175 Speer Grand Slam

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
My buddy wants to run the 175 GS as a more budget friendly option in his 7 RM for deer, whitetail, and hog. I Don't have any first-hand experience with them since the redesign. Sometimes he'll have shot opportunities well under 100 yards, and my concern is will they maintain their integrity at short range at 7 RM speeds?
Thanks

Those distances on those game with that cartridge, I'd be leaning to the Hot-Cor instead of the Grand Slam which has a thicker jacket. People have gone quite concerning the Hot-Cor for some reason but they are extremely capable especially out to 200m. I think I read a survey one time where 9/10 dead game said that the Hot-Cor was the most effective they had experienced in the sub-200m range :ROFLMAO:

Those distances on those game with that cartridge, I'd be leaning to the Hot-Cor instead of the Grand Slam which has a thicker jacket. People have gone quite concerning the Hot-Cor for some reason but they are extremely capable especially out to 200m. I think I read a survey one time where 9/10 dead game said that the Hot-Cor was the most effective they had experienced in the sub-200m range :ROFLMAO:
I'd love to see that survey! :sneaky: You are assuredly correct in your assessment. The Hot-Cor would work quite well under those circumstances.

Speer doesn't make a 175 Hot Cor, pretty sure they top out at 160 gr in 7mm which would be a good bullet. We have had a lot of experience with the 175 gr G.S. from deer to moose and your buddy will be fine, they open up well. Speer Hot Cor's and Grand Slams are some of the best bargains out there for good big game bullets.

With a muzzle velocity under 3000 I think he’ll be fine. If anything mono will hold well at short range , but they’re pricey.

I think you'll be fine. The Grand Slam is a tougher bullet, with a hard core toward the base and a softer core at the tip... kinda like a Partition without the guilding metal separating the two cores. I run them in my Whelen... one of the local shops in Lewiston was selling blems buy the pound, and I bought a bunch. The only critter I've ever shot them at was a muley doe, I don't think the bullet slowed down much.

Last edited:
Speer doesn't make a 175 Hot Cor, pretty sure they top out at 160 gr in 7mm which would be a good bullet. We have had a lot of experience with the 175 gr G.S. from deer to moose and your buddy will be fine, they open up well. Speer Hot Cor's and Grand Slams are some of the best bargains out there for good big game bullets

If that's the case then I would go the 160gn projectile. What you are hunting and those distances the game will not know any difference. Plus if your mate is budget sensitive, then the 160's will be cheaper

My brother in law has me load him the 165 grain Grandslam in his .300 win mag. He shoots both mule deer and elk with it. The one he has caught is a perfect mushroom weighing just under 100 grains in retained weight. Ideal, probably not, adequate, certainly.

I've shot a lot of deer with the 145 gr Version from a .280 Rem. I think of it as a Hot core +. I'm not stomping on them, running around 150fps below max, in the 7mm-08 range. They open up well, and drive through. I hunt big deer near the Canadian border, they're a bit tougher than what you have down South. I'd think the 175 GS will be a good meat bullet, but certainly overkill in the 7RM. A 160 Hot core or GS will get you a little more shock and awe. I'd go with the GS if his shots tend to be closer, the Hot Core if longer.

"I think you'll be fine. The Grand Slam is a tougher bullet, with a hard core toward the base and a softer core at the tip... kinda like a Partition without the building metal separating the two cores."

Not any more. Speer discontinued that bullet a little while back. Current Grand Slam bullets are just a normal single core bullet with slightly harder lead alloy and somewhat thicker jacket. I still have a couple boxes of the older two core bullets that are reserved for my .280 Rem. It's very accurate in that rifle and velocity runs a hair over 2900 FPS. I also have a few boxes of the newer style as well but haven't shot them yet. I might try those in a 7x57 I have if they don't work out in the .280.
Paul B.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the GS...

It always amuses me when a simple question gets diverted 13 different ways to Sunday...
My buddy wants to run the 175 GS as a more budget friendly option in his 7 RM for deer, whitetail, and hog. I Don't have any first-hand experience with them since the redesign. Sometimes he'll have shot opportunities well under 100 yards, and my concern is will they maintain their integrity at short range at 7 RM speeds?
Thanks
"my concern is will they maintain their integrity at short range at 7 RM speeds?"

your buddy will have no issues with that bullet.

There is no do everything perfect bullet for all things 4 legged on earth, and 2 legged for that matter, but the GS is perfectly capable of achieving your goals and make your concern a non issue.

I just bought 200 of the 175gr Grand Slams to shoot mainly in my 7STW or my 7mags.I haven't shot any of the newer ones,but the older style dual core ones worked great. I shot in 145gr and 160gr my 7mags.They worked like a bonded bullet and left very little bloodshot meat around the wound channel.I even shot one deer through both shoulders with the 160gr and there was minimal meat loss.Midway had the 175gr for $18.57 a 50 count box right now,so why not try them. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010548979?pid=688346 .Here is the 145gr Grand Slams I recovered.Both these bullets made a lot of bone contact and you can see they held up quite well.I killed a lot of deer with these,these two are the only ones I was able to recover.I see no reason the 175gr wouldn't do the same.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 15-45-03 SP157_Speer2023CatalogV2_Web.pdf.png
    Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 15-45-03 SP157_Speer2023CatalogV2_Web.pdf.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 5
The Speer Grand Slam is one that interests me. Mostly because I have a slew of 285 grain GS in .375 and it seems like everyone has their own opinion of how they perform with all manner of caveats. I suppose I'll just have to buckle down and shoot some pork this summer.

This is good to hear. I picked up a couple boxes to try. I like the 175 gr partitions in my 7mm08. Should I say the rifle likes them. Havnt had an oppertunity to shoot anything but a running yote that had just got shot at by the neighbor opening day. I missed too. Can't find any noslers and with only one 50 CT box left I figured I'd better try to find something else. The Grand Slams looked like they were some what plentiful and easier to find.

The Speer Grand Slam is one that interests me. Mostly because I have a slew of 285 grain GS in .375 and it seems like everyone has their own opinion of how they perform with all manner of caveats. I suppose I'll just have to buckle down and shoot some pork this summer.
I've got a partial box of those 285 grain .375" Grand Slams as well. Never have loaded or shot any of them. I ought to change that. :)

Guy

I've got a partial box of those 285 grain .375" Grand Slams as well. Never have loaded or shot any of them. I ought to change that. :)

Guy
I've got well in excess of 500 due to a killer sale at Grafs a while back; like $10.99 for 50. At the cost of powder and the rarity of primers these days, it's likely going to be more than a lifetime supply.

Back