110 ab or 115 ballistic for 2506

eas02

Beginner
Nov 10, 2006
Going to load some 2506 for my fathers 26" weatherby. He uses it only for white tail deer and was wondering witch bullet would be better 110 acubonds or 115gr ballistic tips? he shoots in the feilds and deer can be from 50yds to 400yds.

hmmm,
I would try out the AccuBond, of course, I dont think you can go wrong with either, although I think the AccuBond would be my choice out of my 257roberts. What kind of velocity are you expecting out your dad's 25-06?
I suppose it would boil down to what kind of accuracy you can get with either.
I know, try em both! 8)

Either one will work great. I'm a die hard BT fan and would go for the 115g myself. I've had great results on mulies and whitetails out to 600 yards with that bullet. It never failed to exit my bucks. The AB was just as accurate out of my rifle, but I dont really use my 25-06 for deer anymore, just coyotes. I would try the BT's first, then the AB. Whichever's most accurate at 400-500 yards is the bullet I would use.

what powder and primer are you using with the 115 gr?? i have once fired remington brass. What is your load data and vel?

My favorite load was 51.5g of RL-22, CCI 200 primer. Groups were .5" at 100 yards, and 4" at 500 yards. Velocity was around 3100fps. I also have a couple other loads with IMR-7828 and a hotter load with RL-22, but I will not post them on this board as I'll probly get flamed for the velocity I was getting. Lets just say I was running them plenty hot. Well just for safeties sakes, I worked up to 57g IMR-7828 and was getting 3400fps out of my 24" 25-06, and 1" groups at 100 yards. That was back when I was hung on velocity and 1" was good enough. Not anymore, I look for the utmost in accuracy. I dont advise that load, and if so, start around 50g and work up. I also went 56g IMR-7828 with the 117g SST and was getting 3360fps. SO my velocities are what they are, I dont care who says what, my loads were hot so thats why the velocities are what they were. Good luck in finding a load but whatever you do, dont start at the top with IMR-7828 or RL-22, as they were very MAX loads in MY rifle.

OK are we talking 25-06 or a 257 Weatherby? :?

I've used the ballistic tips and they are good bullets, they're accurate and do a number on deer. However, i've settled in on the 110gr AccuBond in my rem 700 classic 25.06. It's very accurate in my rifle and it's performance on game has been excellent for me. My load is 53.5grs RL22, rem brass, fed 210. You could flip a coin as either will get the job done and done quickly.

Interesting discussion. I have to admit that I've been hunting with a 100 grain Barnes TSX loaded to 3340 fps from my .25-06 Remmy. Went with the TSX mostly out of curiosity and found it to perform well, but I wouldn't mind getting back to a Nosler for hunting with that rifle. Where I hunt a fellow can be faced with a 25 yard shot, and that same day a 400+ yard shot, so it's important to have a bullet that won't self-destruct at close range, and yet will still open up and perform at longer ranges.

Regards, Guy

Rem Man -

I couldn't agree with you more on the velocities. I have done similar testing and had similar results. Yes the charge is over max for current manuals, but the old manuals will concur. Of course the powder is better quality and consistency so each rifle behaves a little different with the pressure curve. The only question is gong to be the twist in the rifle barrel and which bullet it stabilizes better. some don't handle the 115 - 120 gr bullets at all.

Just my two cents,
Steve D. the HP

I agree with what everyone has said. If it is a 25-06 I would lean towards the 115gr BT for deer. I have yet to have a bad experiance with the 25-06 and the Ballistic Tip.

Ok i think the laod im going to make is 115 balistic tips with 52gr RL22 with cci primers and once fired rem brass. What are you trimming the brass to?? shouldnt have much to trim since its once fired brass and also what is the mol?? I dont have the rifle here but planning on making them between advertized min and max OAL. Do you know these figures? And thanks everybody.

Back