180gr Accubond in 300wm

sodak

Beginner
Apr 26, 2011
I was finally able to work up a load for the AB in a 300wm. The final load was 67.0 H4350, WW cases, Fed 215 match. All 3 shot groups were 0.75in to 0.9in at 100yds. Velocities averaged 2952fps out of a 26in barrel.

Every time I tried to push the AB faster (with RL-22 or any other powder) my groups opened up to 1.25in to 1.5in. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sodak,

This is not the uncommon. In many rifles, and even in many cartridges using slower powders, the best accuracy comes when the chamber pressure is slightly less than maximum. This translates out in many cartridges to be at two percent or so below maximum charge. Whilst one may obtain more velocity, it is at the expense of accuracy. 2952 with a 180 grain AB is not a bad velocity and the accuracy seems to be there. That is roughly what I see with my 300 WSM and with the 300 WMs I've loaded for in the accuracy department.

I'll just echo what Dr. Mike said. And I'll add that I am confident you won't hear any different complaints from the game you chase, with regard to the velocity. They'll all make that same sound - thud!

A wise man on this very forum has a signature line that says something to the effect of "Velocity is impressive, but accuracy kills." I'm paraphrasing and not elegantly, but you have found the grail. Enjoy!

yes i have expr with the rl 22 opening up my groups. load was 70 grains. tried imr 4831 68 gr. and a 200 gr. ab and groups went to the size of a dime in 3 shots at 100 yds.

hmmm..... I've been getting 3100+ with rl22 and the 180AB...... 1"-1.5". I was hoping to tighten the group up a little, maybe I'll back down and try some 4350......

I have been able to push a Sierra Game King 180gr 3022fps with 74.0gr RL22 and get MOA or a little better. If I switch to the AccuBond then the groups open up. I know-different bullets like different things in different barrels. I just liked the idea of a bonded bullet with a little better BC. I don't mind the lower velocity, especially if it is consistent through temperature variations (like the Hodgdon website claims). I'll have to use the chrony in summer heat and winter cold to see if this plays out.

I checked the published velocity of the Nosler 180gr AB factory load and it was 2950fps. Just wondering if they stopped at that velocity because they might have been seeing what I was seeing.

FYI, I'm shooting a new Rem CDL that I just bought in Feb.

Sodak,

I'd be inclined to believe that Nosler stopped at the charge they used because they reached pressure max and not because of accuracy.

I use RL-22 in both of my 300 WM's, right around 72.5 grs will get 2950-3000 fps and dead nuts accuracy. Have not seen a difference with brass (win or rem) or primers (cci and fed 215m). Looks like you have it worked out. CW

Swap bullet type, bullet weight or seating depth.

All you can do is try.

I know I wouldn't be ashamed of 2950 out of a 180gr AB. Seems like a great load and even a 100FPS wouldn't mean too much unless you were into the LR type shooting, and even then, its just a few clicks of elevation! Scotty

The only powder I have ever used in the 300 Win Mag with a 180 gr bullet has been RL 22. It has shot under MOA in 3 different rifles.
The charge weight is 75.0 grs and my COL has been just under the rifles magazine max length.

JD338

I was shooting H1000 and RL-22 and doing OK with good velocity (3100+), groups around 1" at 100yds with the 180 AB.
Just for kicks I tried some H4831 and shot 3 into the same hole, and another 3 shot group of 3/4". Velocity average was around 3050 without crunching the exact number.
I recently picked up a lb. of H4350 for my 6.5-.284, I might have to try that, too.
I've been testing the 200gr AB also but don't really want to burn the faster powders and give up the fps, H1000 has been working pretty well.
Rifle is a Win M70 Classic Stainless (New Haven) rebarreled with a 24" Benchmark SS heavy sporter in a HS Precision stock, .300 WM of course.

I am loading a few more grains of 4350 with Remington and Winchester cases. If you have any handy try the 180 Partition, I do not get little tiny groups but right at an inch. If you need a handfull let me know. As scotty and mike and others have said nothing you shoot will know the difference in velocity . As far as that goes nothing you shoot will know the difference between .90 and 1.25 either.

My reloads of 180gr Accubonds with 74.0gr of RL-22 and Federal 215 Mag primers shoot 0.4" groups @ 100 metres with my Sako m75ss 300WM. The reloads barely fit the magazine...maybe 1 sheet of paper pass between. LOVE THIS LOAD and RIFLE!!!

Set up for 3.5" high at 100 metres. This rifle/load will reach out and knock my animal down if I cant call them in or put the sneek on any closer-Thats the fun part! The bull moose last year didnt know what hit him-come charging in-heard him grunting and running thru the creek water, grunting coming thru the timber edge and into the cutline where he stopped......and then BOOM BOOM....moose down....first evening out at camp. What a rush. Good bull between 36-39" if I remember right.

I have 2 other buddies with the same rifle/scope setup. The one I have reloaded for (we bought our rifles together back in 1997) and his is with 75.0gr of RL-22 with about 0.6" groups. My other friend shoots the factory WS 180gr Accubonds from right now.

I have loaded for three 300 win mags. Picky is my best comment on all of them. While IMR4350 with a 180gr ballistic tip has normally shown good accuracy. When switching to the AccuBond 180gr, IMR4350 was unsatisfactory. I tried many different loads/powder combos looking for the best velocity/accuracy combo. I'm now shooting the Etip 180gr using H1000 in my longrange 300winmag. It has shot 300yrd groups equal to the best 100yrd groups i ever got using the 180gr AccuBond. One thing i found on loading any bullet in the 300winmag, OAL and sizing to headspace on shoulder is very important. Right now my longrange 300 is a weatherby vangard. It has a very deep throat and a 3.5" magazine. The other is a ruger 77 it has a short magazine. It has shown best results with 165gr AccuBond re22

My 700 BDL long throat loves them accubonds with a case full of H4831sc. This rifle likes partitions or accubonds, 180,s at .015 off the lands. Both bullets shoot sub moa with same powder and components. It is getting tough to pick which one to use. Not a bad position to be in I guess. :grin:

Welcome to the forum. H1000 is a good powder, though others may give you better performance with the 300WSM. Start low and work up to a safe maximum. The 300WSM is not particularly fussy to load for; it tends to digest quite a variety of powders with aplomb. If your magazine permits, play with seating depth once you have a load that gives you reasonable accuracy and velocity.

Back