skinny" triggers ( my favorite is Shilen, but I like smooth also, i.e. Kiplinger single set) of course, my wife is closer to "skinny", being a slender blonde, than she is "wide", so I may have a predilection bias, lol.

Jorey,

The 700 triggers are pretty easy to adjust.
All of mine break like glass at around 2.5 lbs which is where I want them.
The M673 Guide rifle is at 1.5 lbs. It is lighter than I wanted but it is perfect so I didn't want to mess it up.
Since you are going to have a gunsmith work on it, you have nothing to loose by giving it a try.

JD338

There's a gunsmith in B.C. that thinks the original Rem 700 trigger is still the best and they can be adjusted pretty easily by a guy like him.

To JD's point, if you have the original 700 trigger, you can order a spring from erniethegunsmith.com or possibly others, and lighten the trigger pull properly. A competent gunsmith should be able to install the new spring and properly adjust pull and sear engagement for you. I'm not entirely sure whether or not the X-Mark (either variant) is equally adjustable, but your gunsmith should be able to tell you.

The X-Mark pro adjustable is actually a pretty decent trigger when you put an Ernie-the-Gunsmith spring in it. I put one in my 700 Classic because I came to accept the notion that the old Walker trigger IS a bad design. I still have the original though and plan to have the connector tig welded to the trigger. That should make it a much safer trigger.

The older Factory M700 triggers are EXCELLENT after being worked over and that costs less then a replacement too ! :) RJ

I agree that the original trigger can be very good. I would also say that some that I have had were better than others. The one that came on my 700 Classic was one that wasn't quite as good, even after I replaced the pull weight spring with one from Ernie the Gunsmith.

I'm the last person who would support an attack on a gun manufacturer (unless they betrayed us, the citizenry)...nonetheless, I think every 700 owner owes it to himself to look this document over very carefully and with an open mind. I was VERY skeptical that there really is a problem with the Walker trigger and I still believe there was a lot of politically motivated chicanery going on when the media attacked Remington a few years back, but after looking this information over I could not help but come to the conclusion that the design is problematic.

http://www.rifflawfirm.com/areas/pdf/remington4.pdf

The truth just is what it is. Please look this info over if you're a 700 owner.

My favorite trigger on all my rifles is probably my gunsmith tuned stock Rem 700 on my Sendero.

I like the Timneys on my Vanguards. I only have a stock trigger on 1 or 2 Vanguards at this point.

However, I played with two Jewell triggers today on the McWhorter rifles I was working on for my hunting partner. Let's just say that I think for a high end rifle they're worth every penny more than a Timney.

Dr. Vette":7pklh40x said:
My favorite trigger on all my rifles is probably my gunsmith tuned stock Rem 700 on my Sendero.

I like the Timneys on my Vanguards. I only have a stock trigger on 1 or 2 Vanguards at this point.

However, I played with two Jewell triggers today on the McWhorter rifles I was working on for my hunting partner. Let's just say that I think for a high end rifle they're worth every penny more than a Timney.

No doubt about that statement. The Jewell out of the box just can't get better. Unless you have a Winchester!!

Back