2012 Hunting Pictures

SJB358":3enk8n48 said:
WOW, congrats to your daughter! Great shooting on her behalf. Give us some details.

The details.....not much too it really, 3 nice does came thru a shooting lane at about 75yds and stopped as they tend to do....she put it right behind the shoulder just like I have been showing her (our family dog has been helping with the demonstrations).

Now the details from my point of view......

I had (via trail cam's) found a very active trail near the river which is one of our property lines....moved a double stand to a tree that I thought would be a good spot, and cleared and mowed down a old skidder trail which provided a very wide shooting lane. We share stands at my club, if it is your stand, you have 1st shot at it....if you don't hunt it, it is available to any other member to use.
I asked (for the first time ever) that no one hunt the stand before the youth weekend....everyone seemed to understand.
All told, probably 6 hrs worth of work put into the set-up (all worth it!)

So far, I've got the 3x4 muley with my 30-06 using 180ABs:

(NOTE: I thought I had set the date on the camera - obviously I did something wrong until fixing later in the week)

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0048.jpg

Camp on Oct 20th:

DSCN0042.jpg

And again on the 27th:
DSCN0055.jpg

Now that I have pictures, I had the privilege to assist a young lady (16 yrs old) to fill her first antlered elk tag on the 20th. She was so excited, I thought she'd cut a finger off notching the tag and attaching it to him. Dad and I got him gutted out as it was getting dark quickly, some what disguised him with some small pine trees as he had to get her home for something going on Sunday. He came back up Sunday morning with all of the legal necessities to transport her elk w/o her being there, and we got the bull back to camp, hung and skinned. Sorry, don't have pics from in the field, but here's a couple from today when her Dad got home with it.

Unfortunately he'd broke off the left brow time some time in the past - it would be awesome if it was as weird as the right.

D4B8AF72-DBF5-4AD6-9D5C-2BD20C3CC903-252-0000004D54B05110.jpg

53B4C623-FDC7-47F0-AB61-D3E7D9712CE8-252-0000004D4B5E4925.jpg

VERY awesome! What a ton of character in that bull! Very happy hunter there Rich! Great job!

That is quite a respectable bull the young lady tagged. Good on you for encouraging her, Rich.

Very nice bull for the young lady!

Actually, a better-than-average taxidermist can replace the broken tip, where it will look pretty good. I agree to the individual character of that bull .

Well done folks,

Here are a few pictures of an elk hunt that was last week in Montana. The weather was great for most of the hunt, with snow almost every day. We were camped at about 7800' and did most of the hunting at elevations around 9500'. We had 4 bull tags and 2 cow tags, which were all filled :grin: . My cow tag was the last one filled on Thursday afternoon. We were only seeing bulls for the first 3 days and couldn't figure out where all the cows were. Once we pushed the last dranage, it was obvious that the bull in that group had most of the cows herded up yet. There were 21 cows in the group mine was shot from.

Home Sweet Home
P1010458.jpg

P1010457.jpg

Buddy's bull taken the first evening of the season:
P1010465.jpg

719 yard shot with 6.5WSM and 140 grain bullet:
P1010464.jpg

First bulls hanging:
P1010469.jpg

Mountain grouse playing peek-a-boo:
P1010471.jpg

Evening watch of a nice park:
P1010474.jpg

Bull and a cow taken the next eveining:
P1010480.jpg

Bull that had all the cows tied up:
P1010491.jpg

Cow taken with 300WSM and 180 grain partitions:
P1010488.jpg

Note natural deodorizer and coffee can to hold toilet paper :lol:
P1010499.jpg

Meat is cut up and packaged...will be making elk chilie for deer hunting camp tomorrow!!

Joel,

Awesome pictures. Congratulations to you and your camp on a very successful hunt.

JD338

257 Ackley":2jtluv0g said:
719 yard shot with 6.5WSM and 140 grain bullet:
P1010464.jpg

Joel! Someone shot him in the ear! Now he can't hear! Congratulations on the group. You did very well. Great report.

Just got back from my Elk hunt in Colorado. As usual we had a great time, did a little fishing when the weather was too hot and windy for hunting. All and all a very good time though we didn't get an Elk. But as usual, murphy's law of hunting pervailed, when you only have a bull elk tag, look what show's up.

SANY00553.JPG

6mm Remington":2xx783o6 said:
Congratulations on a great hunt. The pictures were gorgeous Joel. Were you guys down in the Lima area?

Just North of there. Our usual way of getting on the BLM land was changed due to a rancher retiring and his sons taking over the ranch and closing the access roads. We ran into one hunting party that was staying at a hotel in Lima. I would not want to do that drive every morning to get up to where we were hunting. We saw one small herd of bighorn sheep up there, so they are starting to come back as well. It sounds like a few wolves were shot/relocated since I was there in 2010.

My wife's first buck.
100_1346.jpg

Made an excellent shot at ~180 yards using my 284. The buck was quartering towards us and she drilled him on the point of the shoulder with a 160AB. More or less separated the top of the heart from the lungs and kept going right on out the other side. He ran about 30 yards and fell over sideways.

Congrats to everyone on their 2012 hunting success!

Back