2024 Hunting Season

Had another great day on the field on Saturday, with my wife, mother and step-father!
We hunted an area a few hours northeast of Fort St John where I used to work.
We saw a few deer (whitetails and mulies...but no whitetail buck for Susan) and moose, including the south end of a northbound bull moose that seemed to remember an urgent appointment somewhere deep in the dark timber...he was wide, but never did get a look at his rack, other than to note that he had long tines on his paddles, so obviously a younger bull in his prime. We also saw a couple of cow caribou, that stopped to give us a quick look before disappearing to the black spruce.
We saw no other hunters in the area, but did see lots of moose, grizzly and wolf sign along the trails and roads. From time to time we also found deer, caribou, and bison sign.
With less hunting pressure in the area, we did manage to bag a number of spruce grouse and a few ruffies. The 28 gauges continue to earn their keep! Everyone got to have some fun adding the upland birds to the bag!
Just before last light we came across a couple of nice young caribou bulls, and the 140 gr Trophy Bonded Tips from the 270 WSM at 210 years convinced one to come home for dinner. The broadside shots fully penetrated the bull so I do not have a recovered bullet to test for expansion or retention characteristics, with this being the first animal I have taken with this bullet and rifle. I can say that there were two very distinctive "whops" as the bullets struck the bull, and he went down quickly, so obviously they performed as intended!
He fell within a couple of steps from where he took the shot. While a very narrow rack, he had two shovels, two very nice back points and 4 and 5 points on the tops. He had one broken tine from fighting. And he had a beautiful thick white mane. It is with regret that we later realized we had neglected to take photos of this beautiful animal! (more interested in getting him processed as much as possible before we had to use headlamps and flashlights). We shall have many tasty meals from this young bull!
I missed this post earlier this week. Congratulations.

Finally got my first antelope buck, last antelope i shot was over 30 years ago, when i was 16 or 17.
Shot was under 200yd used my 264wm with 143 norma bondstrike, shot was high and got it in the spine and back strap :(. Some recent back issues had me changing up my rifle choices for this year so going to go for a 1 gun season using the one that weighs the least.
Congratulations. It is nice when they are close to the truck, and you have a helping hand.

yesterday evening I took a 9 point with my crossbow . I shot it at 5:40 pm . I decided to run home and get my dog Sally while I was waiting for time to track . I knew where it stood when I shot , and I picked out a few landmarks that it passed when it ran off . I got Sally close to where it was standing and away she went , with me in tow . she hustled through about 80 yards and just stopped . put her nose in the air , doubled back a little , maybe 10 feet , she went up hill . in about 10 or 15 yards the buck was laying there . I'll say about an 80 yard tracking job in less than 5 minutes . I'm very happy with how she has come along . I think this is # 6 for her . we went back up today to look for my arrow , but couldn't find it . I looked for blood along the trail to where I dressed out the deer . very little blood ,the chest cavity was filled up , it would have been a tough one to find . I'm very happy I took the time to run home and get her . she needs the experience , and she turned a potentially bad situation , into a pleasant tracking job . now the deer hunting is out of the way , trapping starts this coming Saturday .

2024 Pa buck 3.jpg 2024 Pa buck 2.jpg

Congratulations, Jim. Was that buck one of the ones on your wish list? Looks like an excellent hit and Sally did a great job for you.

thank you Fellas , I'm really happy with Sally . I've learned a bunch on handling her when we go tracking . She just keeps getting better . I think we didn't find two . one was on our lease . she really didn't seem very interested in tracking it . a few days later we got pics of that deer on camera , it looked just fine . I had a chance to talk with another guy that has a tracking dog . he told me that when a deer is mortally wounded the scent gland in the hoof changes smell . if the deer isn't putting off that smell , some dogs won't track it . I'm thinking that might be why she wasn't interested in tracking that one . the other deer we didn't find was a friend on public land . he gathered up some of his buddies and tried to find it , before he called me . so as they looked they spread the scent all around . it makes it hard for the dog to figure it out . we didn't find the deer , but Sally took us to a fresh gut pile . I'm not sure if it was his gut pile , but it was in the area his deer ran . it was supposed to be a good buck . we think someone came across it , and took it .

No , this one was not on my wish list . he showed up and I just kind of went automatic . I can remember thinking he is inside a stump that ranged 20 yards , and he's broadside . I aimed and shot . I did put a good hit on him .

Guy , I'd love to be able to get around the guys that train those dogs . those guys have forgot more about training , than I could ever hope to know . I've never seen the LE dogs work in person , but I've seen it on TV . WOW , are they impressive dogs .

we got Sally when she was one year old . I was thinking she would be too old to be able to train her, but I'd give it a try . she has proven me wrong . she seems to learn easy , and has been a wonderful addition to the family . she's my shadow , I never get too far away from her . when she sees me get out her "work clothes " , her vest and long leash , she goes nuts . I usually have a hard time getting her vest on her , she's jumping around so much . Sally will be four , October 27 .

Back