Last of the deer

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Had a few deer steaks left that, judging by the last few, were a little on the tough side, so the misses pounded the daylights out of them with a tenderizing mallet and made country fried deer steak and white pepper gravy. It’s the first time we’ve ever fixed it that way, and I’m a fan! To finish it up was pineapple upside down cake.75C2B572-D14B-4269-99A3-080CBA0165DB.jpegFE1970F2-ED4D-45B5-A453-015839FD924F.jpeg

A feast fit for a king! All looks delectable. I must say that country fried steak and pepper gravy is food I grew up on, and I still love it. Upside down cake? Man, a little bit of heaven.

A feast fit for a king! All looks delectable. I must say that country fried steak and pepper gravy is food I grew up on, and I still love it. Upside down cake? Man, a little bit of heaven.
Yeah, country fried steak was a staple growing up, guess because cubbed was an affordable cut and everyone enjoyed it..which surprises me we never thought to do it with venison, until now.

Last year I had cubed a bunch the first time. My wife uses them in different soups and stews which she likes. She actually likes to eat them. Steaks or chops she won’t touch. I think this year I’m going to cube a whole deer. Way cheaper than buying stew meat at the store.

Last year I had cubed a bunch the first time. My wife uses them in different soups and stews which she likes. She actually likes to eat them. Steaks or chops she won’t touch. I think this year I’m going to cube a whole deer. Way cheaper than buying stew meat at the store.
I pretty much did the same last year, most of the time the steaks just got cubed up and mixed with something anyway when we cooked, much faster and easier to process.

We usually end up with 4-5 deer a year and we usually have one of them ground into burger..we use more ground than anything else like in chili, spaghetti, tacos, stuffed peppers and she makes hamburger Patties , but fixes them like Salisbury steak and gravy.

Looks good. (y)

I usually just keep steaks out of yearlings. Let them hang for between 1 and 2 weeks in a cooler and the hindquarter steaks are just a tad behind the backstrap for tenderness, and possibly slightly better flavor.

A big deer gets hung in a cooler just the same, but other than the backstrap and tenderloins, I typically cut the rest up for hamburg.

Last weekend we had 9 people here for a get together. Wife fixed up deer burgers and I grilled them. Got good compliments on the burgers, but that was my wife's doing, I just put the fire to them. Lots of good recipe's out there, but here's what she does with them if you care to try it.

In a 1 lb pack of loose burger she mixes in a tablespoon of Good Seasons dry italian dressing seasoning, a tablespoon of olive oil, a 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, a tablespoon of Worcester sauce, and a tablespoon of bread crumbs.

She mixes it all up and makes the hand patties and puts them in the fridge for a couple hrs covered on a cookie sheet. She thinks it coagulates the meat and oil with the bread crumbs better so it all holds together nice when you're cooking them. Great flavor.

I get 15% beef fat ground in with my loose burger, so that plus the olive oil makes for a good juicy burger. Can't hardly beat them in my mind.

Sounds delectable. Venison burgers are excellent.

She had made up 2 lbs worth of pre made patties and there was a few that didn't get cooked as there was plenty of other food as well. Next day I made some more and I had made up a horseradish dipping sauce with some mayo, sour cream, horseradish, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper. I slathered that dipping sauce on my hamburger bun instead of ketchep and topped off the burger with fresh cole slaw my wife had made from the night before. Oh my my..........I can still taste it.

I have no doubt it was a regal repast that left you and any who managed to snag just a wee taste feeling you had somehow drifted into unimaginably sensuous garden.

Looks good. (y)

I usually just keep steaks out of yearlings. Let them hang for between 1 and 2 weeks in a cooler and the hindquarter steaks are just a tad behind the backstrap for tenderness, and possibly slightly better flavor.

A big deer gets hung in a cooler just the same, but other than the backstrap and tenderloins, I typically cut the rest up for hamburg.

Last weekend we had 9 people here for a get together. Wife fixed up deer burgers and I grilled them. Got good compliments on the burgers, but that was my wife's doing, I just put the fire to them. Lots of good recipe's out there, but here's what she does with them if you care to try it.

In a 1 lb pack of loose burger she mixes in a tablespoon of Good Seasons dry italian dressing seasoning, a tablespoon of olive oil, a 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, a tablespoon of Worcester sauce, and a tablespoon of bread crumbs.

She mixes it all up and makes the hand patties and puts them in the fridge for a couple hrs covered on a cookie sheet. She thinks it coagulates the meat and oil with the bread crumbs better so it all holds together nice when you're cooking them. Great flavor.

I get 15% beef fat ground in with my loose burger, so that plus the olive oil makes for a good juicy burger. Can't hardly beat them in my mind.
That'll certainly be on the menu this fall. We also do a 15% fat mix and add some A C Leggs blend 10 seasonings at the rate of 1 TBS per pound and it makes some of the best breakfast sausage I've ever had.

That'll certainly be on the menu this fall. We also do a 15% fat mix and add some A C Leggs blend 10 seasonings at the rate of 1 TBS per pound and it makes some of the best breakfast sausage I've ever had.

Have to try that Hunter! You mix it in and just make up a homemade pattie and fry it up as a sausage pattie?

Back