2012 Hunting Pictures

Congratulations to your lady. That is an excellent buck; she has every right to be pleased with that shot. The .284 is one of those cartridges that is just too good to die. I'm glad to see it used from time-to-time.

Her FIRST buck? :shock: She's spoiled for sure now... :grin: That thing has points on its points!

Dang, that's a nice buck. Congratulations to both of you.

Guy

AWESOME buck, and yeah, that is spoiling her! HA! Great shooting on her part. Way to go!

Great deer and a beautiful girl! Bet your so proud of both of them. Lovely picture that will come to mean more and more as the years go by. 8)

Thanks guys. It was an awesome moment for us to share that is for sure. She shot her first deer ever (doe) 2 years ago and I think it's to the point now that I have to get her "her" rifle. I'm thinking a 243 would fit the bill nicely as she wants to hunt coyotes and deer as well as shoot at the range with me.

A beautiful Buck. Looks like a great day!!!! Congratulations on her deer, and your catch!!!

just joined the forum, so i thought i would share my 2012 mule deer with you all. watched this guy for 4 months and killed him opening day with my 270 win. shooting a 140 grn AB at 270 yards. im super pumped to have harvested him. he is 29'' wide and scores 201 1/2'' for those who like score.

View attachment heavy wide buck.jpg

hhunter23":1xszught said:
just joined the forum, so i thought i would share my 2012 mule deer with you all. watched this guy for 4 months and killed him opening day with my 270 win. shooting a 140 grn AB at 270 yards. im super pumped to have harvested him. he is 29'' wide and scores 201 1/2'' for those who like score.

Welcome to the forum; it's good to have you aboard. Your handle matches the picture you posted. That is a great buck. You are to be congratulated for taking a great specimen. Give us a few more details, if you would.

this is a northern Utah general season rifle buck killed on october 22, we first spotted this guy in late july when we were setting trail cameras. i eventually found him again and was able to get some semi decent video of him through my spotting scope. we didnt see him again on the hoof until opening morning, but we did get trail camera pictures of him up until the hunt started.

opening morning found me and a buddy glassing for this buck from 900 yards away, i located 4 other bucks before i came across him. he was headed over a small finger into another draw, i decided to make a stalk i made it into the position that i wanted to be in but was unable to locate the buck. so i headed back to my glassing ridge and sat there all day until about 4:30 when i spotted the buck at 965 yards. i then began to question as to what i should do. put him to bed make the stalk tomorrow at first light? try it now, wait to see what he does.... i was in a state of panic until my buddy said if you dont leave right now and go shoot that deer im going to! off i went. 2000 vertical feet later and an hour and a half later i was in position looking for the stud.

i climbed a small rock outcropping to get a better visual of what was behind me when i spotted the buck standing broadside staring me down. i had no time to range him but i knew he was close enough, i laid down put the leupold scope on his shoulder, exhaled, as i slowly squeezed the trigger. as i felt the recoil and picked him back up, he was back-peddling, so i placed another one in him to knock him down, and down he went. the next few minutes were a blur but i remember getting my pack so fast and getting to the buck, and just holding his antlers that i forgot what time it was and what my buddy was doing the whole time.

we ended up gutting and taking the head back to our camp and left the rest of the work for the next day. it was a total of 25 miles in 3 days. a total of 7000 vertical feet climbed and one giant buck for the books. i cant wait till next year!

Welcome to the forum! That is one heck of a buck... Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the story. They're much appreciated around here.

Regards, Guy

I went over with a friend to an area I drew a buck tag in this year. I had never hunted there before. We shared 3 days of fun and some great times in the field. We saw lots of deer and quite a few elk, but no legal bulls. I found this guy and made a great 200 yard downhill shot from the sitting position. He went about 20 yards is all. It was a quartering away shot and I recovered the AccuBond. I'll post a picture of it when I have a chance. He's not a huge buck, but sure is pretty! He had really dark chocolate antlers and was really fat. The jerky making starts tomorrow. I used my 1B 30-06 and 165 gr. AccuBond. You should have seen the buck we saw AFTER I got him, and in sight of our camp no less later the same day. I could not be happier though.

DeerHunt2012006.jpg

DeerHunt2012007.jpg

DeerHunt2012003.jpg

DeerHunt2012005.jpg

Found this aspen that a black bear climbed at some point. It was pretty neat to see how he scampered up the tree.

DeerHunt2012013.jpg

That's a great account, hhunter23. David, you have every reason to be pleased with that fine buck. Congratulations.

hhunter23":2rbe2kiz said:

WOW! Great buck! Congrats on that HOG!! What a mulie.. That is the stuff for magazine covers!

6mm Remington":2jvb6r60 said:
I went over with a friend to an area I drew a buck tag in this year. I had never hunted there before. We shared 3 days of fun and some great times in the field. We saw lots of deer and quite a few elk, but no legal bulls. I found this guy and made a great 200 yard downhill shot from the sitting position. He went about 20 yards is all. It was a quartering away shot and I recovered the AccuBond. I'll post a picture of it when I have a chance. He's not a huge buck, but sure is pretty! He had really dark chocolate antlers and was really fat. The jerky making starts tomorrow. I used my 1B 30-06 and 165 gr. AccuBond. You should have seen the buck we saw AFTER I got him, and in sight of our camp no less later the same day. I could not be happier though.

DeerHunt2012006.jpg

DeerHunt2012007.jpg

DeerHunt2012003.jpg

DeerHunt2012005.jpg

Found this aspen that a black bear climbed at some point. It was pretty neat to see how he scampered up the tree.

DeerHunt2012013.jpg

Nice buck David! That is excellent! Glad you were able to stock your jerkey stash! HA! Surprised that old 30-06 had enough gas at 200 yards... You must have been holding on the moon to get it in there! :twisted:

Back