10 / 10 / 15 Range day 3006

RAY

Handloader
Jan 31, 2015
image.jpegI would like your opinions !
I was very surprised !
Everything hand loaded with rcbs partner press and dies.

Imr 4350 loads.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 723
Accuracy is very encouraging. You may be able to improve accuracy marginally by playing with seating depth. However, there is nothing wrong with the groups you have for tagging out on deer. Do you have any idea of velocities and/or standard deviation of your loads?

DrMike":3pm354ax said:
Accuracy is very encouraging. You may be able to improve accuracy marginally by playing with seating depth. However, there is nothing wrong with the groups you have for tagging out on deer. Do you have any idea of velocities and/or standard deviation of your loads?
I really don't know too much about SD.
From what I can tell about the velocity ,is most of the charge weights are all seem to be in the same ball park .

I sighted in with Noslers AB 165 gr to the bull and then shot the loads .

Ray

While not absolutely necessary, a chronograph delivers a wealth of information concerning your loads. If standard deviations are low, it is indicative that a group can likely be tightened with adjustment of seating depth. This means that the particular group you see is indicative rather than being an aberration. The velocity can give you some idea of the need to adjust charge weights before pressure signs appear or recommend an increase in propellant charge weight. Still, those are some fine groups. Congratulations on doing a good job at the bench.

You've got some pretty doggone decent groups there!

Best of luck hunting. One of my favorite bullets BTW.

Regards, Guy

DrMike":s3ybf5sb said:
While not absolutely necessary, a chronograph delivers a wealth of information concerning your loads. If standard deviations are low, it is indicative that a group can likely be tightened with adjustment of seating depth. This means that the particular group you see is indicative rather than being an aberration. The velocity can give you some idea of the need to adjust charge weights before pressure signs appear or recommend an increase in propellant charge weight. Still, those are some fine groups. Congratulations on doing a good job at the bench.
Thank you Dr. Mike, I'm very surprised how things turned out .
I might leave things where they are and choose a load for hunting ; play with seating later on
Ray

Guy Miner":1gyruh50 said:
You've got some pretty doggone decent groups there!

Best of luck hunting. One of my favorite bullets BTW.

Regards, Guy
Thank you GM ?

While it's true that rifles/components have come a long way since he wrote about it, but I tend to agree with Jack O'Connor. "Any 30-06 that will "consistently" shoot into 1.5" is a very accurate rifle. I have shot smaller groups, but I can't count it 'consistently". In my experience, it is a rare 30-06 that can beat that w/o a lot of tuning ( i.e. bedding, better trigger, etc) You are "in the berries" right now pard, have a great hunt!

RAY":3aryo9wn said:
Thebear_78":3aryo9wn said:
Looking pretty good!
Thank you !
This is my first time hand loading and first time out.

Ray

Congratulations. The IMR 4350 loads in particular look quite good. Looks like your load development is almost complete and quite quickly too. Nice when it works out that way.

gerry":2a5yw0hn said:
RAY":2a5yw0hn said:
Thebear_78":2a5yw0hn said:
Looking pretty good!
Thank you !

Ray

Congratulations. The IMR 4350 loads in particular look quite good. Looks like your load development is almost complete and quite quickly too. Nice when it works out that way.
Thank you Gerry !

preacher":12qkdl8f said:
While it's true that rifles/components have come a long way since he wrote about it, but I tend to agree with Jack O'Connor. "Any 30-06 that will "consistently" shoot into 1.5" is a very accurate rifle. I have shot smaller groups, but I can't count it 'consistently". In my experience, it is a rare 30-06 that can beat that w/o a lot of tuning ( i.e. bedding, better trigger, etc) You are "in the berries" right now pard, have a great hunt!
Thank you Preacher !

RAY":e7qd8kf8 said:
Thebear_78":e7qd8kf8 said:
Looking pretty good!
Thank you !

Ray

...so Ray, now that you've 'built' a few, & shot a few, what do you think about your foray into 'Handloading"???

wildgene":zt1kaop9 said:
RAY":zt1kaop9 said:
Thebear_78":zt1kaop9 said:
Looking pretty good!
Thank you !

Ray

...so Ray, now that you've 'built' a few, & shot a few, what do you think about your foray into 'Handloading"???
Well WG , I like it !!!!! I'm blown away from the results !
Putting God first in all that I do and the fine folks here that have answered my questions and posted their pics of their targets gave me the confidence to go for it !

All the answers that have been given from the most influential people from this forum have led me to this successful experience .

I shot 53 rounds yesterday all from sandbags with only using my trigger hand and my left hand squeezing for elevation . Something I've never done before and holding my thumb to the side of the rifle grip to keep from gorilla gripping the rifle.
Shooting at multiple targets on a 2'x 3' board is a first for me as well .

8 rounds of 165 gr. Nosler factory ,16rounds of w 760 and 29 of Imr 4350 were surprisingly clean ( I didn't clean the bore not one time ) .
I wore a shoulder pad the whole time , I was taking a beating !

I've been researching this stuff for about four years and then started asking questions on this forum since the beginning of this year and other forums as well , this nosler forum ROCKS !!!!
Oh , I used a pop up canopy to keep the rifle shaded from the sun and walked down range after every 3 shot group with the bolt opened for cool down .
Very thankful , Ray

Looks like you have several good groups in there, and some are very nice indeed. Like someone earlier said you can play with the seating depth on some of the others to try and tighten them up.

RAY":2d0opa2x said:
wildgene":2d0opa2x said:
RAY":2d0opa2x said:
Thebear_78":2d0opa2x said:
Looking pretty good!
Thank you !

Ray

Well WG , I like it !!!!! I'm blown away from the results !
Putting God first in all that I do and the fine folks here that have answered my questions and posted their pics of their targets gave me the confidence to go for it !

All the answers that have been given from the most influential people from this forum have led me to this successful experience .

I shot 53 rounds yesterday all from sandbags with only using my trigger hand and my left hand squeezing for elevation . Something I've never done before and holding my thumb to the side of the rifle grip to keep from gorilla gripping the rifle.
Shooting at multiple targets on a 2'x 3' board is a first for me as well .

8 rounds of 165 gr. Nosler factory ,16rounds of w 760 and 29 of Imr 4350 were surprisingly clean ( I didn't clean the bore not one time ) .
I wore a shoulder pad the whole time , I was taking a beating !

I've been researching this stuff for about four years and then started asking questions on this forum since the beginning of this year and other forums as well , this nosler forum ROCKS !!!!
Oh , I used a pop up canopy to keep the rifle shaded from the sun and walked down range after every 3 shot group with the bolt opened for cool down .
Very thankful , Ray

...that's 'Great', but there's a downside, the time hidden away from friends & family in a place where you have to concentrate just enough to make the 'White Noise' of the world take a backseat for a short while while you build "The Perfect Load", the range time testing & 'proving', more bullets, different powders, more equipment...

...not to worry, though, you've got a whole cheerleading section of enablers, who are mor'n happy to help you out (watch out for Dr. Mike & that Scotty guy)... :shock: :roll: :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

Back