170gr partition in 30-30

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I just picked up a couple hundred 170gr partitions from sps. I think this should be a perfect bullet for Blackbear, caribou, and moose in the 30-30. I picked up an older marlin 336 last summer from a buddy of mine and put a lyman peep on it. I figured my 11 year old could use it for spring bear baiting next year. He shoots my encore 308, 130 TTSX @ 3000fps, pretty good but the recoil starts to get to him after a few shots and the 30-30 is more fun for him to shoot. I also figured a repeater might be nice too.

Depending on how well he does with the peep I might mount a small red dot on the rifle for spring bear. Ranges would most likely be under 50-60 yards with plenty of time for him to line up the shot and I'll be there to back him up with a big gun, 375 Rum or 45/70. Too many brownies around to go in without an artillery piece!

I have quite a bit of IMR 4895, varget, H414, and 748 to play with. Anybody have any pet loads for the 30-30 and this bullet? Any experience with this bullet on big game?

The 170 grain Partition would be an excellent bullet in the 30-30. Within range, it would work quite well for the game you named.

I highly recommend hogdons leverevolution powder for the 3030. It really gives my marlin a little extra speed, less pressure and burns really clean.
My 20" marlin does 2174 fps w/the Partition over 36 grains. Absolutely no pressure and at 100 yds 5 shot groups usually hover near 1" w/ at least 3 holes touching.
LE also works great w/ 150 class bullets and really good w/the 160 hornady gummy tip spire point.
I plan on using the Partition for whitetail on Brushy drives in Wis where shots are almost always under 40 yds. Then I'll slip in the hornady 160 if sitting on logging roads where shots might be 200 yds.
Just plain fun bringing the old 3030 to life!

I’ll have to see if I can find any of that lever revolution powder. I think I remember seeing some in town somewhere. Other than that I have an 8lb can of IMR 4895 sitting on the shelf that could load up a few hundred rounds of 30-30.

I should expect that IMR 4895 will serve you well in the venerable 30-30. While there are newer powders available, that particular powder has served quite well for many years. I've used it extensively in both the .356 and the .307 with good results.

I run LVR at 2290 with the 170 Speer and Sierra. Very accurate in my little M94. I've been wanting some of those 170 PTs for years but the plain old 170's work real well in the 30-30. The PTs should be pretty danged awesome.

C Broad Arrow":1wxzh6mc said:
Has anyone used this load in a Savage 99 with a rotary magazine? And if so how did it work?

I tried to run the 170 Speer Deep Curl FN's through my M99 300 Savage and they didn't function for crap. Spitzers worked a whole lot better.. Other results may very.

Back