175 grain ABLR elk recovery

Looks good Scotty, looking forward to hearing the details of your hunt.

It got the job done Buddy and looks like it held up decently. 75% weight retention out of a big 7mm is a good deal.
Just curious what the bright ring around the case is all about?

It got the job done Buddy and looks like it held up decently. 75% weight retention out of a big 7mm is a good deal.
Just curious what the bright ring around the case is all about?
It's where it rides in the ammo box. I guess 4400 miles tends to make stuff shiny:LOL:

I'd bet I have a shiny spot on my 5th point of contact with the truck seat as well.

Yeah I have that shiny spot also but it is getting dull since I retired.
But the hospital bed I laid in for a week might have rubbed some of the dullness off.:unsure:;)

I forgot to add, these ABLR's are absolute killers. I am waiting for pictures of another one we recovered from a cow elk as well, just about the same shape and final dimensions. Cleaned house. From the Mashburn Super at 3090 to start they were instant elk putter downers. No wandering around or anything. Three elk with that same load. I wasn't sure what to expect, but seeing enough now, I could and will trust them. While they maintain a big frontal area, they retain enough to drive deep while doing incredible damage to the insides for clean, quick kills.

To be honest, I hated them in about every other rifle I tried. I wanted to love them but they just never shot GREAT, well, in the 8 twist Mashburn, they are simply amazing really.

I have shot alot of groups like above to know I don't need to fiddle with the load.

And before someone says, well that was 600 yards, how do they hold up, up close, well, take a look at our bullet test area, you'll see they have been jammed into water jugs at 25 yards and look nearly the same, they violently expand and load 50/60% and the rear stays intact to usually get caught on the far side. Says alot about them to me.

Can't beat that kind of accuracy, talk about a stomper of a long range load starting at 3090 fps. Going to have to try the 165 in my 6.8 W when I get to reloading for it.

Classic performance from that bullet. I've had mixed success with the ABLR. When it works, it is awesome.

Classic performance from that bullet. I've had mixed success with the ABLR. When it works, it is awesome.
Same here Mike. They have made me think I’m crooked at times. But boy when they shoot, they do well.

Back