140gr bullet for a 7STW

ElkHunter

Beginner
Jun 24, 2008
I am having a 7STW built on a Ruger #1 with a 28" Shilen barrel on it. I'll most likely put a Leopold on top and she should shoot flat and happy. If I'm lucky enough, maybe I'll get a mule deer hunt in this year, therefore I'm thinking about putting some loads together. I think I'm going to be on the right track with 140gr bullet and working up loads with both RL22 and IMR7828SSC.

Got any Nosler suggestions for a 140gr bullet for a 7STW? I've shot 95grBT's out of my 6mm Rem and 165gr Partitions out my 30-06 with a lot of success. My 30-06 doesn't like the 150AB's though, 3-3.5" groupings??

Does anyone thats had experience hunting with a 7STW have any bullet suggestions and some experiences they can share?

My 7 STW likes either of the following with the 140 gr. AccuBonds:

IMR-7828-79.0 grs.
3375 fps.-.6” group @ 100 yds.

RL-22-76.0 grs.
3375 fps.-.75” group @ 100 yds.

I am just now testing some of the new 150 gr. E-Tips.

All of these use Rem brass and GM215M primers.

Always tweaking...........

Bob

Not a mule deer, but my last STW hunt last fall.
292 yards-140 gr. AccuBond.

IMG_0951.jpg

My best load for deer was

140 BT 80 gr 7828
3500 fps and 1.25" at 300 yards. Rem 700 Sendero.

175 GMKS on top of RL-25 in 3100 range.. Devastating.....

Wish I could get a 165-175 BT for whitetails.

Nice Antelope Bob!

I've only recently started to see antelope in the wild for myself.
Work has taken me about 200 miles south from home, only about 180 miles North of Montana(instead of 360miles), and there are some antelope here. It's been a real pleasure to get to see a small herd about 400 yds onto a field feeding and a doe with two fans just about on the road when we were heading to work.

CC

ElkHunter":b4xfhrar said:
I am having a 7STW built on a Ruger #1 with a 28" Shilen barrel on it. I'll most likely put a Leopold on top and she should shoot flat and happy. If I'm lucky enough, maybe I'll get a mule deer hunt in this year, therefore I'm thinking about putting some loads together. I think I'm going to be on the right track with 140gr bullet and working up loads with both RL22 and IMR7828SSC.

Got any Nosler suggestions for a 140gr bullet for a 7STW? I've shot 95grBT's out of my 6mm Rem and 165gr Partitions out my 30-06 with a lot of success. My 30-06 doesn't like the 150AB's though, 3-3.5" groupings??

Does anyone thats had experience hunting with a 7STW have any bullet suggestions and some experiences they can share?

Personally, I like a high BC bullet for hunting speedgoats where the winds can be significant. Bullet drop is easily calculable but shifting winds are not.
I used a 162gr A-Max bullet with a BC of .625 (if I remember correctly) at maximum book velocity. The 7STW is a big cartridge and is ideal for shooting the heavier bullets. Results were very good on this pronghorn which was taken @ 450yds.

7247Antelope.JPG
[/img]

Welcome to the forum ElkHunter.

For that large of a cartridge I would use a longer bullet with a better BC. Its the wind drift that gets us. At least it does if we have a LRF and data.

Another thing is that I don't think the 140 BT will penetrate as far as I want it to at high velocities in big deer. Using the 140 BT out of a 270 WSM as an expample I found that to be so.

I load the 168 Berger VLD in my 7mm WSM and once you run the numbers you may want that performance also.

Good luck

THe .284" 160grn AccuBond has a BC of .531. THe Shooter's Pro Shop has seconds on sale for 11.95/50bullets if you want an good hunting bullet for cheap.

CC.

Sounds like a great build, Ruger #1, SHilen Barrel, 7mm STW, sounds like it will have a lot of reach with the long barrel. Keep us all posted on here with pics if ya can. We all love to hear of the custom builds, and how they turn out. What are you planning for mounts and optics? Tapered base, or straight base?

CC.

Didn't mean to run off about the antelope. :oops:

Here is the spec. on the 168 gr Berger VLD.

" 7mm 168 gr Match VLD 0.284 168 0.643 10 twist"

Thus it has a BC of .643 and requires a minimum 1-10" twist which most all 7mm's have.

168gr-VLD.jpg

Thanks for sharing all the information. She's got a 1:10 twist and I am going put a Leopold VXIII 4.5x14x40mm. I bought a box of (100) Hornady Interbonds the other day. I will probably load those just to break the barrel in and run 75-100 shots through it to just to put some mileage on the barrel. Had no problem picking up 8mm unfired brass.

Then I think I will try to dial in some 140gr Accubonds on top of 79gr IMR 7828scc and see how they shoot. I'm also intrested to see how the Barnes tipped TSX shoots out of her too. Thats a nice long bullet.

You guys did a number on a couple of nice goats! Good work.

Bobcat:

Please post your results with the E-tips.

Elkhunter...Please post yours also. I shoot a 7mm rem mag but anything 7mm interests me.

ElkHunter, Welcome to the STW club.
If you plan to shoot a 140gr bullet, the AB is the way to go. Launch speed out of the STW can be a little hot for the BT. Personally, I load the 160gr AB's in my STW. I like the extra mass incase I decide to use it for something like Elk or Moose, and I also like to price of the seconds. 8)

I just finished working with a Remington Custom KS developing some loads using Rl22.
Bullet used-AccuBond 140gr
Powder RL22
Primer CCi250

The rifle has a pressure point almost at the tip of the stock, gave excellent accuraccy with a very stiff 82gr RL22 charge. In my test rifle the charge was safe, no extraction problems and seems the limit on the primer, primer pockets OK.
4 shots/ 3in .277" center to center and one opener to .877".

Back